Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Rural pubs should be open.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

As we approach 5 months without Pubs perhaps it is time to start preparing for their permanent closure, Ireland has a severe alcohol problem which kills more people annually than any virus, pubs contribute little to the real economy and their minimum wage jobs aren't exactly the engine of the economy. I would be in full favour of ending them permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

When's the announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's not decided yet. Fake news at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

ShyMets wrote: »
    So what is the criteria for pubs to reopen. We cant open them when we're getting between 40/50 cases a day. We didn't reopen them when we were averaging low to mid teen daily cases numbers.

All this suggests that pubs won't be reopening any time soon

There seems to be none.
    And they certainly won’t be opening the 31st of August with the reopening of schools, so perhaps some time in late September at the very earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Over the last 5-10 years there is a continuous attack on country life between Garda station and post office closing.
    Now they are coming from our pubs
    GAA matches with limited numbers
    Limited numbers at mass
    And they still haven’t tested everyone.
    It’s four months now... they whole country should have been tested to at least give people an idea if they had it or not

theguzman wrote: »
    As we approach 5 months without Pubs perhaps it is time to start preparing for their permanent closure, Ireland has a severe alcohol problem which kills more people annually than any virus, pubs contribute little to the real economy and their minimum wage jobs aren't exactly the engine of the economy. I would be in full favour of ending them permanently.

They’ll be back. Thankfully.

There’s more to life than hillwalking and cycling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

joeguevara wrote: »
    Pubs in Northern Ireland are operating under the same restrictions as we are in the Republic. What does that do to your argument?

:confused:
    What argument ? Wasn't making one. Was looking for clarification.

Relax. Go for walk. Breathe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I suspect the majority of people would oppose that view. And not everyone who goes for a drink in a pub is a raging alcoholic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Joining thread for the meltdown.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Last count I saw was that in a population of 5 million we have 5 people in hospital with Covid. Assume pubs will never open until there are zero cases and zero in hospital with a virus that has stopped harming people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

This is just sad. We're witnessing an industry being singled out and hammered into the ground. I feel very sorry for any publicans impacted by this, I can only imagine the anger, frustration and desperation they're feeling right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Sconsey wrote: »
    Ehhh make informed decision based on the best information made available to them from experts in their fields.

You're pissed off because the medical experts providing advice are not elected?

Politicians are elected to make decisions Based on the advice... not to create the rules as the HSE committee says. The committee doesn't represent the businesses who employ the people and pay the taxes which keep the state afloat financially. That's the job of the elected politicians.. or in this case the current FFFG administration.

If you don't understand how a democracy is supposed to work or If you like to be ruled by unelected committees then move to North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

This is just sad. We're witnessing an industry being singled out and hammered into the ground. I feel very sorry for any publicans impacted by this, I can only imagine the anger, frustration and desperation they're feeling right now.

Why do you think that the government is singling out the pubs?

Loud hint that the pubs will be pushed back until August 31st. I have a lot of sympathy for publicans who are being mercilessly strung along, while American tourists fresh in from Covid hotspots can meander around Ireland to their heart's content.

Loud hint that the pubs will be pushed back three until August 31st. I have a lot of sympathy for publicans who are being mercilessly strung along, while American tourists fresh in from Covid hotspots can meander around Ireland to their heart's content.

That one really boils me. While I wouldn’t open the pubs yet, it’s a complete disgrace the travel we’ve allowed into this country. Absolutely spineless leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Don't like them, you don't have to go near them.

It's a whole mess, tourism is at a standstill, pubs which bring people into towns and city centre streets will remain empty... a collapse in revenues being generated due to lack of "non-essential" spending by the public.. which goes on to affect the rates being paid to councils by these businesses...
    Now the pub sector can apply for grants to the FFFG government which means more loan bonds being purchased and will have to be paid back by the shrinking pool of taxpayers in the state...

That one really boils me. While I wouldn’t open the pubs yet, it’s a complete disgrace the travel we’ve allowed into this country. Absolutely spineless leadership.

That's a fair point and fair question but do you have to go to the extreme you did in your last sentence to try and get your point across?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

statesaver wrote: »
    :confused:
    What argument ? Wasn't making one. Was looking for clarification.

Relax. Go for walk. Breathe.

You weren’t looking for clarification. If you were you would simply have googled it. You assumed that Northern Ireland’s pubs with no restrictions and had no Covid increase and were making a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,919 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bybthis stage, any publucan who is so dumb-as-fück that s/he hasn't got a pizza oven and figured out how to serve food should be closed for good.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    That's a fair point and fair question but do you have to go to the extreme you did in your last sentence to try and get your point across?

Extremes? Take a long hard look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Loud hint that the pubs will be pushed back until August 31st. I have a lot of sympathy for publicans who are being mercilessly strung along, while American tourists fresh in from Covid hotspots can meander around Ireland to their heart's content.

Well there is no way numbers will have reduced much from what they are now so they wont be opening then either. Whether you believe they should open or not, publicans are being led a right merry dance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Tell that to the thousands who depend on them for a living

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

why in gods name say august 31 ? why no say pubs are shut full stop. indefinitley, why bither with this august 31 thing? sure the dogs on the street know it will kept being put back. anyway wont make a difference any publican thats wants will open now, get a deep fat frier or take awy across the street .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

:D:D Spoken like a true new-age lefty liberal. Ban, cancel, close. The go-to solution to something you don't like or agree with it. Well, guess what, a hell of a lot of people enjoy frequenting them, even if you don't. Perhaps your ire would be better directed towards pulling down a statue or something virtuous like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Muted. Blocked. Reported. :pac:

But, seriously that's pure bollox about the pubs closing permanently.

We're not quite the nanny state yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Why in the hell there isn’t flight bans on America and other countries at this stage is a sad joke

Pubs are being sacrificed for absolutely chaotical and cowardly leadership by both Martin and varadkar

There should have been a proper travel ban months ago. Now we have this sh1t storm of a situation

Pathetic

Bybthis stage, any publucan who is so dumb-as-fück that s/he hasn't got a pizza oven and figured out how to serve food should be closed for good.

And a restaurant licence as well or just get a pizza oven and hope for the best?

• Advertisement

Extremes? Take a long hard look at yourself.

"Absolutely spineless leadership" is an extreme statement. Fair enough, question them but this government and the ones before them have taken some fairly unpopular decisions. That's not "absolutely spineless".

You don't agree with them on this. Fair enough. You ask a fair question. But statements like that just end up polarising the debate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement