Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

hmmm wrote: »
    We need factories. We don't need house parties or pubs or restaurants or non-food shops. If people don't act responsibly, the government will have to start closing down all the non-essential stuff again until the numbers improve.

Until the money runs out.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Oh my actual brain.

There's no data on this from Ireland because we're very special, but in America, 3% of the workforce work nights:
    https://consumer.healthday.com/encyclopedia/work-and-health-41/occupational-health-news-507/shift-workers-646677.html

And in the UK, it's close to 12%.
    https://www.tuc.org.uk/news/number-people-working-night-shifts-more-150000-5-years

Can't you think of all the occupations this applies to?

7 days a week?

Anyway, it’s just the same as making the same argument as to what people to work until 3am every day did before any of this? Tough titty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

We need factories. We don't need house parties or pubs or restaurants or non-food shops. If people don't act responsibly, the government will have to start closing down all the non-essential stuff again until the numbers improve.

I'd say the 40000 plus employed in pubs and restaurants and the 100s of thousands of people employed in non food shops would disagree that we don't need them, unless you've got a plan to cover their mortgages and bills..........

• Registered Users Posts: 32,719 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

most pubs that serve food aren't following protocol anyway except a few bits of virtue signaling nonsense, geuinely dont understand why smaller pubs haven't tried to do the same, and organized a deal with a local food business or just microwaved or toasted some sandwhiches or whatever for display in case the garda show up
    Not my experience I have been to 6 pubs, 3 in cork the rest in Dublin. All with spaced out seating, hand sanitizer, limited numbers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Until the money runs out.
    If you think people are going to be rushing back to pubs while we let a pandemic rage out of control, you only have to look at the US to see how well that strategy has worked out for pub & restaurant owners. Businesses themselves have started to insist on masks as they know that the number one concern of most of their customers is whether it is safe.

• Advertisement

If the Govt were smart they could allow pubs to open tomorrow and save the economy at the same time. Just restrict each customer to 3 drinks and you can only purchase a drink if you hand over 1 of the 3 tokens you're given when you enter the pub.

It'll be the Irish equivalent to bitcoin in no time.

Boozecoin™.

If the Govt were smart they could allow pubs to open tomorrow and save the economy at the same time. Just restrict each customer to 3 drinks and you can only purchase a drink if you hand over 1 of the 3 tokens you're given when you enter the pub.

Boozecoin™.

All the pubs pulling the piss at the moment with hours and food wouldn’t bode well for that being stuck to.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I'd say the 40000 plus employed in pubs and restaurants and the 100s of thousands of people employed in non food shops would disagree that we don't need them, unless you've got a plan to cover their mortgages and bills..........
    Government need to provide support to this sector to tide them over until a vaccine arrives. That's not to pay landlords their rent, but to pay employees and business owners a basic wage to allow them survive. I wouldn't want taxpayers money going to landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

SusieBlue wrote: »

served a group of lads from London here on a stag in the restaurant he works in too.

**** me what a crappy stag weekend they had

Well we have 26 flights landing in Dublin over the next 4 hours alone.
    I just checked the arrivals on the airport website, and there are 112 flights landing tomorrow, including flights from Boston, Chicago, two New York flights, Doha and Dubai.
    There are numerous French and Spanish flights, as well as other known hotspots.

112 flights cannot possibly be filled with repatriating Irish citizens.
    They can’t all be travelling for essential reasons.
    And 112 incoming flights in one day is an absolute disgrace when they are still preventing industries from owning up.

I have also seen tourists locally myself, over the weekend I saw a few groups of Americans at a local tourist spot taking pictures and my brother served a group of lads from London here on a stag in the restaurant he works in too.

They are here and it’s happening. It’s a kick in the teeth for the businesses who are looking at another month of being closed while they let god knows who into the country with no fcuks given.

It’s the biggest disgrace in all this. Both our “leadership” and us as a public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Government need to provide support to this sector to tide them over until a vaccine arrives. That's not to pay landlords their rent, but to pay employees and business owners a basic wage to allow them survive. I wouldn't want taxpayers money going to landlords.

There might never be a vaccine, you need 80%+ global uptake, it's not going to happen. It will need to be mandatory and everyone in every country needs to get it, it's a pipe dream.

Unless we control the border we may just let all those businesses fail as there is no future for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

most pubs that serve food aren't following protocol anyway except a few bits of virtue signaling nonsense, geuinely dont understand why smaller pubs haven't tried to do the same, and organized a deal with a local food business or just microwaved or toasted some sandwhiches or whatever for display in case the garda show up

I've been in 7/8 different pubs/hotels/ restaurants since the reopening and all have been adhering to the guidelines, and spoken to people who have been others that seem to be the same, so you seem to be well wide of the mark by saying 'most'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Agreed, the 350 was fine as a stopgap, but now that you're effectively banning people from working, you better have a backup.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

CorkRed93 wrote: »
    Whats different to a pub serving food at 3pm to 12am? The virus is either dangerous in doors in close settings or it isn't. The time of day doesnt matter.

I am one of the biggest supporters of 24 hour licensing laws in the country. I go abroad to a particular foreign city where on Sunday night we all end up in a bar at 4am and I can order food, it's the dream. I'm also someone who works late shifts (pub) and would love to go get a few beers and a bite after work some times like other people in 9-5 jobs do. But this is clearly a play to let customers stay past the 105 minutes and keep serving them drink, otherwise they'd have extended their kitchen hours during normal pre-covid times. It is naive to think they are doing it so people can book a table at 11 at night to go for an hour an half dinner and a drink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

So pubs in Cork are closed due to sh1t hole factories in Leinster - madness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I just checked the arrivals on the airport website, and there are 112 flights landing tomorrow, including flights from Boston, Chicago, two New York flights, Doha and Dubai.

And 112 incoming flights in one day is an absolute disgrace when they are still preventing industries from owning up.

I have also seen tourists locally myself, over the weekend I saw a few groups of Americans at a local tourist spot taking pictures and my brother served a group of lads from London here on a stag in the restaurant he works in too.

They are here and it’s happening. It’s a kick in the teeth for the businesses who are looking at another month of being closed while they let god knows who into the country with no fcuks given.

It's a strange one alright. I haven't been following the daily briefings - have the government given any reason for allowing that volume of flights in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Numbers visiting are down about 95%, all these flights arent full, far from it, going on anecdotal evidence. Now i agree with you that we should be stricter on tourists from hot spots but the idea that planeloads of americans are landing every day juts isnt the case

• Registered Users Posts: 32,719 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

PTH2009 wrote: »
    **** me what a crappy stag weekend they had
    Good tbh....they should feck off back home early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

mean gene wrote: »
    So pubs in Cork are closed due to sh1t hole factories in Leinster - madness

are you that ignorant that you are really blaming leinster for lockdown due to covid? maybe we rename it the leinster virus?

trump, is that u?

There might never be a vaccine, you need 80%+ global uptake, it's not going to happen. It will need to be mandatory and everyone in every country needs to get it, it's a pipe dream.
    We'll know hopefully by end of October whether the three front runners have vaccines which work, and all three show strong results so far. After that they need to manufactured which will take time.

After that it will be up to everyone in the country to do their bit to get vaccinated & protect those who can't be vaccinated. 80% is too high, but it will need to be a high %. Vaccinations don't provide 100% protection, so I expect you will need to show a vaccination cert to travel on a plane or get into certain places - people who are vaccinated won't want to mix with potential carriers of a still-dangerous disease.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

are you that ignorant that you are really blaming leinster for lockdown due to covid? maybe we rename it the leinster virus?

trump, is that u?

No I'm blaming leinster sh1t holes for an increase in covid numbers Forest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

You do understand, that if people went to pubs, instead, they would have contact with more people right?

No, I don't. You're going to have to explain to me how people magically have contact with more people going to pubs that don't serve food, as opposed to pubs that do serve food and restaurants that have wedged people in.
    You do understand food isn't a magic vaccine, right?

Book a table for x people in a pub at a specific time, drink with those people socially distanced from others with table service, in an environment where pubs will be quick to kick people out while they're under scrutiny. Versus turn up at a house party without a definite idea how many people are going to be there, who they are, or what state varying people will be in. Given the noise I could hear until 5am last weekend, I'd guess slightly tipsy at least.

Last time I was in my local was March 13th. They had hand sanitiser inside the door and by the toilets, were encouraging people to use table service, and asking everyone to pay by card where possible. They closed two days later, and are the only pub still closed in a fairly trendy area that's full of jammed restaurants with no social distancing and pubs taking the piss out of the food regs. I suspect there's a fair chance they might not open again, especially now.

Meanwhile the supermarkets were rammed full of people panic buying for a week after that before they finally got around to introducing queuing, hand sanitiser a week or two later, and eventually realising baskets needed to be wiped. I stopped going to my local Dunnes, full of ostenatious "look how conscientious we are" signage and announcements when I noticed how they were cleaning the self service tills between each customer - wiping the basket area and the scanner, but ignoring the touchscreen and the credit card keypad.

Out of pretty much all the businesses in my locality, the one which was actually proactively behaving responsibly 5 months ago has been closed ever since. Out of an unsubstantiated belief that opening it will be a grave threat to public health. While the government ignores known issues like house parties, and has a laughable attitude to quarantining arrivals.

Sorry, I'm a bit thick, I actually don't understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Boozecoin™.

A smart Government?

When was the last time we had one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Poorside wrote: »
    I've been in 7/8 different pubs/hotels/ restaurants since the reopening and all have been adhering to the guidelines, and spoken to people who have been others that seem to be the same, so you seem to be well wide of the mark by saying 'most'.

I'm in Tralee at the minute. Been in 3 different places, all are being strict with their standards. This focus on the minority that aren't is outright dishonest, but I expect nothing less from the Irish media and the fools that follow them.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

MOH wrote: »
    No, I don't. You're going to have to explain to me how people magically have contact with more people going to pubs that don't serve food, as opposed to pubs that do serve food and restaurants that have wedged people in.
    You do understand food isn't a magic vaccine, right?

Book a table for x people in a pub at a specific time, drink with those people socially distanced from others with table service, in an environment where pubs will be quick to kick people out while they're under scrutiny. Versus turn up at a house party without a definite idea how many people are going to be there, who they are, or what state varying people will be in. Given the noise I could hear until 5am last weekend, I'd guess slightly tipsy at least.

Last time I was in my local was March 13th. They had hand sanitiser inside the door and by the toilets, were encouraging people to use table service, and asking everyone to pay by card where possible. They closed two days later, and are the only pub still closed in a fairly trendy area that's full of jammed restaurants with no social distancing and pubs taking the piss out of the food regs. I suspect there's a fair chance they might not open again, especially now.

Meanwhile the supermarkets were rammed full of people panic buying for a week after that before they finally got around to introducing queuing, hand sanitiser a week or two later, and eventually realising baskets needed to be wiped. I stopped going to my local Dunnes, full of ostenatious "look how conscientious we are" signage and announcements when I noticed how they were cleaning the self service tills between each customer - wiping the basket area and the scanner, but ignoring the touchscreen and the credit card keypad.

Out of pretty much all the businesses in my locality, the one which was actually proactively behaving responsibly 5 months ago has been closed ever since. Out of an unsubstantiated belief that opening it will be a grave threat to public health. While the government ignores known issues like house parties, and has a laughable attitude to quarantining arrivals.

Sorry, I'm a bit thick, I actually don't understand that.

I posted this in another thread I think but I was out at the weekend for a mate's 40th and us having food changed how we drink and behave compared to normal. It was much more civilised. We weren't sober but we had a few pints and food whereas usually when we get together, we'd get hammered and a lot of sense goes out the window.

Maybe a lot of people would adhere to the guidelines but a lot of people wouldn't. Making food mandatory does change how (at least) some people drink and behave and that minimises the risk of the disease spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What does closing restaurants at 11pm actually achieve, COVID-wise? Seems like a cynical move to shoehorn a puritanical "national bedtime" in with legitimate pandemic containment measures to me. I absolutely agree with delaying phase four and with the others measures which have been taken, but this one makes no sense unless it's merely a social engineering move dressed up as a COVID measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Numbers visiting are down about 95%, all these flights arent full, far from it, going on anecdotal evidence. Now i agree with you that we should be stricter on tourists from hot spots but the idea that planeloads of americans are landing every day juts isnt the case

There's about 1100 per week from the US. So probably just the one planeload per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

afro man wrote: »
    Joeguevara.. Jesus I did not know that.. It would be nice to be able to sit in a pub or a hotel bar for the day if I wanted to without having to purchase food possibly 30 0r 40euro to have a pint or two!! Or even a lemonade and be out in 105 mins.. To some people they do like to go away with the kids and do other activities and then mum n dad might like a little drink or two later to chill out.. by the way my kids all over 18 so no reason why we can't spend the day in the hotel bar

Your post which i replied to made specific reference to parents going on holidays in Ireland with their kids before school starts. Don’t be backtracking now. And now you’re saying you want to spend the day in a hotel bar drinking two pints or some lemonade. Come on now, at least try and hide a false argument.

But the strangest point is You want to spend a day in a hotel bar in Ireland. Mmmmmmmmmmkkkkkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

What does closing restaurants at 11pm actually achieve, COVID-wise? Seems like a cynical move to shoehorn a puritanical "national bedtime" in with legitimate pandemic containment measures to me. I absolutely agree with delaying phase four and with the others measures which have been taken, but this one makes no sense unless it's merely a social engineering move dressed up as a COVID measure.
    I expect it's simply to stop several hours of messy drinking with the consequent loss of social distancing. And no-one goes out for food at 11pm, so shouldn't be a problem for pubs which are adhering to the table time limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

You do understand, that if people went to pubs, instead, they would have contact with more people right?

As opposed to going to Tesco, Dunnes etc, loads of people in close contact last weekend in Nutgrove

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement