Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

murpho999 wrote: »
    More time to suppress the virus and bring the R number down which has been rising over the last couple of weeks.
    We’ve said before that this estimate is really quite unreliable when you’ve got very low numbers, and therefore the estimate is varying quite widely

Professor Nolan on the R number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Why don't you give us your opinions on 5G while you're at it. I'm sure you have all the answers.
    :rolleyes:

I gave actual numbers and an argument but you can't counter with anything other than some cheap ill-informed jibe.
    It must be wonderful not to have to think for yourself and just follow what you see on tv.

No wonder people are so easy to control if that's the best you can muster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

hmmm wrote: »
    We are not going to lock down entire countries, spending a fortune and with huge social cost, just so you can get a pint. Neither are we going to allow this virus to run rampant across the country, just because a small group of people believe it is something trivial.

I don't fully agree with your statement but nothing you say is that outlandish
    but you haven't addressed the point of my post.
    The numbers and the actual reality

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

hmmm wrote: »
    Very little of this is enforceable, that's not the type of country we are. It's your personal decision whether to be part of the national effort or not.

Lots of people are taking it seriously. A minority of loud and mostly obnoxious people are not.
    Mask wearing in shops is currently 1/5 at most, so the majority of the country are obnoxious by this reasoning. What are the rest, chosen ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Dingle is packed with tourists ... No social distancing, no face masks .... Fun fair is in town. Time to lock down the place again...... This won't end well otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

robbiezero wrote: »
    My feeling about what they decided yesterday is that they got rattled by that R0 number and NPHET's "alarm". That's fine but it's more than a bit like changing your mind about a picnic on the day because you didn't think to check the weather forecast in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,475 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

robbiezero wrote: »

Wel what does that quote show? An esitmate may not be accurate. It doesn't say if it's going up or not.

Here's two articles with quotes from the same professor saying that we need to be cautious as the number of cases are increasing..

Irish Mirror

RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

is_that_so wrote:
    Mask wearing in shops is currently 1/5 at most, so the majority of the country are obnoxious by this reasoning. What are the rest, chosen ones?

Mask wearing is one thing but there is clearly a sub section of people who don't give a rats arse about this virus and spreading it, you have large house parties going on, and people just ignoring any social distancing guidelines whatsoever.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mask wearing is one thing but there is clearly a sub section of people who don't give a rats arse about this virus and spreading it, you have large house parties going on, and people just ignoring any social distancing guidelines whatsoever.
    Yep, and they're the real problem I suspect. Not sure what can be done there and it's not just an Irish problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

weisses wrote: »
    Dingle is packed with tourists ... No social distancing, no face masks .... Fun fair is in town. Time to lock down the place again...... This won't end well otherwise

It'll be the usual numpties that aren't social distancing, middle class curtain twitching type's.

The monkey's are back in Dingle and the Circus is back in town.

No doubt, it's encouraging to see a fun fair but what's stopping fiacra and oisine from wiping their slobber around Dingle and some local baring the brunt of it or a tourist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

I think the Gov should be honest with publicans at this stage.

They should clearly state if or when pubs may be allowed open.

If they are to be closed for a prolonged period supports should be put in place when this God awful disease is over, the pubs we all love and hate are allowed to open. I don't like the idea of the Irish Pub disappearing forever. I think there is a real danger that as things stand, many pubs will never reopen again.

I also think if they are planning to reopen pubs, they should advocate outdoor solutions such as when the smoking ban came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

nthclare wrote: »
    It'll be the usual numpties that aren't social distancing, middle class curtain twitching type's.

Why is this myth being perpetuated, It's even a contradiction in terms, you're either behind your curtains looking out the window, or you're out mixing with your Pimms.
    some local baring the brunt of it or a tourist
    Are these mythical people not tourists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

alentejo wrote: »
    I think the Gov should be honest with publicans at this stage.

They should clearly state if or when pubs may be allowed open.

If they are to be closed for a prolonged period supports should be put in place when this God awful disease is over, the pubs we all love and hate are allowed to open. I don't like the idea of the Irish Pub disappearing forever. I think there is a real danger that as things stand, many pubs will never reopen again.

I also think if they are planning to reopen pubs, they should advocate outdoor solutions such as when the smoking ban came in.

The government are only concerned with what happens in Dublin and a few other large centres like the greater Dublin satellite towns plus cork & Galway .

Rural Ireland is been slowly but surely closed down over the past ten years, closing garda stations, post offices , directing all jobs to Dublin . The main thing is most Dublin pubs are open as they serve food, nobody in government cares about rural Ireland anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

murpho999 wrote: »
    But then you don't understand it.

The 105 minutes was the time limit imposed to allow people to have a meal in a restaurant and then pubs began to operate as restaurants within that time frame
    The €9 was just a number picked to clarify what would count as a meal.

So when you now go to a pub you're not technically going to a pub but a restaurant and therefore it's a for a meal and not pints.

So "pubs" are not open on the brought forward date of July 20th and now reverts back to the scheduled August date.

Underrated post! Nail on the head here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

alentejo wrote: »
    I think the Gov should be honest with publicans at this stage.They should clearly state if or when pubs may be allowed open..

The Govt. can't be honest with the Publicans because they don't know... the policy is "Hope"..... Lets restrict the masses as much as possible to keep the figures low, and of course all the medics would keep things under Phase 2 for as long as possible...
    MM and FF have again abdicated Govt. policy to the heads of the various medical depts. in the HSE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Hurrache wrote: »
    Why is this myth being perpetuated, It's even a contradiction in terms, you're either behind your curtains looking out the window, or you're out mixing with your Pimms.

Are these mythical people not tourists?

I mean it's the type of people who were curtain twitchers during the lock down, but then they'll be the first to think they're entitled to do what they want.

Do as I say not as I do types.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

I don't understand what the govt expect to change (in a positive direction) that will allow the pubs to reopen on August 10th? We'll be in the same position or likely slightly worse in 3 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

almostover wrote: »
    Would you be willing to admit that we have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol in this country?

Some people do, some people don't. It's all about personal choice and it's not up to health Quangos and NGOs to interfere in our personal choices. They have the right to advise but not enforce things upon us. They have no mandate, they have not been elected by anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Simon Harris and Varadker were on an absolute mission to try and end the drinking culture in Ireland over the last 4 years.

Nonsense

It was officially FG policy to protect pubs

Minimum unit pricing - hit home drinkers hard, doesn't hit pub drinkers at all

Ban discount vouchers, booze burkas - same

This is the ONLY measure to affect pubs, and a global crisis has forced them into it. Up until now, you'd swear pub alcohol was immune from any health effects while off-licences were selling something worse than crack, heroin and meth mixed together....

These are the people who claim we have something called "cheap alcohol" in this country, when it doesn't exist and we have the second most expensive drink in the EU. Germany taxes beer the same as food, ffs...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

LuasSimon wrote: »
    The government are only concerned with what happens in Dublin and a few other large centres like the greater Dublin satellite towns plus cork & Galway .

Rural Ireland is been slowly but surely closed down over the past ten years, closing garda stations, post offices , directing all jobs to Dublin . The main thing is most Dublin pubs are open as they serve food, nobody in government cares about rural Ireland anymore.

You're talking as if people in the cities were unscathed by austerity - they weren't!

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    Padraig Cribben of the VFI on Newstalk this morning calling for the ban of alcohol sales in supermarkets to stop house parties so pubs can eventually open.

Quelle surprise... :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I love a few pints and miss the pub but I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for the VFI. Every time I hear them coming on the radio, its complain complain complain. If they had their way, it'd be OK for a lad to fall out of a pub after 5 pints into the drivers seat and drive home and the pub would have been open all throughout this pandemic. Great people to play the poor mouth but most of them serving food never passed on the VAT reduction when it was made and then complained with it was pushed back up again.

When you are on the same wavelength as Danny Healy-Rae, you are occupying dangerous territory in the common sense world.

The pubs that are open seem to have taken their pub name off their receipts, because they know they are taking the p1ss with the rules.

If house parties are the problem, then add about €3 tax to every can of beer and similar increases by the strength of the drink to every other alcoholic product sold in a supermarket. It'd help the government get a lot of their €350 back if this summer has just descended into a 3-month party.

GazzaL wrote: »
    There was no problem if you didn't wear a mask in shops at the peak of the pandemic.

They're allowing a lot more people at a time into shops now, queues at my local Dunnes and Tesco are mostly non-existent now, used to be three quarters of an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Friends of mine booked a table last weekend. Ate at around 7 and drank until after midnight.

Rural pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The Govt. can't be honest with the Publicans because they don't know... the policy is "Hope"
    The policy is to follow the science. We don't know enough about the virus to say exactly what measures slow it down or speed it up, so the government has to be very careful how much fuel they feed.

We know that indoor settings are more dangerous than outdoors. We know that talking, particularly loud talking (e.g. singing) is more dangerous than quiet. We know that alcohol leads to reduced social distancing. It doesn't take much to figure out that a busy pub (not a restaurant or a pub-restaurant) is relatively high-risk.

paw patrol wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I gave actual numbers and an argument but you can't counter with anything other than some cheap ill-informed jibe.
    It must be wonderful not to have to think for yourself and just follow what you see on tv.

No wonder people are so easy to control if that's the best you can muster.

Just tell the virus you're a freeman on the land. No contract! No consent!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If house parties are the problem, then add about €3 tax to every can of beer and similar increases by the strength of the drink to every other alcoholic product sold in a supermarket. It'd help the government get a lot of their €350 back if this summer has just descended into a 3-month party.
    That's not a bad idea - a big increase on cheap alcohol for a short period of time only. The 10 person restriction is also a good idea - it won't stop people who don't care, but for people who are more responsible it will force them to stop and think. I also think the Guards have a role to play here in breaking up large parties (particularly indoors).

Ultimately there's only so much we can do to force this to stop - it's up to everyone to take personal responsibility also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I think the timing of this is disgraceful. I imagine some pubs spent a lot of money they don’t have right now getting ready for Monday, to have it pulled from under them last minute. The government should never have moved the date forward from August in the first place- moving things forward only works when you’re actually going to do it now. I’m not saying I think pubs should be opening- there’s good arguments on both side, but the communication and flip flopping of this government is pathetic. They pay lip service to all the things they’re going to do to support businesses and fail to acknowledge their own indecisiveness and poor communication is adding to the problems in many sectors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Friends of mine booked a table last weekend. Ate at around 7 and drank until after midnight.

Rural pub.

Give people an inch as they say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭tscul32

They're allowing a lot more people at a time into shops now, queues at my local Dunnes and Tesco are mostly non-existent now, used to be three quarters of an hour.

I also feel that shoppers have become complacent with the lower case levels. Far more kids back running around in the aisles, people leaning in front of you to get stuff. Social distancing inside the shops has died a death. I didn't wear a mask at the height (couldn't actually find any in the shops, then ordered online) but I wear one now. I also think the area you're in affects how many are wearing them, I'm in Dublin and quite a few wearing them in my local supermarkets and shopping centre, but was in Athlone the other day and far fewer in masks, had some aul one comment about keeping away from me because of my mask??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement