Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Also, if you have zero cases and zero deaths for a month, you don't have an R number - just a divide by zero error
    I would argue that you do have an R number. Impossible to calculate directly but possible to model based on other numbers.

For example, a country that hasn't been hit yet by the virus and is carrying on as normal would have a high R number. This means that if the virus did arrive, it would rapidly spread.

In addition, reported cases don't mean there is no virus. There can be quite a lot of spread before any cases show up in the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Humilde

Lads. I am based in Spain since last August. The last place in the world you should be taking notes from is here. The general population is effectively now hypochondriac. People are s....tless. They don't seem to want to think for themselves. They are happy to swallow the nonsense coming from the government and supposed health "experts". The whole thing is now just bizarre. I can tell you that in my region of Cantabria, there are now virtually no Covid patients in hospital (there may be one or two old people in for observation but definitely no one in ICU). There is a collective suspicion of everyone else. Everyone you meet says its not possible to trust the population to socially distance and that is why we should all wear masks everywhere (inside and out) even if there's no one near us. It's very common to see people wearing their mask although alone in their cars. The big question is why is there no common sense being used. I struggle to answer it. I think it may be political. Now that the virus has virtually disappeared, I think the politicians want to be seen to be taking big decisions as they have seen that their popularity has soared during the virus. Basically, the virus has been really good for them so they don't want to let it go. In Ireland, if people get back to normal, it means they will also get back to asking what's going on with the housing crisis, the children's hospital fiasco, the chaotic health service. Speaking of the health service. I also believe it is in the interest of the health service for this to roll on as long as possible. They have been painted as heroes in all of this for doing the job they were signed up to do in the first place. The heat has been taken off the HSE when they were really under the cosh for the continued failure to reform or get the place in order. They are even expecting pay rises to come from it. Why wouldn't they want the fun to continue? Of course, the civil service unions would be happy for the whole thing to roll on as so many of their members are on paid leave, from supposedly sick nurses to teachers. There will be fiscal hell to pay down the road but the politicians and civil servants won't be effected as usual. I also think that the governments have seen now how easy it is to coerce an entire population. I dont think its good for anyone. The media seem to be also in on the act. They only show one side of the story, that of the governments. Anyone who questions or goes against the oficial line is not contacted anymore for comment. Kind of ironic that this is now happening given that the virus originated from a place where free speech is only an aspiration for most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

BPKS wrote: »
    Yes - instead they should have left the pub at 9 o clock and all gone back to the same house to continue drinking.

A few of them went back to one of the houses. Smoked a few joints and more drinks. Sharing a joint. Dopey enough

• Registered Users Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Humilde wrote: »
    Anyone who questions or goes against the oficial line is not contacted anymore for comment. Kind of ironic that this is now happening given that the virus originated from a place where free speech is only an aspiration for most.

There are still a whole heap of people who would be delighted to go against expert medical advice, social advice, to suit their own interests, socially and businesses being the core benefits.

It’s correct that the messaging their content and delivery are from one, verifiable trusted source. The government and health services.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Don't brew too much, it was intended as a short term measure but whatever!
    I'm not sure the market for cheap slop brewed by some chancer is as hot as you'd expect....but you work away and let us know how you get on!

Many more would just switch to "cheaper, illegal drugs" just because the price of alcohol went up by a few quid? Really, really doubt that myself. I think about 18-25 year old me, I certainly wouldn't have moved on to harder stuff just because the price of drink went up (and if I had, I'd be dead by now because the price of drink went up consistently during that period!)

You're talking about tripling or quadrupling the price of drink, though.

So double down and stick in some anecdata... no, you still haven't made an argument, sorry. You also ignored the fact that you are punishing many responsible people because of the irresponsible actions of a few. I've seen plenty of teenagers talking the absolute p*ss about gathering in large groups and not distancing, but they don't need any drink or drugs to do that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

You're talking about tripling or quadrupling the price of drink, though.

So double down and stick in some anecdata... no, you still haven't made an argument, sorry. You also ignored the fact that you are punishing many responsible people because of the irresponsible actions of a few. I've seen plenty of teenagers talking the absolute p*ss about gathering in large groups and not distancing, but they don't need any drink or drugs to do that.

We'll agree to differ, you're saying my argument is lame, well I'd say your arguments is nonsense. But good luck with the brewery project!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You have to look at the types that are pushing for this within the medical Quangos and NGOs. High level Medical professionals are the types that shoot 600-625 in a leaving cert and remain hermits throughout their university education. Then when they got into their jobs they became careerists. Pushing for promotion after promotion. They have robot personalities. Socially inadequate. They see life in an analytical perspective.

Fair play to them, they have succeeded professionally, they must be earning a packet. But I am not taking social advice from them and they have absolutely no business in trying to interfere with our social lives beyond a national emergency, of which it is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Jackman25 wrote: »
    No mention of bars in LLeida.

I was only referring to the post saying "Still struggling to see the link to keeping pubs in Ireland closed."

I gave one showing that they have been found as the source of transmission in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

You have to look at the types that are pushing for this within the medical Quangos and NGOs. High level Medical professionals are the types that shoot 600-625 in a leaving cert and remain hermits throughout their university education. Then when they got into their jobs they became careerists. Pushing for promotion after promotion. They have robot personalities. Socially inadequate. They see life in an analytical perspective.

Fair play to them, they have succeeded professionally, they must be earning a packet. But I am not taking social advice from them and they have absolutely no business in trying to interfere with our social lives beyond a national emergency, of which it is over.

Chippus Maximus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Does this mean he also wouldn't go see a doctor, but the seventh son of a seventh son to have their manky hands rubbed into his balls as a cure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Should pubs that serve food not be closed as well ?

I can’t drink 6 pints in the local pub but I can drink 6 pints in a pub 500 yards down the road after I eat a club sandwich and chips ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

LuasSimon wrote: »

I can’t drink 6 pints in the local pub but I can drink 6 pints in a pub 500 yards down the road after I eat a club sandwich and chips ?

yeah that makes this even more frustrating and flawed

Its just not the same and your almost encouraged too binge drink cause your on a time limit

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We'll agree to differ, you're saying my argument is lame, well I'd say your arguments is nonsense.

Ah yeah, €5 a can in the offy, that's not at all insane. :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

LuasSimon wrote: »

They're not operating as pubs, they're operating as restaurants.

If they're taking the piss out of this rule and allowing people sit there for the night drinking pints over a shared packet of peanuts, they are putting the entire industry at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Some threads on boards are fantastic flames to the moths of stupidity, but this one is the best in a while. I wish those who want a free for all would just go and book themselves one way tickets to Florida at let the rest of us beat this virus and get the economy and society up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

NPHET are a clear illustration of the difference between education and intelligence.

There are 11 people in hospital in the whole country with COVID-19, yet here they are leaving huge numbers of people with non-COVID illnesses go undiagnosed and untreated, destroying people's livelihoods, and inventing solutions to problems that don't exist like forcing people to wear face masks in shops that have been safely open throughout the pandemic.

The most stupid of them talk about "eradicating" the virus in Ireland, which is impossible unless we become the next North Korea.

hmmm wrote: »
    They're not operating as pubs, they're operating as restaurants.

If they're taking the piss out of this rule and allowing people sit there for the night drinking pints over a shared packet of peanuts, they are putting the entire industry at risk.

Happening all over. We all know it. Many of us have experienced it

I'd rather that than the fear mongering that is making some people nearly **** themselves at the sight of another human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I thing the reality of the suppression strategy is kicking in. If you go down this route, you need to keep restrictions in place until a vaccine becomes available; you can't just lift them when numbers become low. Moreover, by preventing healthy people from contracting the virus, you lower natural immunity in the population further necessitating the need for restrictions.

Politically we have to continue with this until either the economy or society can't sustain it any more or a vaccine becomes available.

GazzaL wrote: »
    I'd rather that than the fear mongering that is making some people nearly **** themselves at the sight of another human being.

I saw a man not using hand sanitizer down in supervalu today.
    First appointment with therapist next week

• Advertisement

I thing the reality of the suppression strategy is kicking in. If you go down this route, you need to keep restrictions in place until a vaccine becomes available; you can't just lift them when numbers become low. Moreover, by preventing healthy people from contracting the virus, you lower natural immunity in the population further necessitating the need for restrictions.

Politically we have to continue with this until either the economy or society can't sustain it any more or a vaccine becomes available.

The Us have thrown trillions at the economy to keep the show on the road.
    Europe cant agree to releasing even a Euro to countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The Us have thrown trillions at the economy to keep the show on the road.

Pretty much all that money has gone into companies coffers, many who don't need a single cent, it hasn't filtered down to the public and employees.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Pretty much all that money has gone into companies coffers, many who don't need a single cent, it hasn't filtered down to the public and employees.

260 billion dollars was sent to individuals in the form of cheques valued at 1200 each. This was part of a 2 trillion dollar stimulus.

Trump proposing a second stimulus package worth total of 3 trillion with cheques being sent out to individuals to the amount of 2000 dollars a piece.

Businesses have received hundreds of billions too. If they fold there are no jobs to come back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

OK, but it doesn't make it right does it?

I'd say they'll get caught eventually.

murpho999 wrote: »
    OK, but it doesn't make it right does it?

I'd say they'll get caught eventually.

Of course not.

They wont get caught. Maybe 5% of them will get caught . The other 95% will be making bank

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

GazzaL wrote: »
    NPHET are a clear illustration of the difference between education and intelligence.

There are 11 people in hospital in the whole country with COVID-19, yet here they are leaving huge numbers of people with non-COVID illnesses go undiagnosed and untreated, destroying people's livelihoods, and inventing solutions to problems that don't exist like forcing people to wear face masks in shops that have been safely open throughout the pandemic.

The most stupid of them talk about "eradicating" the virus in Ireland, which is impossible unless we become the next North Korea.

They aren't leaving people untreated, the problems in the health service are caused by those who continue to transmit the virus meaning that any form of treatment is potentially dangerous. But sure who cares about cancer patients so long as you can get your 5 hours drinking in the same place. First things first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Jackman25 wrote: »
    No mention of bars in LLeida.

LLeida is mentioned in one of the pics in the article, no reference to the pubs though just the area.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

They aren't leaving people untreated, the problems in the health service are caused by those who continue to transmit the virus meaning that any form of treatment is potentially dangerous. But sure who cares about cancer patients so long as you can get your 5 hours drinking in the same place. First things first.

Absolutely, and sure NPHET should be formed of a group of online users who are experts in the spread of infectious diseases based on "what they see around them", I mean who needs to have 10+ years studying medicine when you have such geniuses thinking the pubs opening wouldn't be any problem whatsoever, PADDY KNOWS BETTER!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Of course not.

They wont get caught. Maybe 5% of them will get caught . The other 95% will be making bank

I can imagine the scuzzy backwaters. Probably full off 16 year olds aswell. Those dives are everywhere.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, and sure NPHET should be formed of a group of online users who are experts in the spread of infectious diseases based on "what they see around them", I mean who needs to have 10+ years studying medicine when you have such geniuses thinking the pubs opening wouldn't be any problem whatsoever, PADDY KNOWS BETTER!

NPHET are the lads that made the taxpayer pay €100,000,000 per month to keep private hospitals empty. Public hospitals were also deserted. People haven't just been miraculously cured or stopped developing non-COVID illnesses. Our health service are not above being questioned, particularly given that they have brought scandal after scandal down through the years. You'll have to forgive people who don't deify them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement