Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Maybe they are that thick a shower but I’d still reckon you’re making it up to act the hard lad.

lol no, it's a piss take at the best of times, just as I left it.

You were hoofed out of it if you were wearing a mask walking in, very funny, everyone knows each other, it just added to the comedy.
    Rules were discussed a few times general consensus is there a piss take and it's impossible to follow them to the letter of the law.

Hopefully the pub is reported and swiftly closed down again. This is the reason they should not have opened. Idiot owners and idiot customers with no respect for the rules and health advise.

We are going to be absolutely destroyed with this virus in the coming months the way people are behaving. Pubs won’t be open for very long that’s for sure.

Hopefully the pub is reported and swiftly closed down again. This is the reason they should not have opened. Idiot owners and idiot customers with no respect for the rules and health advise.

We are going to be absolutely destroyed with this virus in the coming months the way people are behaving. Pubs won’t be open for very long that’s for sure.

Reported for what, are you not allowed have a laugh and shake someone's hand now?
    Your absolutely destroyed as it is if that's where your head's at.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

bartender was in a muzzle which he was reminded of frequently
    You seem to have no interest in the wider community and resort to such dismissive comments about something most people take a great deal of care about

Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus weekends are going to be mental esp if a big game is on

Pre booking tables is essential, ****ing hate talking on the phone but I'd have to man up to **** and do it

• Advertisement

Killjoys of the world unite, you'd report a family member. The majority of us are responsible drinkers, minority of clowns should not clamp it down for the rest. Otherwise, talk to "yeh, yeh" Joe and he'll put you at ease with non-committal jive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Beasty wrote: »
    You seem to have no interest in the wider community and resort to such dismissive comments about something most people take a great deal of care about

Do not post in this thread again

I thought mods were supposed to be unbiased here?
    There’s very little evidence public masks wearing is of any use whatsoever in public circumstances. The ridicule is widespread and completely justified.

Killjoys of the world unite, you'd report a family member. The majority of us are responsible drinkers, minority of clowns should not clamp it down for the rest. Otherwise, talk to "yeh, yeh" Joe and he'll put you at ease with non-committal jive.

Majority isn’t enough. Pubs should be ensuring that all customers are acting responsibly.
    They’ll be crying if they’re closed again yet ones acting the big fella and not having people behave will have nobody to blame except themselves, though naturally they’ll blame everyone else again.

Ah get a bloody life will ya for gods sake. Your man was having a laugh and clearly embellishing the story for a laugh.
    Dry, boring, killjoys like this ought to be locked away in a cupboard somewhere with a mask sown ear to ear

road_high wrote: »
    There’s very little evidence public masks wearing is of any use whatsoever in public circumstances. The ridicule is widespread and completely justified.

You’re just making things up now, yet passing off your own ideas as fact. Anyone not wearing one at this stage should get a slap in the mouth.

• Advertisement

Even more evident that there was no point too the food rule

Maybe things would be the same number wise if they opened everywhere up the end of June like a few other Euro countries did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

we had a dedicated door man that shook everyone's hand

Fúcks sake

This country is in serious trouble with Covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

There's actually very strong evidence wearing masks indoors when not with close contacts makes a massive difference. One local dipsh1t came back from holidays, worked a full shift in a tiny takeaway, tested positive the next day, infected no one. Why? He had a mask on.

Plus it's asking the sum total of absolutely fook all to ask you to slip one on while you walk to the jacks. If you loved your local as much as you pack of princesses claim you'd accept that if it means you're not jeopardising them staying open.

Act like a bunch of prepubescent teenagers on here.

You’re just making things up now, yet passing off your own ideas as fact. Anyone not wearing one at this stage should get a slap in the mouth.

Really- so you condone violence over a just piece of cotton? Chilling how far some in society have sunken in the 7 months from previous norms

2ndcoming wrote: »
    There's actually very strong evidence wearing masks indoors when not with close contacts makes a massive difference. One local dipsh1t came back from holidays, worked a full shift in a tiny takeaway, tested positive the next day, infected no one. Why? He had a mask on.

Plus it's asking the sum total of absolutely fook all to ask you to slip one on while you walk to the jacks. If you loved your local as much as you pack of princesses claim you'd accept that if it means you're not jeopardising them staying open.

Act like a bunch of prepubescent teenagers on here.

Or it could be just pot luck he didn’t pass on the killer virus. But yea it was the mask that saved all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Or it could be just pot luck he didn’t pass on the killer virus. But yea it was the mask that saved all

It's not pot luck though. Shock horror - internationally accepted medical advice is correct. Stick a mask on there and spit at yourself in a mirror and see where it ends up.

Absolute goons.

There's a reason why Rathkeale and various sh1tholes around the north of England are constantly battling spikes of cases. It isn't because the locals are smarter than the doctors, if that's what you were thinking.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Fúcks sake

This country is in serious trouble with Covid

Come on now. I don't think he is being serious. And if he is what good does getting mad do? What purpose does it serve to be incensed by the behaviour of others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Come on now. I don't think he is being serious

Based on that poster's past form, he was indeed serious

Really- so you condone violence over a just piece of cotton? Chilling how far some in society have sunken in the 7 months from previous norms

The total disregard for others has really opened my eyes in the past months and so many have shown themselves as excuse touting scumbags. A lot of people that you wouldn't have expected it of either. A chilling descent indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

This story was mentioned on Pat Kenny this morning, hadn't read about it before

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-25/this-starbucks-in-south-korea-became-a-beacon-for-mask-wearing

I'm sure this was all down to pot luck too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd suggest some people lay off Facebook for their information for a while but sure that would go unheeded how else would ya get your fix for unadulterated nonsense facts.

listermint wrote: »
    I'd suggest some people lay off Facebook for their information for a while but sure that would go unheeded how else would ya get your fix for unadulterated nonsense facts.

FB is reliable no doubt. The army will be on the streets and the gardai are renting a ****load of cars

You might even get the chance of getting a free state of the art TV by simply sharing a post

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Just back from my local. Fantastic and everyone happy. A great experience.

Scoondal wrote: »
    Just back from my local. Fantastic and everyone happy. A great experience.

Far cry from in here. Nothing but mass murders and myself sitting in the naughty corner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Back myself from 2 local pubs both fairly busy although it's day 1 will possibly die down.

Few lads saying they want to make the most of it when they're open, who knows when they will shut places again out of the blue

Feel for the Dubs but there was plenty of "expat Dubs" drinking pints today anyway lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Far cry from in here. Nothing but mass murders and myself sitting in the naughty corner.

Could be worse. You could be surrounded by used needles:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

What are you on about. Pubs are open for the first time in 6 months, great.
    Nonsense like this just plays into the hands of people who'd quite happily see them shut down for another 6 months.

The sooner the minority of clowns get shut down, the less chance there is of pubs getting blamed. (OK, they probably will anyway, but wishful thinking).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It's really about personal responsibility.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It's not pot luck though. Shock horror - internationally accepted medical advice is correct. Stick a mask on there and spit at yourself in a mirror and see where it ends up.

Absolute goons.

There's a reason why Rathkeale and various sh1tholes around the north of England are constantly battling spikes of cases. It isn't because the locals are smarter than the doctors, if that's what you were thinking.

Lack of social distancing- hardly the same as mask wearing or not.
    Looking for the peer reviewed data and studies to prove mask vs non mask wearing controls Covid in all manner of public situations. Instead of this wing and a prayer guilt tripping stuff. Funny enough I’m still waiting

• Advertisement

Lack of social distancing- hardly the same as mask wearing or not.
    Looking for the peer reviewed data and studies to prove mask vs non mask wearing controls Covid in all manner of public situations. Instead of this wing and a prayer guilt tripping stuff. Funny enough I’m still waiting

Ask yourself this, even without all the evidence that shows masks really do make a big difference, how can they not help?? They are preventing the virus from being spread around a room as the droplets are trapped in the mask while also affording other some protection from inhaling them?? Think about it.

Why do you think masks are worn in medical settings long before covid? Just for fun?

The anti-mask stuff is just the very same as anti-vax. Stupid nonsensical arguments against them going against all experts and all advice, the stuff your phone flags as fake news on Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Don't think outside of holidays or when I was a student was I in a pub on a Monday..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Drunkmonkey, one week forum ban for ignoring threadban

lawred2 wrote: »
    Don't think outside of holidays or when I was a student was I in a pub on a Monday..

I would have regularly been in a pub on a Monday. A few of us from work would often go after work on a Monday to kill off the Monday depression, watch the Monday night foootball, any excuse really.

However I will not be going near a pub for the foreseeable future as it is simply not safe.

lawred2 wrote: »

Is this a good or a bad thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is this a good or a bad thing?

Couldn't tell you

Just not something that ever came to mind as somewhere to be on a Monday

• Advertisement

Ask yourself this, even without all the evidence that shows masks really do make a big difference, how can they not help?? They are preventing the virus from being spread around a room as the droplets are trapped in the mask while also affording other some protection from inhaling them?? Think about it.

Why do you think masks are worn in medical settings long before covid? Just for fun?

The anti-mask stuff is just the very same as anti-vax. Stupid nonsensical arguments against them going against all experts and all advice, the stuff your phone flags as fake news on Facebook.

All that is lovely fussy warm glowing inside stuff but what I asked for is peer reviewed data to support mask wearing (Note; outside of the obvious medical situations). All I get back once more amounts to speculation and what amounts to “sure why wouldn’t ya wear one”?
    It’s amazing how they’ve become the latest life saving tool/placebo in the past 2 months but through April May there wasn’t a hint of them being made compulsory and virtually no one was wearing them or gave a toss about them - yet cases fell away

I would have regularly been in a pub on a Monday. A few of us from work would often go after work on a Monday to kill off the Monday depression, watch the Monday night foootball, any excuse really.

However I will not be going near a pub for the foreseeable future as it is simply not safe.

I’d say you’ll be missed

Something to get you through the night of the few pints

dare i say it was it a tame night in regards videos and pictures circulating on social media of all out mayhem happening in pubs ?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    dare i say it was it a tame night in regards videos and pictures circulating on social media of all out mayhem happening in pubs ?

Wait until next weekend and it will most likely be a very different story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Slag a mask, get a yellow. Encourage violence, nothing said. Just about sums boards up these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Just back from fishing in wexford, drove through gorey and there was kids everywhere at 12:30

Chippers busy, large groups of youngun's out and about - not doing much harm as far as I could see and out on the street so not really a pub issue although I was not in any so I couldnt tell either way.

Lots of drunken banter - no rows or anything just messing and craic - I was kind of happy to see it but ffs its monday, was very surprised to see the town as busy - also 1 hr after closing so not sure what it was like earlier. Id imagine the weekend being a bit mental!

Similar story here. Pints were first rate as was the service. Everyone within the pub carefully adhered to the guidelines, a good time was had by all. The alarmists left shy of any ammunition, how unfortunate. What a pity that common sense could prevail.

That's exactly what we want to see. Nobody wants to see pubs closed but it's hard to argue for them being open when you've ones acting like idiots and ignoring guidelines. They've cried for months so I can't see why they all couldn't adhere in an effort to remain open.

Slag a mask, get a yellow. Encourage violence, nothing said. Just about sums boards up these days.

Anyone arguing against masks is just plain wrong.

Yes indeed the bias is mind blowing.

Why? Where’s the peer reviewEd data to support it in our public situations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Masks are the new religion.

We were told originally they don't work. In fact they told us that they could be worse. Sweden are saying don't wear the masks. The Dutch are saying we don't have a clue, so we're not recommending them.

Here, if you even raise the question of the mask you are sectioned off to being a 5G conspiracy theorist. Jennifer Maguire (who is an appalling person BTW) nearly got cancelled for even proposing a debate.

This is ****ing nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

Why? Where’s the peer reviewEd data to support it in our public situations?

Here:

files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf

here:

thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

and here:

royalsociety.org/-/media/policy/projects/set-c/set-c-facemasks.pdf?la=en-GB&hash=A22A87CB28F7D6AD9BD93BBCBFC2BB24

Can't post links but a simple google search on those items above will give you those three studies, one by The Lancet, another by Oxford University and another by the University of California San Francisco.

But I doubt you'll even bother looking the articles let alone read a paragraph on any of those links and launch on an ad hominem argument automatically...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

that's very unscientific of you to be so close minded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

paw patrol wrote: »
    that's very unscientific of you to be so close minded.

Wow!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement