Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concrete Path Repair

• 15-07-2020 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,
    I've tried using grab adhesives on a path with 3 broken pieces, with tek7 and Gorilla glue but eventually they become lose. What's the best way to tackle this ?, (see pic). I am willing to mixup some ready mixed concrete now if its the best way but I've read that I will still need "concrete adhesive" around the edges of the old concrete so that the new concrete bonds to the old concrete ? else the new mix will also become lose in one large lump.

Is this correct ?

If so can someone recommend adhesive and concrete available in Dublin ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

irishgal21 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've tried using grab adhesives on a path with 3 broken pieces, with tek7 and Gorilla glue but eventually they become lose. What's the best way to tackle this ?, (see pic). I am willing to mixup some ready mixed concrete now if its the best way but I've read that I will still need "concrete adhesive" around the edges of the old concrete so that the new concrete bonds to the old concrete ? else the new mix will also become lose in one large lump.

Is this correct ?

If so can someone recommend adhesive and concrete available in Dublin ?

Hi,
    Since I'm the 41st person to view the picture I felt obliged to post the first response; rather than leave you hanging,

That is indeed concrete,
    I'd go to my local woodies and purchase a 5kg bag of ready to mix concrete,
    Also a strip of 1" pine wood and some nails,

Remove all of the broken concrete out of the footpath
    Then nail down your wood to create a sort of reservoir for pouring in your cement,

Use some of the pine wood then to skim across the top; leveling out the concrete with the existing height of the rest of the footpath,
    Leave it for two days to fully set dry then remove the strip of wood.
    Job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

Might not be required but probably no harm to put PVA on the exposed concrete that you are trying to bond the new concrete too. Itll help the new concrete stick to the old.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 irishgal21

Thanks for the replies, yes I was more concerned about making sure new concrete bonds to old.

I'll go with ready mix concrete and pva.

Thx.

Ray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

irishgal21 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, yes I was more concerned about making sure new concrete bonds to old.

I'll go with ready mix concrete and pva.

Thx.

Ray.

mix the PVA with water and make sure the surface is wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Mix a bit of the PVA in the concrete also, better still if you can get a bit of SBR. I would just grab a bag of Kilsaran Post10 which has a strength of 35 Neuton and add the adhesive as above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Use somethinhg specific to the purpose and that's going to hold over time.

A concrete epoxy repair is probably your best bet.

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/sikadur-33-cement-adhesive-and-repair-mortar-250ml-grey-11060.html

Use somethinhg specific to the purpose and that's going to hold over time.

A concrete epoxy repair is probably your best bet.

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/sikadur-33-cement-adhesive-and-repair-mortar-250ml-grey-11060.html

Have you used this?
    I personally havent seen any of these that lived up to their expectations, they are a quick fix and not for long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

macadam wrote: »
    Have you used this?
    I personally havent seen any of these that lived up to their expectations, they are a quick fix and not for long term.

No, I haven’t used this product but have a very similar issue. Have previously tried the cement fix which failed and after doing some research, looking at a couple of YouTube videos and reviews of similar products, I had decided to give it a go. Haven’t gotten around to trying it myself yet though.

Have you tried this product?

No, I haven’t used this product but have a very similar issue. Have previously tried the cement fix which failed and after doing some research, looking at a couple of YouTube videos and reviews of similar products, I had decided to give it a go. Haven’t gotten around to trying it myself yet though.

Have you tried this product?

No i wouldnt dream of using it, you cant beat mixing your own along with the SBR
    I can guarantee itll go nowhere, especially if you paint the sides and base with the SBR.

I have used gripfill etc and a few adhesives most are gimmicks.

Drill into the existing concrete and insert small pins into it and place new concrete over these pins which will act as a tie to the new and old.

• Advertisement
Advertisement