Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed killer for brick paving, driving me nuts now!

Options
  • 15-07-2020 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondered if anyone knows of a product that could be mixed with patio sand to keep the effin weeds down.

It is a constant battle and am so sorry I did not get imprinted concrete or tarmac now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

I feel your pain!! Not sure if this would be of any use but might be worth looking in to. I'm planning to use it on our patio. https://www.geo-fix.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Just wondered if anyone knows of a product that could be mixed with patio sand to keep the effin weeds down.

It is a constant battle and am so sorry I did not get imprinted concrete or tarmac now.

It's a pain in the hole, what worked for me was washing powder sprinkled lightly, and left on the ground for 3 or 4 days, try it if you have no other ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

My father learned a method for keeping the weeds out of bricks 100% of the time when he was in the army. I use it all the time on my patio out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Raspen

I am considering using these products smartseal.ie/

I have a block paving driveway and the weeds and moss are driving me nuts.

It was fine for a few years until I started power hosing it.

Looks like it will seal the sand and stop the weeds for a few years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wash the sand out and fill it with Rompox or one of the variants available these days.
    You won't have half the problems with weeds as you do with sand.
    You might see some very small weeds start but they are easily removed by fingers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

My father learned a method for keeping the weeds out of bricks 100% of the time when he was in the army. I use it all the time on my patio out the back.

and................?????????????????? please tell

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

fryup wrote: »
    and................?????????????????? please tell

Watering with a very short hose ;)

Pathclear used to be effective, but the formulation changed, was all but useless the last time I tried it. Just use glyphosate every year now combined with hand weeding.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks for all your suggestions. Will take them onboard. Like the look of the GeoFix!

Meanwhile back at the ranch I got one of those wire brushes on a long handle that scoops out the weeds. Backbreaking work but effective.

Need something longer lasting though. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

A mix of a bit of light strimming and a weed burner seem to be doing the job for me. I find the weed burner doesn't work as well, as you'd imagine, during wet weather and the strimming seems to be doing the job at keeping weeds small then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

The likes of Rompox and Geo-seal (basically the same thing) are pretty pointless on cobbleblock as the gaps between the blocks are too small.
    I no longer re-apply sand after power hosing as it just becomes a growing medium for the weeds. A little and often application of both moss killer and glyphosate as weeds and moss appear is the best course of action.
    I'm not a fan of biological solutions such as washing powder as they can end up in the water course killing wildlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

The likes of Rompox and Geo-seal (basically the same thing) are pretty pointless on cobbleblock as the gaps between the blocks are too small.
    Would this stuff be better on tighter gaps?

https://jointit.com/products/joint-it-fine/?cli_action=1595017391.187

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

gobo99 wrote: »

Looks good, is on the list. Thanks for the suggestion.

Honestly if had the spare cash I would just take the effin bricks up and get imprinted concrete now. Might do it next year. Getting too rickety to be weeding every two weeks. It is such a pain in the backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

gobo99 wrote: »

Had a read and it still strikes me as glorified sand, relying on Ph to restrict weed growth is nonsense. Sounds good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

I use roundup on the weeds in our brick paving about here times a year and it works ok. Not very green, but I haven’t found anything else that works? What do other people do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Last time I was clearing a driveway of weeds for someone the landscaper I was working for gave me a tool similar to this and I found it was fairly effective. Might be worth using a weed burner first and just using the tool in the link for getting rid of the persistent ones that the flame weed remover fails to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Was he in the rangers so it's classified information? If you tell us will he have to kill us all? :-)

Advertisement