Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C-section staples v stiches

Options
  • 15-07-2020 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, I went private on my first and had an emergency c-section. I got stitches and was very happy as had very little pain and neat scar. I'm pregnant again and can't afford private this time. I was told going public in Limerick Maternity that they give everyone public staples. I really don't want staples. Anyone know if this is true and can you request stiches?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

ms218 wrote: »
    Hi, I went private on my first and had an emergency c-section. I got stitches and was very happy as had very little pain and neat scar. I'm pregnant again and can't afford private this time. I was told going public in Limerick Maternity that they give everyone public staples. I really don't want staples. Anyone know if this is true and can you request stiches?

I think it’s up to the surgeon to be honest. For what it’s worth I went private on both my babies, had an emergency section and then an elective. Both with the same surgeon - first time she used staples, second time stitches and there was no discernible difference for me. Recovery from both was quick and pretty pain-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ms218

Thanks, good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

The thought of them using staples never entered my mind and it sounds horrific...maybe just the visual..although I don't much like to think about the cutting and sewing in general either. Glad to see poster above saying there's no noticeable difference.

OP it's your body, chat to them about it. They may explain the policy, safety etc so even if its something you have no control over it may assure you to feel better informed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

ms218 wrote: »

I don't think that's true. I went public with my first in Limerick and ended up having a section. I had stitches (two years ago now). I'm also pregnant again and going public again in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You are allowed to decide on your medical care. If you don't want something, tell your doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Cokezero

How did ye find the public system in limerick?

Cokezero wrote: »
    How did ye find the public system in limerick?

I found it great last time. I'm 37 weeks on my second pregnancy and still find them good. Saying that I've never experienced private. Have you any specific questions?

I don't think the extras you get going private is worth it. I paid 3500. I had more scans but you can also just pay for a scan with a consultant. I had a scan at 9 weeks, 50 euro. I'll get an anomoly scan also, 200 euro. 250 euro a lot cheaper than 3500 euro! I don't know about the labour part. I'll find out I guess. I had private room and it was nice but it's kinda lonley also and again not worth the money you pay. I think private and public are both the same regarding safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Hi, now my youngest is 21 now but both my girls were C sections and both in public health care. I had staples the first time and a bead the second. It was quite some time ago but I would recommend a bead if it's still an option. Such a quick method and didn't add anything to my scar from the staples.

ms218 wrote:
    I don't think the extras you get going private is worth it. I paid 3500. I had more scans but you can also just pay for a scan with a consultant. I had a scan at 9 weeks, 50 euro. I'll get an anomoly scan also, 200 euro. 250 euro a lot cheaper than 3500 euro! I don't know about the labour part. I'll find out I guess. I had private room and it was nice but it's kinda lonley also and again not worth the money you pay. I think private and public are both the same regarding safety.

Sorry to continue off topic here, but are there no scans for a public patient without paying? 250 a lot cheaper than 3500 alright but maybe the 250 isn't even necessary? Public in the Coombe there is no charge for anything at all, it's great.

I'd hate to be in a room on my own having just given birth. Doesn't feel safe first of all but I would definitely be lonely. I spent 8 nights on various 6 bed wards in the Coombe and even though I had many noisy and inconsiderate roommates in that time, I also met lovely ladies all in the same boat and it was nice to have little chats here and there at meal times etc.

• Advertisement

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Sorry to continue off topic here, but are there no scans for a public patient without paying? 250 a lot cheaper than 3500 alright but maybe the 250 isn't even necessary? Public in the Coombe there is no charge for anything at all, it's great.

I'd hate to be in a room on my own having just given birth. Doesn't feel safe first of all but I would definitely be lonely. I spent 8 nights on various 6 bed wards in the Coombe and even though I had many noisy and inconsiderate roommates in that time, I also met lovely ladies all in the same boat and it was nice to have little chats here and there at meal times etc.

Public in Limerick u get a dating scan around 12ish weeks and another scan around 32ish weeks. I'm public in Dr. Skehans clinic, never met him but other docs have all been lovely. I also had a mini scan on one of my regular visits (doc that saw me just said he'd do one while I was there, no reason for concern and I didn't look for it). If, like on my last pregnancy there was a concern or anything you'd get extra scans anyway. I was in two bed room last time, had one night with room to myself. No charges for anything under public scheme. But you can pay to attend private scans if you want.

The 9 week and 20 week anomoly scan is extra. You get 12 week and growth scan at around 30 weeks with no charge.

Mad the difference in public care between different hospitals really isn't it. Anomaly scan and dating scan should be standard everywhere in my opinion. I can understand people paying for the anomaly scan privately for sure, 30+w for a growth scan is too long to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Cokezero

Thanks. It is interesting about the stitches vs the staples. Something I haven't researched!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Insane that there's no anatomy scan in a large public hospital in Ireland. That's how you will know there's an issue. This should be a scandal in this day and age. Surely women deserve to know if there's a problem so they can explore all their options.

Just to update this. I got staples and I was right to hate them. Two burst and I then had Pico dressing for 5 weeks and normal dressings for 2 weeks after. My daughter was 2 months old before I was healed. Disaster!

Advertisement