Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a noob

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Wailin wrote: »
    Did ticknock today lads for the first time. Just stuck to the traditional red route but loved it. Skyline (metro?) and Blazin saddles (especially towards the end) were class.

Anyway, I'm getting faster and technique is improving, especially on the fast sweeping bends. Still not comfortable enough for the doubles though, i keep bottling it. But I also think the larger bike frame puts me off too. Any tips on the doubles? Just go for it I guess and build up speed?

Edit: I'm also finding with the rock gardens, if going fast, the bouncing around has my feet lifting off the peddles a lot so I end up losing some control. I'm reluctant to go clipless just yet but would that improve this?

I wouldn't advise starting out learning jumps on doubles, if you case them the crashes can be pretty bad. Tabletops have much less consequences if you case them, theres a decent sized one on skyline in ticknock thats good for practicing.
    I think they are adding a couple to after burner aswell which is closed at the minute but should be done in a couple weeks.
    The gap has some good trails with jumps like witches cauldren that would be good to start with.

Try dropping your heels on the pedals, you've got to try use your legs as a rear suspension and not be too tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Did ticknock today lads for the first time. Just stuck to the traditional red route but loved it. Skyline (metro?) and Blazin saddles (especially towards the end) were class.

Anyway, I'm getting faster and technique is improving, especially on the fast sweeping bends. Still not comfortable enough for the doubles though, i keep bottling it. But I also think the larger bike frame puts me off too. Any tips on the doubles? Just go for it I guess and build up speed?

As said above id be cautious about trying to send doubles if your not that confident as failing to clear the jump can lead to crashing and hurting yourself.
    Can you manual? Or even better bunny hop? If you can manual you should start hitting small jumps with easy landings and work your way up. Im not telling you not to hit big jumps straight away but taking baby steps is the best way of gaining confidence and not crashing.

Great thing about all the doubles on the coillte trails is that you can pump them if your not confident, so even if youre not sending them your still improving as a rider.
    Edit: I'm also finding with the rock gardens, if going fast, the bouncing around has my feet lifting off the peddles a lot so I end up losing some control. I'm reluctant to go clipless just yet but would that improve this?

First thing are you using decent pinned flat pedals and mtb shoes? If not that will give your feet a lot more grip, any grippy shoes will do btw i remember i started out with some cheap thick soled shoesfrom sports direct.

Theres no need for clipless pedals btw, and they just damage your confidence i dont even run clipless on my mountain bikes

Ive noticed that slipping off the pedals seems to correlate with chain slap so you might look at a clutch derailleur and narrow wide chainring. But this would only have a minor impact and the mainthing is good pedals and shoes.

Other minor thing would be technique so picking the right line and having an open, flexible body position to absorb the bumps.

Gmbn tutorials are worth watching for jumping and rock garden technique

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

As the lads have said; learning to gap doubles is maybe not the best, kindest, or most forgiving introduction to learning how to jump. It's all about progression (as much as I twitch every time I hear that word used without explanation when it comes to mountain biking), or "start small" in less buzz-wordy lingo. A long table-top is a good place to start because it'll be forgiving and predicable as far as landings go; you hopefully get a little air and you'll land to a flat surface. When you feel like you have a reasonable base on your technique, find a smaller (i.e. shorter) table-top and look to clear the table, landing on the exit ramp, and then rinse repeat until you are confidently making jumps that should see you clearing doubles.

If you have a riding buddy, you can get phone apps which can do frame by frame video breakdowns (coaches eye is one such app; free vs. paid versions but the free one should do well enough) which in this day and age can really help show you what you are doing when you try to jump.

Edit: as a note of warning; not all table tops are created equal in the ramp stakes. Ideally you want to start practising on one with a lip that will give you a bit of a kick/boost. You don't have to, it'll just make your initial progress a bit easier and quicker so you don't perhaps get frustrated with a less shaped table-top ramp where you'll have to work harder. No idea if that makes sense to anyone else but it's something I encountered when learning to jump and there's a small table-top that I still struggle with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Thanks lads, great helpful advice as always. I'm using shimano shoes, flat and grippy on flat pedals..

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Thanks lads, great helpful advice as always. I'm using shimano shoes, flat and grippy on flat pedals..

What condition are the flat pedals in? Do theyve pins? Are the pins worn/ missing?

You cant go wrong with the nukeproof neutron evo pedals for about 35€ for the grip you get, or if you want a slighlty better build of pedals go for the raceface Chesters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

This is down to technique. On flats you need to drop your heels approaching rock gardens etc so your feet are essentially pushing the pedals if you know what I mean. If your toes are pointing down then your feet are more likely to come off the pedals as your wheels strike obstacles. Ryan Leech has a great online course for learning flat pedal technique. To be honest unless you are intending to become a racer there is no pressure to switch to clipless. More and more people are sticking to flats. I went from clipless for 4 years back to flats and enjoy my riding much more as a result but that's a personal thing.

Thanks. Yeah I've decided I'm not going clipless. I was more conscious of my foot position last time I was out and found the rock gardens much better. Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm not a young pup btw, I'm 46 but fairly fit. So I'm not looking to become a speed freak, just for outdoor enjoyment and getting the heart rate going!

I posted this elsewhere but I might have a better chance of a response here:

So I've decided I'm going to upgrade and have settled on the vitus escarpe 2020. On wiggle the vrx is around €4000 while the vrs is €3100. Is there any real benefit for someone like myself going for the more expensive option just for upgraded groupset or will the advantages be wasted?

Also, I'll more than likely opt for the 27 for the quicker acceleration uphill and manoeuvrability. Is this a safer bet guys or what's the thoughts on 27.5 v 29's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

So I've decided I'm going to upgrade and have settled on the vitus escarpe 2020. On wiggle the vrx is around €4000 while the vrs is €3100. Is there any real benefit for someone like myself going for the more expensive option just for upgraded groupset or will the advantages be wasted?

Also, I'll more than likely opt for the 27 for the quicker acceleration uphill and manoeuvrability. Is this a safer bet guys or what's the thoughts on 27.5 v 29's?

I've no idea what the right answer is really but fair play man! You seem to have really caught the bug!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

I've got a 2019 escarpe, its an absolute beast on the downhills. Very happy with my purchase 1.3 years later. The VRX doesn't offer too big of an upgrade IMO. I'd go with the VRS it looks to be better bang for the buck especially at a 900e price difference.

Just so you know the 2021 bikes I think come out in Sept or October for nukeproof and Vitus so you may get some very good discounts if you want a month.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wailin wrote:
    Hi lads, out of these two which would you choose? Better savings on the Kona but don't know much about them.

Two great brands there, wouldn't go far wrong with either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Kona make fantastic bike's. For me vitus is all about value for money with a great spec but Kona have geometry dialled with great quality frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If they were the only choices I'd be going for the vitus imo a better spec and I much prefer shimano over sram.

Both very good bikes though.

I've always fancied a clash and the same price point and these are usually super slack bikes.

https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/clash-essential-c2x31379289

Trek also have some really nice bikes.

Cheers lads. So the vitus has better spec and the kona slightly better geometry? I think the vitus has the edge for me so. It was the 20% savings on the kona that peaked my interest.

Wailin wrote:
    Cheers lads. So the vitus has better spec and the kona slightly better geometry? I think the vitus has the edge for me so. It was the 20% savings on the kona that peaked my interest.

If you get a chance, check out each brand in person, preferably on trails, rentals, you may not be able to get access to the exact models, but it might give you a better idea, checked out a vitus in ballinastoe couple of years ago, was extremely impressed, you won't go far wrong with either.

There's nothing wrong with sram either, but I am a Shimano man myself

Lads do you know if the CRC sale prices get better as it gets closer to the 2021 bike releases? Couple of bikes I have my eye on and wondering will they drop the price another bit.

Wailin wrote:
    Lads do you know if the CRC sale prices get better as it gets closer to the 2021 bike releases? Couple of bikes I have my eye on and wondering will they drop the price another bit.

Unsure about prices, but stocks of 20 bikes will twindle over the coming months, so you might struggle to get the bike you want and the size you need

I've been keeping an eye on stock alright. Once it gets low I'll decide whether to take the plunge or not if discounts remain the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

I've been keeping an eye on stock alright. Once it gets low I'll decide whether to take the plunge or not if discounts remain the same.

If its in stock and within budget go for it, never seen anything like a site to go downhill as quick as crc. Leaving covid aside their stock levels have been shocking since Christmas.

• Advertisement

It's a fair chunk of cash for a bike (vitus escarpe/sommet) so I'm holding out for a better deal if they decide to increase the discount. They have a few in stock and I'm keeping my eye on the numbers. Also keeping an eye on the second hand stuff but very few options out there for the last few months.

I'd love a nukeproof reactor but nothing available at all.

Any other online bike shops lads that worth looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Any other online bike shops lads that worth looking at?

Keep an eye on bikebargains.co.uk. It compiles the best deals from several of the online retailers. Also Paulscycles.co.uk

Delivered this morning, looking forward to giving it a blast!

50394878338_bc0019612f_c.jpg

Advertisement