Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Samsung TV @ Saorview

• 16-07-2020 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭

I have a 10 year old Samsung TV. It's not Saorview approved. Would this box in Powercity work with it to provide Saorview channels?

https://powercity.ie/product/WPS818C

This is the TV Samsung DNIe 32" LCD TV. Model number is: LE32R72B

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

billyhead wrote: »
    I have a 10 year old Samsung TV. It's not Saorview approved. Would this box in Powercity work with it to provide Saorview channels?

https://powercity.ie/product/WPS818C

This is the TV Samsung DNIe 32" LCD TV. Model number is: LE32R72B

Does that TV not have a digital tuner rather than the old analogue type?
    If yes, then you should not need an external box.

The box you linked to is a combi - both satellite and terrestrial reception.
    Is it your intention to receive satellite as well as terrestrial channels?
    If not then a simple 'Saorview' box would suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear it's the TV below. My Dad will be using it. He only needs all the Irish channels. So will one of those Saorview aerials you can connect to the back of the TV suffice. The TV isn't Saorview approved as far as I know. They have another TV in the other room hooked up to a virgin media box and they get all the English and Irish channels. They pay a monthly subscription to Virgin for this of around 60 euro.

https://www.cnet.com › products › s...
    Samsung LE32R74BD 32" LCD TV - HD Specs - CNET - CNET.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

That TV is from 2007. I'd say Saorview won't work on it, when you go to Settings/Broadcasting try a Digital retune with an Aerial. You might just get sound with no picture

That TV is from 2007. I'd say Saorview won't work on it, when you go to Settings/Broadcasting try a Digital retune with an Aerial. You might just get sound with no picture

Thanks for your advice. Would there be anything available I could connect to it to get both sound and picture?

Thanks for your advice. Would there be anything available I could connect to it to get both sound and picture?

If Saorview can't be seen using an aerial connected to that TV, then the Saorview box you mentioned above for €90 would be your cheapest option

Another option is to buy a new TV seen as that TV is 13 years old and you'd get a new 32" TV for €160 from Power City, DID, Currys & Harvey Norman etc. It can be handier only having just the one remote rather than 2 (TV & Box)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

€90 just for a digital tuner seems steep.
    DID sell a Strong box for €50. Ebay has boxes for €40. I'm sure there are others...

Thanks for the response. Would you have a link to the Did one. The only one I could find that I think would work is this one https://www.did.ie/4life-combo-hd-set-top-box-black-sv-402-sv-402-prd. Is it hard to use these boxes as it's for my elderly Dad who's not tech efficient.

Found it on the Did site.Strong DVB-T2 HD Receiver - Black | SRT8541. It mightn't be much use though if it's that cheap.

Found it on the Did site.Strong DVB-T2 HD Receiver - Black | SRT8541. It mightn't be much use though if it's that cheap.

The one you linked above has Saorview and ALSO Satellite tuners which of course drive up the cost.

As you said you have no need of Satellite channels then a Saorview only box is all that is required.

Presumably you are aware that there are no English channels on Saorview.

The one you linked above has Saorview and ALSO Satellite tuners which of course drive up the cost.

As you said you have no need of Satellite channels then a Saorview only box is all that is required.

Presumably you are aware that there are no English channels on Saorview.

Yes. Thanks JohnBoy. My Dad only needs all the Rte and the Virgin Media 1 @ TG4 channels. Do I should be able to get them with the cheaper box? Thank you your advice with this.

• Advertisement

Yes. Thanks JohnBoy. My Dad only needs all the Rte and the Virgin Media 1 @ TG4 channels. Do I should be able to get them with the cheaper box? Thank you your advice with this.

Here you can see what is available with aerial only and Saorview tuner

https://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_channels_on_Saorview_(Ireland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Ten Pin wrote: »

Thanks. It says some Samsung models aren't supported with this box. It's good value though

Does the TV have to be Saorview approved? This is the TV I gave my Dad and not the one in the original post. I confirmed it earlier. Sorry for the ertor. https://pricespy.co.uk/audio-video/tvs/samsung-le40r51b--p31236/properties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

Does the TV have to be Saorview approved? This is the TV I gave my Dad and not the one in the original post. I confirmed it earlier. Sorry for the ertor. https://pricespy.co.uk/audio-video/tvs/samsung-le40r51b--p31236/properties

The key piece of info there is:
    TV tuner, digital: No

So whatever you buy does not necessarily have to be Saorview approved, but it must have a digital tuner.

Does the TV have to be Saorview approved? This is the TV I gave my Dad and not the one in the original post. I confirmed it earlier. Sorry for the ertor.

Fairly sure that TV doesn't have a digital tuner...it seems it's a 2007 model so probably just too early for DVB T compatibility. Digital models from Samsung had a 'D' in the model number apparently. Check the tuning menu for digital/DVB T.
    It says some Samsung models aren't supported with this box.

Think that refers to use of the box remote to control the TV. The box will work once the TV has scart input.

Fairly sure that TV doesn't have a digital tuner...it seems it's a 2007 model so probably just too early for DVB T compatibility. Digital models from Samsung had a 'D' in the model number apparently. Check the tuning menu for digital/DVB T.

Think that refers to use of the box remote to control the TV. The box will work once the TV has scart input.

Thanks for all the advice folks. It's greatly appreciated. The TV I gave him is a Samsung's Digital Natural Image engine (DNIe) tv. I presume that means it's compatible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

Thanks. It says some Samsung models aren't supported with this box.

That just means the remote control won"t control the TV. But the TV has its own remote anyway so it does not matter.

Thanks Winston. The spec for the TV says dvb is not compatible on it so I presume that rules out the box for sale on eBay? Would the other boxes in sale in DID be a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

The TV has both HDMI & SCART inputs, so will work with any box that has the matching output(s).

• Advertisement

The TV has both HDMI & SCART inputs, so will work with any box that has the matching output(s).

Thanks but does the TV have to be dvb enabled?

... does the TV have to be dvb enabled?

No, that's what the box is for.

I think your best bet is go with the Saorview box in your opening post for €90 and pick up a cheap HDMI cable too in Power City and connect the new box to your Samsung TV with the HDMI cable. Any TV with a HDMI input is all that is needed for that box

The €40 box is out of stock which was mentioned earlier in the thread

You will need an aerial to receive Saorview. Check the Saorview website https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage and put in your local town/village. That will tell you what type (indoor/outdoor aerial) you will need depending how far away you live from your nearest transmitter

I think your best bet is go with the Saorview box in your opening post for €90 and pick up a cheap HDMI cable too in Power City and connect the new box to your Samsung TV with the HDMI cable. Any TV with a HDMI input is all that is needed for that box

The €40 box is out of stock which was mentioned earlier in the thread

You will need an aerial to receive Saorview. Check the Saorview website https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage and put in your local town/village. That will tell you what type (indoor/outdoor aerial) you will need depending how far away you live from your nearest transmitter

He lives in Dublin 5 so Saorview should be available in the area. So he needs an aerial aswell and I presume because the TV is not a Saorview approved one the box will provide the Saorview channels?

Yes. Saorview is received via an aerial, just like the Sky signal comes from a Sky dish

My Dad lives in D5 too and has a aerial in the attic and fed into the sitting room. An indoor aerial might work, but RTÉ One and 2 might break up as they are in HD. The nearest transmitter is Three Rock mountain so your aerial needs to be pointing towards South (200 degrees approx)

... An indoor aerial might work, but RTÉ One and 2 might break up as they are in HD.

That has no bearing on signal robustness.

They have another TV in the other room hooked up to a virgin media box and they get all the English and Irish channels. They pay a monthly subscription to Virgin for this of around 60 euro.

Is that including broadband?

What kind if TV are they using with the VM box? If it has Saorview then how about using the Samsung with the VM box and move that TV into the other room and connect an aerial.

That has no bearing on signal robustness.

If the signal is in any way weak, they are always the channels that break up more than the SD channels

Is that including broadband?

What kind if TV are they using with the VM box? If it has Saorview then how about using the Samsung with the VM box and move that TV into the other room and connect an aerial.

The TV in the other room is a 50 inch Smart tv (only a year old). It's connected to a VM supplied box. They get all the English and Irish channels on it. The Samsung is in the other room and gathering dust at present. My Dad wants to use it when he my Mum is watching her soaps etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement