Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

seligehgit wrote: »
    Well said.As I said initially the optics were'nt great but it's hardly a hanging offence.

Eamon Ryan has always struck me as an inherently decent man and I say that as somebody for whom large parts of the Green party agenda are the anathema to me.

This episode will be a negligible factor in the leadership contest which I think he will still win.

I don't think anyone is saying he isn't a decent person but he's shown himself to be kinda clueless about things over the years.

Remember when he told us all to buy diesels and now we are being hammered for doing just that.

Or saying rural people should leave the car at home and just take the (non existent) bus.

Yes he put himself up for election and I'm sure he does long hours but he is a Minister on a huge salary and expenses so its not a good look nodding off on the job when those of us on a minimum wage would get our arse handed to us if we did the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So 160 out of 5 million and you say it’s not elite

:-)

Its not elite. We have had many fine T.D.s across all parties and none who came from ordinary backgrounds. They worked hard at local level, community politics, trade unions etc and impressed people enough to get elected.
    If they don't measure up we dump them at the next election

Because, at least in theory, you'd attract better intentioned people. It'd weed out the chancers and gombeens doing it for the handsome pay/pension and other perks.
    Ya Sinn Fein do the average industrial wage and it works out fine ( with the exception of Dessie Ellis and the one in Cork East who reckoned it wasnt enough to keep her in make up)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Edgware wrote: »
    Ya Sinn Fein do the average industrial wage and it works out fine ( with the exception of Dessie Ellis and the one in Cork East who reckoned it wasnt enough to keep her in make up)

That craic is all a rouse though, the rest of the money goes to the party, they claim expenses off the party and their posters printed etc.. it works out that they just donate heavily to their party but still live on effectively 60-70k a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

That craic is all a rouse though, the rest of the money goes to the party, they claim expenses off the party and their posters printed etc.. it works out that they just donate heavily to their party but still live on effectively 60-70k a year

There’s a maximum donation any TD can make to their party, €2500. That’s very far from “the rest of the money goes to the party” and completely untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It is amusing to see a rabid SF supporter talk about a ‘magic money tree’, given that it is the foundation for many of SFs policies.

It's sad that folk will excuse the leader of a party in new coalition government falling asleep in his brand new shiny job having to be woke to cast a vote and then try invent a shinner conspiracy out of it to try dismiss it.
    Wasn't MLMD whispering lullabies in his ear :)

Not the worst we can expect from this coalition by a long shot. Not angered. Not a shinner. Disappointed and a little embarrassed for him and his party especially the ones support low income workers.
    Cork Green Party Councillor Lorna Bogue tweetz:

Last night my party voted against maternity payments and against a living wage and collective bargaining for precarious workers.

I’ve no information on why workers rights weren’t defended by the Green Party. Maternity payments were ‘unconstitutional’ if anyone can shed light on that

Workers rights are integral to just transition – we will not reach our climate goals without them.

I also can’t shake the intergenerational nature of the harm we have done today.

We say we are a party for future generations but we abandoned young families and young workers today.

I’ve spent six years defending the Green party – telling people on the doors they wouldn’t repeat the intergenerational harm they inflicted last time.

This party has made a liar out of me. A new generation of the young will pay for the failure of the Green Party with their futures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Edgware wrote: »

They don’t. They claimed to do it but there was well known exceptions and most importantly it was optional and they never officially confirmed who did or did not partake. It was a charade.

The ‘policy’ has since been abolished. SF TDs can voluntarily pay a small contribution to the party (the max political donation from a private individual). Plenty of non SF TDs do the same.

Just shows how gullible people are that some still believe the SF ‘average industrial wage’ guff.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    No need
    Reducing the wages just means you get the bottom of barrels

The voting system is supposed to weed out the chancers

Reada ‘anti-Semite’ Cronin and Violet-Anne ‘scrounger’ Wynne are certainly scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Reada ‘anti-Semite’ Cronin and Violet-Anne ‘scrounger’ Wynne are certainly scraping the bottom of the barrel.

So that's your view on Eamon Ryan falling asleep, point at the shinners? Seems legit.

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    So that's your view on Eamon Ryan falling asleep, point at the shinners? Seems legit.

Just like your constant ranting about low paid workers. Seems equally legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,600 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just shows how gullible people are that some still believe the SF ‘average industrial wage’ guff.

If Mary Lou said in the morning she’d give everybody a Mansion. She’d be believed.

If Mary Lou said in the morning she’d give everybody a Mansion. She’d be believed.

TBF FG were handing out leased luxury apartments and hotels.
    State built and owned mansions rented out might be cheaper ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Has some relevance to the topic at hand in fairness.

On topic. Not hiding behind rants.
    Sleepy Eamo = SF wages or something

On topic. Not hiding behind rants.

Of course not. You would never do that, Matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I don't think anyone is saying he isn't a decent person but he's shown himself to be kinda clueless about things over the years.

Remember when he told us all to buy diesels and now we are being hammered for doing just that.

Or saying rural people should leave the car at home and just take the (non existent) bus.

Yes he put himself up for election and I'm sure he does long hours but he is a Minister on a huge salary and expenses so its not a good look nodding off on the job when those of us on a minimum wage would get our arse handed to us if we did the same thing.

Have you read the thread? He's been called scum and a dozy bollox amongst other things. And if you think Eamonn Ryan was single handedly behind the diesel campaign you're plain wrong - the switch from petrol to diesel was being pushed throughout Europe as being more environmentally friendly - it was the perceived wisdom of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Disgrace! Any new job should counteract any level of comfort.

They don’t. They claimed to do it but there was well known exceptions and most importantly it was optional and they never officially confirmed who did or did not partake. It was a charade.

The ‘policy’ has since been abolished. SF TDs can voluntarily pay a small contribution to the party (the max political donation from a private individual). Plenty of non SF TDs do the same.
    but but but change change, workers, families, border poll, up the ra

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Have you read the thread? He's been called scum and a dozy bollox amongst other things. And if you think Eamonn Ryan was single handedly behind the diesel campaign you're plain wrong - the switch from petrol to diesel was being pushed throughout Europe as being more environmentally friendly - it was the perceived wisdom of the day.

Never said he was single handedly behind it but he certainly pushed for it at the time.

You seem a bit angry at my post which I think was a fair analysis of the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭riddles

It’s amazing the chap even got elected - never mind leading a party.

riddles wrote: »
    It’s amazing the chap even got elected - never mind leading a party.

He is just the kind of TD his constituents in Dublin Bay South want, upper middle class backround, private educated and liberal just like themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Never said he was single handedly behind it but he certainly pushed for it at the time.

You seem a bit angry at my post which I think was a fair analysis of the man.

My memory of him is his less than heartfelt defence of Willie O Dea, you knew he didn't mean it but they needed a few more months to get the pension, lost all credibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Bannasidhe wrote: »

What the hell out be the point of the Soc Dems doing a complete U Turn on everything they campaigned for to agree to a FF/FG led PfG? Might as well just vote for FF/FG if that is what you wanted.

That just shows how little you know about the Programme for Government!
    The draft that they were given by FF/FG offered the two biddies almost every "change" that they had been advocating PLUS the opportunity to negotiate for more to be added.

The ONLY thing that they objected to was the fact that most of their agenda was being implemented by the parties that they distrusted, so, as I wrote above they took the cowards' option and ran to the safety of the opposition backbenches where they could moralise, preach, pontificate and virtue signal for the benefit of the gullible for the next 5 years while sharing the leader's allowance between the pair of them and achieving the square root of sweet **ck all for the country and their constituents.

By the time that the next election rolls around, both biddies will be in their seventies, so there's more chance of Danny Healy Rae winning the Eurovision Song Contest than there is of them ever being in government. Stephen Donnelly realised what a pair of chancers the two leaderettes were long before I did - and I doff my cap to him for having the balls to walk away from the Soc Dems.

Much as I dislike their IRA links, I'd far prefer to vote for Sinn Fein who at least want to be in government than for the two scam artistes and their phony party.

The draft that they were given by FF/FG offered the two biddies almost every "change" that they had been advocating PLUS the opportunity to negotiate for more to be added.

The ONLY thing that they objected to was the fact that most of their agenda was being implemented by the parties that they distrusted, so, as I wrote above they took the cowards' option and ran to the safety of the opposition backbenches where they could moralise, preach, pontificate and virtue signal for the benefit of the gullible for the next 5 years while sharing the leader's allowance between the pair of them and achieving the square root of sweet **ck all for the country and their constituents.

By the time that the next election rolls around, both biddies will be in their seventies, so there's more chance of Danny Healy Rae winning the Eurovision Song Contest than there is of them ever being in government. Stephen Donnelly realised what a pair of chancers the two leaderettes were long before I did - and I doff my cap to him for having the balls to walk away from the Soc Dems.

Much as I dislike their IRA links, I'd far prefer to vote for Sinn Fein who at least want to be in government than for the two scam artistes and their phony party.

It's nice you think there's a real PFG and anything FF/FG say in it is solid.Glad to support the SD's, prouder still when they stated FF/FG was a no go.
    Pretty sure Eamo was more interested in another pension and a last hurrah than ethics or credibility. Sure he was asleep the other day. Had to wake him for a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

what the f*ck is this sh*t?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,770 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

While Eamon Ryan sleeping during his job is bad, still not as bad as that horrible cretin Danny Healy Rae picking his nose and eating it during Dail session.

WTF :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It's nice you think there's a real PFG and anything FF/FG say in it is solid.Glad to support the SD's, prouder still when they stated FF/FG was a no go.
    Pretty sure Eamo was more interested in another pension and a last hurrah than ethics or credibility. Sure he was asleep the other day. Had to wake him for a vote.

Did he fall asleep? Never heard anything about it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

.... the two biddies....both biddies... ... the two leaderettes ...having the balls to walk away from the Soc Dems.

... two scam artistes and their phony party.

If you seriously expect me to respond to that steaming pile of childish petulance you are very much mistaken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement