Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So you dont think most votes is equal to winning an election....should we remove micheal d from the aras??

What is your criteria to win an election,if most votes is to be discounted?

Sinn Fein didn't get most votes, they got the highest vote, but it was a long long way short of most votes.

Most votes is 50% plus one. Now that you have brought Presidential elections into it, I will demonstrate again how ridiculous and silly your position is. In 1990, Brian Lenihan got "most" votes, but Mary Robinson was elected President. Are you saying that Mary didn't deserve it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Irish_presidential_election

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Non entity is gone next Monday anyway, by election shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

blanch152 wrote: »
    We know, you think that Eamon Ryan falling asleep in the Dail for five minutes is far far worse than Mary-Lou travelling to fake funerals during lockdown or Paddy Houlihan and his racist misogynist podcasts.

You are not being asked to look anything up, the examples given are cases that you have commented on many many times. Explain to us clearly how Gerry Adams lying about his brother's child abuse is not as bad as Eamon Ryan falling asleep.

The ability of some posters to spout bile about such low-level stuff is incredible. I know you are hurt and upset by the Greens going into government with Fine Gael, but a little perspective is needed. As Eilis O'Hanlon put it in the Sunday Independent - "the level of hostility directed towards Eamon Ryan online points to something much more disturbing......", couldn't have said it better myself.

How about his wife?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-31008682.html

"I bridled last Saturday when I heard Cormac Ó hEadhra expressing the hope that politicians would not be going off on long holidays this summer on RTÉ.

Everyone needs to take a break. These people are husbands, wives, fathers, mothers.

When did it become reasonable for a Minister to work a 16-hour day, six or seven days a week? Do you think that helps their decision-making? Does it help attract women to politics? Is it fair on their families?

I don’t like being a Minister’s wife, but I do like the possibilities this Programme for Government opens up.

I have spent a long time campaigning on environmental issues but it would take a lot of protests, a lot of letters to TDs and a lot of opinion columns to add up to the impact a Minister can have in a good morning’s work."

Some of you need to take a long hard look at yourselves.

Blanch, you are wasting your time, dude. Never going to change anyone’s mind around here. There’s people around here, and on other social media sites, who expect politicians to be flawless and almost mythical type creatures who never make mistakes. They don’t really understand politics to be honest. Only complaining.

I’d suggest you leave them to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Bowie wrote: »
    14/15 hour days wouldn't be unusual for a Commis Chef. And they'd be paid buttons. Fall asleep and you'd be out or scalded.
    But again, Eamo is in no hurry to tackle low wage worker problems.

There's a lot of jobs where it wouldn't be unheard of to put in a 16 hour shift, but that lad Blanch is one of these Walter Mitty lads with his claim of 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, 3 weeks in a row at international conferences.

It doesn't work like that at international conferences or at any other conferences ffs.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

So you have worked 16 hours a day for 21 days in row at international conferences?

Lol.

Yes, back when I was much younger than I am now. It still continues for others, did you not see how the European Council worked through the night? Were the civil servants on shift work??????

The ignorance of the workings of government is astounding in a forum supposed to be about current affairs.

• Advertisement

There's a lot of jobs where it wouldn't be unheard of to put in a 16 hour shift, but that lad Blanch is one of these Walter Mitty lads with his claim of 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, 3 weeks in a row at international conferences.

It doesn't work like that at international conferences or at any other conferences ffs.

You obviously never have worked at the UN General Assembly. Such hours are not unusual there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_General_Assembly

Blanch, you are wasting your time, dude. Never going to change anyone’s mind around here. There’s people around here, and on other social media sites, who expect politicians to be flawless and almost mythical type creatures who never make mistakes. They don’t really understand politics to be honest. Only complaining.

I’d suggest you leave them to it.

It is like they have no real-life experience.

Yes, back when I was much younger than I am now. It still continues for others, did you not see how the European Council worked through the night? Were the civil servants on shift work??????

The ignorance of the workings of government is astounding in a forum supposed to be about current affairs.

European Councils do not work through the night or 16 hours a day, all week, three weeks in a row.

No council does and no international conference does.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I think you mean

The ignorance of the working is astounding in this forum

You obviously never have worked at the UN General Assembly. Such hours are not unusual there.

You're dead right, I've never worked at the UN General Assembly.

But, I do have experience of working at international conferences.

• Advertisement

It is like they have no real-life experience.

You'd be very surprised what real life experiences some posters on here have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

We know, you think that Eamon Ryan falling asleep in the Dail for five minutes is far far worse than Mary-Lou travelling to fake funerals during lockdown or Paddy Houlihan and his racist misogynist podcasts.

You are not being asked to look anything up, the examples given are cases that you have commented on many many times. Explain to us clearly how Gerry Adams lying about his brother's child abuse is not as bad as Eamon Ryan falling asleep.

The ability of some posters to spout bile about such low-level stuff is incredible. I know you are hurt and upset by the Greens going into government with Fine Gael, but a little perspective is needed. As Eilis O'Hanlon put it in the Sunday Independent - "the level of hostility directed towards Eamon Ryan online points to something much more disturbing......", couldn't have said it better myself.

This is bizarre. You are making stuff up and then criticise based on your made up stuff.

He fell asleep. It was poor form. It's not the end of the world. All your rants won't mean he stayed awake now will they?
    The fake funeral one is unreal. Houlihan is an idiot. Either way neither mean Eamo didn't fall asleep. That's not how reality works.
    Does FG councillor O'Leary admiring fascists cancel out houlihan? Don't think so.

A chara, a chap claimed and you claimed I'd different standards for different politicians. I asked for proof, a quote, and you both came back with lists of shinner stuff and said I thought Eamo falling asleep was worse. That's pretty surreal. The bit I put in bold there is amazing. I'd say you couldn't make it up, but you did.

We can see who's spouting bile. Find one quote were I'm over reacting to sleepy Eamo being sleepy. I've more issue with how he voted. I hope he gets knocked off as leader but that's because I have a lot of time for the Greens and they deserve better leadership IMO.

Unlikely Elish made up what she was writing about. It is all the rage, (pun intended) to claim gombeens found out are getting a hard time of it from randos on the net in an attempt to give them a pass and even if true, sleepy Eamo, still fell asleep.

Bowie wrote: »
    This is bizarre. We know you make stuff up about people and then criticise them on your made up stuff.

He fell asleep. It was poor form. It's not the end of the world. All your rants won't mean he stayed awake now will they?
    The fake funeral one is demented. Houlihan is an idiot. Either way neither mean Eamo didn't fall asleep. That's not how reality works.
    Does FG councillor O'Leary admiring fascists cancel out houlihan? Don't think so.

A chara, a chap claimed and you claimed I'd different standards for different politicians. I asked for proof, a quote, and you both came back with lists of shinner stuff and said I thought Eamo falling asleep was worse. That's pretty surreal. The bit I put in bold there is amazing. I'd say you couldn't make it up, but you did.

We can see who's spouting bile. Find one quote were I'm over reacting to sleepy Eamo being sleepy. I've more issue with how he voted. I hope he gets knocked off as leader but that's because I have a lot of time for the Greens and they deserve better leadership IMO.

Unlikely Elish made up what she was writing about. It is all the rage, (pun intended) to claim gombeens found out are getting a hard time of it from randos on the net in an attempt to give them a pass and even if true, sleepy Eamo, still fell asleep.

It only took you how many days to come up with this new deflection :p:p:p:p

You're dead right, I've never worked at the UN General Assembly.

But, I do have experience of working at international conferences.

Going to a wake with the Healy Rae clan is not an "international conference"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Seems to be a number of people in this thread who don't understand how many working professionals are salaried and work to deadlines which actually mean something.

Working every possible hour aside from required sleep is something that absolutely happens in many organisations and companies; especially as deadlines approach or if there is a particular goal that has to be reached. In addition people who are self employed have to work whatever hours they need to in order to make a living.

Just because *you* refuse to work a second more than 39 hours a week and clock out as soon as it hits home time doesn't mean everyone in the world does.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Going to a wake with the Healy Rae clan is not an "international conference"

I never went with them but I've met them at a few.

It's commonly known as a way of paying your respects to the family of the deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

ronivek wrote: »
    Any links to support that claim? Not that it would be terribly surprising I suppose since anyone in Government seems to get held to much higher standards than anyone in opposition.

There was a pic on FB a few weeks ago, thought it was common knowledge but it seems not.

28th of June I see it was to be exact.

Seems to be a number of people in this thread who don't understand how many working professionals are salaried and work to deadlines which actually mean something.

Working every possible hour aside from required sleep is something that absolutely happens in many organisations and companies; especially as deadlines approach or if there is a particular goal that has to be reached. In addition people who are self employed have to work whatever hours they need to in order to make a living.

Just because *you* refuse to work a second more than 39 hours a week and clock out as soon as it hits home time doesn't mean everyone in the world does.

It also seems there are some posters in this thread who seem to think whatever tripe they type will be believed.

It also seems there are some posters in this thread who seem to think whatever tripe they type will be believed.

You shouldn’t be so hard on yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Healy Raes mother did, didn't she, why does everything in the Dail come back to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    When did I say different?

Lady?

Just to clear that up. It was a typo. I was not assuming Eamon's gender or anything like that. He can identify as whatever he likes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Working every possible hour aside from required sleep is something that absolutely happens in many organisations and companies;especially as deadlines approach or if there is a particular goal that has to be reached. In addition people who are self employed have to work whatever hours they need to in order to make a living.

Its not about that. blanch made the claim that Eamon Ryan is doing 110 hour weeks and this is a reason why he fell asleep. He was asked to provide evidence for that claim but he could not, only to say he himself once worked a 110 hour week in Brussels, a city which is the European capital of five course lunches with matching wine all expended to taxpayers. I've a cousin who is a lobbyist in Brussels and they do not do 110 hour weeks on any kind of frequent basis. Civil servants rarely do them in Brussels either but they love to include their drinking time in the evenings as "work" :rolleyes: For some the 'working late into the night' schtick gives them cover for their wives so they can go off and grab a hooker, lots of media have reported how the numbers of prostitutes swells in Brussels when there is an EU summit on. Thousands of civil servants show up for the week and thousands of hookers flock into the city just for it and then leave when its over.

blanch would have you believe that civil servants are negotiating the Good Friday Agreement every day they go into work. This simply isnt the case, negotiations that run into late into the night are more rare than they are common.

In any case even if blanchs unproven comment that Ryan is working 110 weeks were to be true that would just show him to be a control freak who doesnt know how to delegate. He has no less than five special advisors working for him as well as an army of civil servants. If he cant manage his time with that amount of resources at his disposal then he will be a failure as a Minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its not about that. blanch made the claim that Eamon Ryan is doing 110 hour weeks and this is a reason why he fell asleep. He was asked to provide evidence for that claim but he could not, only to say he himself once worked a 110 hour week in Brussels, a city which is the European capital of five course lunches with matching wine all expended to taxpayers. I've a cousin who is a lobbyist in Brussels and they do not do 110 hour weeks on any kind of frequent basis. Civil servants rarely do them in Brussels either but they love to include their drinking time in the evenings as "work" :rolleyes: For some the 'working late into the night' schtick gives them cover for their wives so they can go off and grab a hooker, lots of media have reported how the numbers of prostitutes swells in Brussels when there is an EU summit on. Thousands of civil servants show up for the week and thousands of hookers flock into the city just for it and then leave when its over.

blanch would have you believe that civil servants are negotiating the Good Friday Agreement every day they go into work. This simply isnt the case, negotiations that run into late into the night are more rare than they are common.

In any case even if blanchs unproven comment that Ryan is working 110 weeks were to be true that would just show him to be a control freak who doesnt know how to delegate. He has no less than five special advisors working for him as well as an army of civil servants. If he cant manage his time with that amount of resources at his disposal then he will be a failure as a Minister.

I heard some stories about Brussels myself.
    I recall people on these boards making light of the weight some folk put on saying it looked like 'Brussels agreed with them'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I have done those kind of jobs.
    I stated this and got a snarky response.

I think it was bad form of Minister Ryan - or any other TD - to fall asleep in the Dail chamber (or where ever the Dail is convening). It is disrespectful to the electorate.

And as for this whole he works long hours so leave him alone the poor pookie - try telling that to junior doctors who have to make life and death decisions on little sleep, and nurses falling asleep at the wheel while driving home from 12 hour shifts.
    If the work load is too much for Minister Ryan he has the option of retiring to the back benches and still pulling in close to €100k a year.

Do I think he should resign for falling asleep? No.
    Do I think the decision of the Greens to go into govt will cost them at the next election? Yes.

Two separate issues.

Produced evidence about Ryan pages ago, but in your eagerness to direct personal slurs, you seem to have missed it.

As I have said already, such hours are normal for Ministers.

As for my own experience, naming the particular situation could reveal my identity so I won’t do that. Rubbish comments about civil servants in Brussels as well, but I can’t speak for what your cousin gets up to.

How about his wife?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-31008682.html

"I bridled last Saturday when I heard Cormac Ó hEadhra expressing the hope that politicians would not be going off on long holidays this summer on RTÉ.

Everyone needs to take a break. These people are husbands, wives, fathers, mothers.

When did it become reasonable for a Minister to work a 16-hour day, six or seven days a week? Do you think that helps their decision-making? Does it help attract women to politics? Is it fair on their families?

I don’t like being a Minister’s wife, but I do like the possibilities this Programme for Government opens up.

I have spent a long time campaigning on environmental issues but it would take a lot of protests, a lot of letters to TDs and a lot of opinion columns to add up to the impact a Minister can have in a good morning’s work."

Some of you need to take a long hard look at yourselves.

Produced evidence about Ryan pages ago, but in your eagerness to direct personal slurs, you seem to have missed it.

As I have said already, such hours are normal for Ministers.

As for my own experience, naming the particular situation could reveal my identity so I won’t do that. Rubbish comments about civil servants in as well, but I can’t speak for what your cousin gets up to.

Nowhere did it say he deos 110 hour weeks??

Nowhere deos it outline he deos 16 hours 7 days a week

If he is unable for workload,as you seem to believe ,might be time to step aside??

Why not release his ministerial calender under freedom of info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I have no experience working with career politicians or members of government so I can't really comment on specifics; but I absolutely believe his claim that at certain times they do work those kinds of hours. Do I believe they do it every week of the year? No; and I'm not sure he made that claim either.

I should also point out that I don't particularly care why he fell asleep; my feeling on the matter is that he's a person like anyone else and people can on occasion fall asleep when they don't intend to.
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I think it was bad form of Minister Ryan - or any other TD - to fall asleep in the Dail chamber (or where ever the Dail is convening). It is disrespectful to the electorate.

I don't see how it's disrespectful unless he did it on purpose. It's kind of like saying stifling a yawn is disrespectful if you're talking to someone; you don't make a choice to yawn in their face.

Now whether or not he did it on purpose only he will know the answer to that; but I would suggest even the most inept politician would know that doing so during a live broadcast of a Dail sitting probably wouldn't be the smartest thing to do.

I appreciate some people will take it as disrespect for either the Dail, or the issue at hand, or the public in general. I don't agree with that point of view; and find that most commenters on the issue are simply using it as evidence that their already held opinions on the man are somehow more valid as a result.
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    And as for this whole he works long hours so leave him alone the poor pookie - try telling that to junior doctors who have to make life and death decisions on little sleep, and nurses falling asleep at the wheel while driving home from 12 hour shifts.
    If the work load is too much for Minister Ryan he has the option of retiring to the back benches and still pulling in close to €100k a year.

I wouldn't assume a doctor who fell asleep in a chair was disrespecting anyone; he just fell asleep in a chair. Same goes for a nurse or indeed anyone else. Would you assume that; if you came across a doctor sleeping? Or would you assume they were entitled to fall asleep due to their hard work and likely long hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I don't see how it's disrespectful unless he did it on purpose. It's kind of like saying stifling a yawn is disrespectful if you're talking to someone; you don't make a choice to yawn in their face.

Now whether or not he did it on purpose only he will know the answer to that; but I would suggest even the most inept politician would know that doing so during a live broadcast of a Dail sitting probably wouldn't be the smartest thing to do.

I appreciate some people will take it as disrespect for either the Dail, or the issue at hand, or the public in general. I don't agree with that point of view; and find that most commenters on the issue are simply using it as evidence that their already held opinions on the man are somehow more valid as a result.

I wouldn't assume a doctor who fell asleep in a chair was disrespecting anyone; he just fell asleep in a chair. Same goes for a nurse or indeed anyone else. Would you assume that; if you came across a doctor sleeping? Or would you assume they were entitled to fall asleep due to their hard work and likely long hours?

There is a fairly simple way of dealing with when you feel you may fall asleep. Move around. I'm sure if Minister Ryan needed to use the loo he would have gotten up and left - he could have gotten up and left for a few minutes just to wake himself up.

You missed my point - there are those who are playing the poor Minister Ryan was working long hours so it's natural he fell asleep - govt creates the conditions where frontline/emergency HCWs have no choice but to work insane hours while dealing with life or death situations and there is no sympathy for them from 'tired' Ministers. They haven't even given the nurses their promised pay rise yet so frankly I have zero sympathy for 'tired' TDs.
    It's amazing to me that we don't have TDs asleep right left and centre such is apparently their work load.

Lookit - he could have gotten up, strolled around for a few minutes, went back to his seat. He didn't.
    It's not a hanging offence.
    Just another in a growing list of Oh Eamo :rolleyes: moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

In fairness, who would you rather, him or Martin? I think Ryan has plenty more gaffes left to entertain us with. It’s better than some jumped up primary school teacher who will kiss ass and tread on eggshells for the sake of being in the position.

Advertisement