Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donore Avenue (Cork Street) - safe?

Options
  • 16-07-2020 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Any advice?

Comments

Donore Avenue itself is fine.

Cork Street can be reasonably unsettling if you want to walk around at night, moreso if you're a woman, or just someone who is bothered by people when theyre intoxicated and want to engage in chat, or buy/sell drugs.

For about a year, i used to walk home this route, towards Donore Ave. late at night, towards Portobello. Not once did i encounter trouble. Just the occasional drunken messers or people high on something else. Very mild.

Nothing unique to that area either. It's the same as you'd expect on Thomas Street, James's Street etc.

But again, Donore Ave itself is lovely. Nice, quiet street.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭GerryFog

Cork Street is generally quite rough but Donore Avenue is fine, there is a large muslim community who keep the place secure and the trouble out. Good sense of community around there, people look out for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If you're looking at buying, just beware there's a huge development about to happen on Donore Ave onto SCR. Around Teresa's Gardens can be a tad rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭james no.1

If you're looking at buying, just beware there's a huge development about to happen on Donore Ave onto SCR. Around Teresa's Gardens can be a tad rough.

Cheers, do you think the development will add to the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Massive plans. I have questions about the infrastructure though.

https://www.thejournal.ie/player-wills-site-redevelopment-4963554-Jan2020/

• Advertisement

james no.1 wrote: »
    Cheers, do you think the development will add to the area?

Initially no, as it will cause havoc for years. I live just opposite the Donore Ave entrance to the site which I believe will be used as the main construction entrance as opposed to the SCR entrance. The area is already being used as a park & ride for the city centre and local construction sites, the bus routes on Cork St, SCR & through Donore Ave were already at full capacity before Covid kicked in so definitely something major which probably won't be addressed.

Are you looking to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭james no.1

Initially no, as it will cause havoc for years. I live just opposite the Donore Ave entrance to the site which I believe will be used as the main construction entrance as opposed to the SCR entrance. The area is already being used as a park & ride for the city centre and local construction sites, the bus routes on Cork St, SCR & through Donore Ave were already at full capacity before Covid kicked in so definitely something major which probably won't be addressed.

Are you looking to buy?

No, just to rent. Yeah that's annoying there'll probably be a lot of dust and disruption with the building. Whatever about the buses though, it's close enough to walk into town.

james no.1 wrote: »
    No, just to rent. Yeah that's annoying there'll probably be a lot of dust and disruption with the building. Whatever about the buses though, it's close enough to walk into town.

Ye I personally walk to work/town 90% of the time but if for example it's lashing rain I might jump on a bus - you'll be lucky to get on one between 8-9am on a bad day pre-Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ye I personally walk to work/town 90% of the time but if for example it's lashing rain I might jump on a bus - you'll be lucky to get on one between 8-9am on a bad day pre-Covid.

The 150 is grand, and loads of buses on Crumlin Road/Cork Street. Pointless getting a bus that goes along the SCR though. That's my issue with these new developments. Build all you want but you'll still have single lane roads all around them, not counting Cork Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Donore Avenue itself is fine.

Cork Street can be reasonably unsettling if you want to walk around at night, moreso if you're a woman, or just someone who is bothered by people when theyre intoxicated and want to engage in chat, or buy/sell drugs.

For about a year, i used to walk home this route, towards Donore Ave. late at night, towards Portobello. Not once did i encounter trouble. Just the occasional drunken messers or people high on something else. Very mild.

Nothing unique to that area either. It's the same as you'd expect on Thomas Street, James's Street etc.

But again, Donore Ave itself is lovely. Nice, quiet street.

Everywhere around there is as safe as anywhere in Dublin, Cork Street can feel a bit rough if drunk or high people scare you, but I have never experienced any criminality there.

Now, I have seen some people of colour verbally abused which can be unsettling and my straight partner was called a homophobic slur once too, but that could happen in Blackrock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement