Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cornering

• 17-07-2020 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭

I've been getting back into the MTB since early last year, having previously started about 15 years ago. Skills have come along ok in that I'm comfortable climbing, descending including very steep sections, rock gardens, drop offs, small jumps etc but I seem to be really struggling cornering, especially fast corners and berms.

Riding the coilte trails, I am flying past my mates on steep or technical sections but the main track down to the carpark from the masts at ticknock (the very flowy one), I am struggling to keep pace, mainly due to the corners.

I've tried my mates bikes and no improvement, im still using spds so might try and spin without cleats but otherwise just can't get a comfortable feeling.

Anyone any advice, guides to follows or a good short section of track somewhere I could session to try improve things?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

There are some good videos on GMBN's Youtube page or you could try a coached skills session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Millions of YouTubes on cornering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

One thing I have tried, drop a few psi in your rear tyre, less than you would normally run, then cycle up and down a flat street and turn the bike hard and push down with your hips, you'll know the feeling when you feel the tyre bend on the rim, that hip movement is what helps with cornering, pushing the bike through with your hips.

You don't need to lower the pressure of course, I just did it because it helped my mind to register when I had the movement correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭prunudo

Check out fluidride on YouTube, he has lots of great videos on all sorts of mtb skills. Not the most exciting voice but he does explain things in a very clear and to the point way.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I would suggest to get some coaching organised if you can. Had a session myself and found even just that was great help. Others in my club who are well seasoned mountain bikers have done so too, feedback from most of them lads is they should have done it years ago. I didnt think I had a problem with cornering till that session :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Peter T wrote: »
    I would suggest to get some coaching organised if you can. Had a session myself and found even just that was great help. Others in my club who are well seasoned mountain bikers have done so too, feedback from most of them lads is they should have done it years ago. I didnt think I had a problem with cornering till that session :o

Where did you get the coaching? Could probably do with some!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Where did you get the coaching? Could probably do with some!

I did a skills session with Killian Callaghan. Really enjoyed it, he broke stuff down really well. Now it's up to me to do my homework!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Same as above for me

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭covey123

Advertisement