Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Arch Flowers

Options
  • 17-07-2020 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

I have a garden arch with leaves aplenty but no flowers. Was in Woodies and saw some options (etoile violette, Zara, Jackmanni) I love pink and white flowers and was drawn to Miss Bateman and Piilu. Anyone have any of these or other suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Climbing rose or honeysuckle would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What is it that is creating the leaves aplenty? Is it something that is supposed to have flowers, or are you trying to liven up an evergreen arch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Little Miss Fairy

looksee wrote: »
    What is it that is creating the leaves aplenty? Is it something that is supposed to have flowers, or are you trying to liven up an evergreen arch?

Not sure whether there were ever flowers as I only recently moved in. The leaves are pretty. Think I’ll add to them

A pic would help us give you useful suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Climbing rose or honeysuckle would be nice

Just to add to this- from bitter experience make sure you get a climbing rose and not a rambling rose- the latter are like the dog rose in hedgerows, it flowers in one go and then it's done- a true climber will flower over the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Little Miss Fairy

First attempt to post a pic

It looks as though you have a wisteria on the right, which has lovely flowers in spring. Yours needs pruning to improve flowering. On the left it looks as though you have random bits of hedge pushing through, lonicera and laurel by the looks of it. Suggest you cut it right back to leave the arch clear to grow things on. Even with the wisteria some clematis would be nice on there, just get what you like the look of. Possibly avoid montana - while it is lovely it would be far too vigorous combined with the wisteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Looks like a sweet pea flowering on the left too. Keep dead heading that and it will flower for longer

Looks like a sweet pea flowering on the left too. Keep dead heading that and it will flower for longer

Well spotted! On second look I think it is lonicera and bindweed on the left :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

looksee wrote: »
    Well spotted! On second look I think it is lonicera and bindweed on the left :D

Yep a little sneaky bindweed. Hate them :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement