Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fitting 15mm radiator valve to new build home

• 17-07-2020 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

hi would anyone know if an adapter exists that will connect this 15mm compression fit radiator valve to what im guessing is 16mm pex or armour pipe any help appreciated as iv run out of ideas it fits the radiator perfect but wont match with the pipe house is a new build few months old

The radiator valve is from the uk but also sold here in irish plumbing shops i believe i need to get down to 1/2 inch the nut is 1 inch with a 15mm diameter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd be surprised if that didn't just fit on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 C6

I had a plumber out originally who siad it wont work and i need a 1/2 nut

Would anyone know if this would fit its absolutely frying my brain at this stage the plumbers saying no 15mm will fit as they are all uk spec but most if not all the irish suppliers seem to stock 15mm valves also , it even says 15 on my original connection

I just need to figure out what fits and what doesnt so i can pick up a valve and have a plumber out to swap them over

I think this will do the job but would just love some confirmation before i buy another valve
    https://www.bestheating.ie/milano-windsor-traditional-thermostatic-corner-radiator-valves-chrome-pair-59382

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

C6 wrote: »
    I had a plumber out originally who siad it wont work and i need a 1/2 nut

Would anyone know if this would fit its absolutely frying my brain at this stage the plumbers saying no 15mm will fit as they are all uk spec but most if not all the irish suppliers seem to stock 15mm valves also , it even says 15 on my original connection

I just need to figure out what fits and what doesnt so i can pick up a valve and have a plumber out to swap them over

I think this will do the job but would just love some confirmation before i buy another valve
    https://www.bestheating.ie/milano-windsor-traditional-thermostatic-corner-radiator-valves-chrome-pair-59382

Would you not just let the plumber supply it, used to do my head in when I did that line of work, if you are saving money buying the valve, I'm not making anything on it so my call out charge just goes up. I had to hit a number each day to stay on the road. That guy drove to your house to do an hour job, now he has to come back for another hour to do an hour job, and you arnt even sure you will have the right valve the second time. How much are you saving on the valve?
    If it was me doing the job the price would have gone from 80-100 or so euro to anything up to 300.

If you had of put a price on all the hours of research and online ordering etc for these rad valves how much would you want an hour?

Would you not just let the plumber supply it, used to do my head in when I did that line of work, if you are saving money buying the valve, I'm not making anything on it so my call out charge just goes up. I had to hit a number each day to stay on the road. That guy drove to your house to do an hour job, now he has to come back for another hour to do an hour job, and you arnt even sure you will have the right valve the second time. How much are you saving on the valve?
    If it was me doing the job the price would have gone from 80-100 or so euro to anything up to 300.

If you had of put a price on all the hours of research and online ordering etc for these rad valves how much would you want an hour?

First of all im saving nothing on the valve its my house and id like to select the valve thats fit to it rather then a generic white piece of plastic had i known it was going to be this much of a mess with constant back and forth imperial metric nonsense i wouldnt have bothered

Secondly the plumber charged 170e arrived with no tools id to lend him mine so he would have been making a repeat trip anyway , i let him get his own valve last week he was to arrive monday morning iv heard nothing back

Typical bull**** i post asking for advice and get nonsense about a plumber creaming a bit extra off the top when you used to do the job waste of time

Il look elsewhere for help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

First of all im saving nothing on the valve its my house and id like to select the valve thats fit to it rather then a generic white piece of plastic had i known it was going to be this much of a mess with constant back and forth imperial metric nonsense i wouldnt have bothered

Secondly the plumber charged 170e arrived with no tools id to lend him mine so he would have been making a repeat trip anyway , i let him get his own valve last week he was to arrive monday morning iv heard nothing back

Typical bull**** i post asking for advice and get nonsense about a plumber creaming a bit extra off the top when you used to do the job waste of time

Il look elsewhere for help

Ok, always consult your plumber before buying anything will be my free advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

hi would anyone know if an adapter exists that will connect this 15mm compression fit radiator valve to what im guessing is 16mm pex or armour pipe any help appreciated as iv run out of ideas it fits the radiator perfect but wont match with the pipe house is a new build few months old

The radiator valve is from the uk but also sold here in irish plumbing shops i believe i need to get down to 1/2 inch the nut is 1 inch with a 15mm diameter

That should go straight on. The two sizes you refer to are 15mm (British) and 1/2” (Irish). Both are very similar but there can sometimes be an issue when joining imp/metric together.

Usually easily resolved and nothing a plumber wouldn’t be dealing with regularly - particularly in the border regions.

Maybe get somebody else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

It's already got a 16mm to 15 adapter on it. Your new valve will fit but you have to have use that bigger type nut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Thats 16mm multi layer pipe coming out from the wall.

Depending on what rad valve you want to install.

If its a 15mm valve (english)you need a 16mm by 15mm multilayer adaptor.

If its a 1/2” valve(irish) you need a 16mm x 1/2 “ multi layer adaptor.

One issue is that if the current pipe coming from the wall has an Irish 1/2 adaptor in it and you need to change it for a 15mm english adaptor,you would need to remove the adaptor...depending on how hard it was compressed before hand will determine the difficulty changing it

Thanks for the replys much appreciated im reasonably handy at most bits of diy but decided to leave the rad swap to a plumber as iv zero experience on that side and was afraid of messing up a new system

I think il ring round and try get a more experienced plumber out to have a look at it i cant offer it up to it to check as it would involve draining the system to pop the valve off and im a bit wary of doing it

The info above is very helpfull and exactly what i was looking for thank you

i did do a little more digging earlier is well its a 16mm nut on 16x2.0mm pipe so yous are spot on

Once again gratefull for the advice above many thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement