Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which VU box?

• 17-07-2020 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I want to replace our sky q with a VU box at the end of the year. I used to have a VU Duo few years ago. We watch hardly any paid tv any more so the requirement is a box which will have two Satelite tuners and a tuner for Saorview so we can record shows from RTE and BBC etc without and hassle.

I'm comfortable enough setting up the box etc.

I'm looking at worldofsatelite and wondering if the VU+ Uno 4K SE would do the job or would i have to go for a VU Ultimo?

I'm wondering if the Uno 4k SE might work if ordered with dual satelite tuner configuration and add a USB saorview tuner? From before i think there was reliability issues with USB tuners but maybe thats sorted now? I know the VU boxes are a bit more expensive but i had good experiences before with them

Thanks,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

If you don't want 4K then here's a tip, look on ebay for a duo2 with twin tuners for sat and twin tuners for saorview. This one is what I mean.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VU-Duo-2-HDTV-Twin-Satreceiver-mit-2000-GB-Festplatte-2x-DVB-S2-2xDVB-C-WLAN/392875882617?hash=item5b793a3879:g:zVMAAOSwzlFfAuO1

With the dual saorview tuner like this you have rf out to tv.

Or for 4k get the ultimo and you can have a twin saorview in slot 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thanks folk's,
    I picked up a Vu solo 4k over the weekend. It's got two Satelite tuners but I'll add a tuner for saorview..I want to use this box for watching and recording from saorview and free to air UK channels. I'm using open vix and the auto bouquets maker and epg is working perfectly. I choose freesat and scan. The only annoying thing is it includes channel 4 SD..I know that's the version available on freesat. Is there an easy way to swap in channel 4hd?

What are people using those days to manually edit bouquets? On my duo a few years ago I used a version of dreambox edit..

Have any Irish users setup a bouquet or plugin that's a combo of saorview from terrestrial plus freesat with channel4 hd?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

Thanks folk's,
    I picked up a Vu solo 4k over the weekend. It's got two Satelite tuners but I'll add a tuner for saorview..I want to use this box for watching and recording from saorview and free to air UK channels. I'm using open vix and the auto bouquets maker and epg is working perfectly. I choose freesat and scan. The only annoying thing is it includes channel 4 SD..I know that's the version available on freesat. Is there an easy way to swap in channel 4hd?

What are people using those days to manually edit bouquets? On my duo a few years ago I used a version of dreambox edit..

Have any Irish users setup a bouquet or plugin that's a combo of saorview from terrestrial plus freesat with channel4 hd?

Cheers,
    Mick

I use this with my Duo2 and Vix for Saorview, works great.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184339442822

or this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PlayTV-DVB-T-Freeview-Tuner-Play-TV-Sony-Playstation-3-PS3-SCEH-0036-NO-ACCESSOR/154008536288?hash=item23db9fc4e0:g:itQAAOSwaPhfBdOg

and I use it with duo2 as well with vix. but NB its a dual tuner so you can record all of soarview at once! The driver on vix is dvb-usbdib0700.

As the epg I still use deamboxedit. For CH4 Hd I just add to bouquet using remote.

Where dd you get the solo4k??

swoofer wrote: »
    or this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PlayTV-DVB-T-Freeview-Tuner-Play-TV-Sony-Playstation-3-PS3-SCEH-0036-NO-ACCESSOR/154008536288?hash=item23db9fc4e0:g:itQAAOSwaPhfBdOg

and I use it with duo2 as well with vix. but NB its a dual tuner so you can record all of soarview at once! The driver on vix is dvb-usbdib0700.

As the epg I still use deamboxedit. For CH4 Hd I just add to bouquet using remote.

Picked up from private seller secondhand

• Advertisement

or this one

Do You ever have issues with the play tuner locking up? I had one with my duo years ago but wasn't very reliable.

Had issues with EPG for channel 4 HD not showing but installed crossepg and using sky UK ad source a d all set. Amazing how these things come back to you. Installed the blue HD skin and it's practically sky HD now..I'll still get complaints about it's awkward to use..

Do You ever have issues with the play tuner locking up? I had one with my duo years ago but wasn't very reliable.

Had issues with EPG for channel 4 HD not showing but installed crossepg and using sky UK ad source a d all set. Amazing how these things come back to you. Installed the blue HD skin and it's practically sky HD now..I'll still get complaints about it's awkward to use..

I've had the play tuner about 3yrs, and beyond it being a bit fiddly to find the right driver when installing the first time, never had an issue.

Initially had the box lock up while watching with play tv but I think it was software related. Changed image and no problems since. You can install a dual dvbc/t2 in the solo4k and I am sure the one that fits a duo2 will work. Its a better option as you can have rf out.

The skin I have is slyk 1080 r19 by kiddac and he has added a few mods, epg, movie and top picks. Its very good. Its on linuxsat and apparently there may be a glitch with VIX but I loaded it anyway and looks fine. I am messing with a sky q one as well(lots of spare time).

Initially had the box lock up while watching with play tv but I think it was software related. Changed image and no problems since. You can install a dual dvbc/t2 in the solo4k and I am sure the one that fits a duo2 will work. Its a better option as you can have rf out.

The skin I have is slyk 1080 r19 by kiddac and he has added a few mods, epg, movie and top picks. Its very good. Its on linuxsat and apparently there may be a glitch with VIX but I loaded it anyway and looks fine. I am messing with a sky q one as well(lots of spare time).

I actually ordered the internal Vu tuner. Expensive but hopefully be tidier and as rf out etc. I'm wondering about cancelling sky now. My contract isn't up til January but it's only basic package so not costing a fortune anyway. Will they charge early termination if I cancel? As they own the equipment I assume the box goes back but I keep the dish?

with sky Q did they change lnb for a hybrid one ie 6 outputs? if its only 2 you need a new lnb!!

• Advertisement

with sky Q did they change lnb for a hybrid one ie 6 outputs? if its only 2 you need a new lnb!!

Yeah I got a hybrid lnb with the sky q install as had feessat on tv and another combi box in bedroom

Question on the hybrid lnb. All outputs from the dish will work for free to air? Seems to be fine at the moment anyway. I just connected the sky q cables to the Vu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The only annoying thing is it includes channel 4 SD..I know that's the version available on freesat. Is there an easy way to swap in channel 4hd?

I use the Sky UK provider instead of Freesat. It includes more channels, has channel 4 in HD and (for me at least) has the channels in a better order. Just remember to ensure you select FTA only option.

dulpit wrote: »
    I use the Sky UK provider instead of Freesat. It includes more channels, has channel 4 in HD and (for me at least) has the channels in a better order. Just remember to ensure you select FTA only option.

Do you have saorview channels? Just curious if the epg loads for them properly

I add both the saorview and sky UK bouquets. I don't bother combining them, so it means that my first bouquet is saorview, my second is the entertainment section from sky (bbc/utv/c4/c5/etc)

Oh and re epg, I use crossepg and it finds the details for saorview no hassle.

I add both the saorview and sky UK bouquets. I don't bother combining them, so it means that my first bouquet is saorview, my second is the entertainment section from sky (bbc/utv/c4/c5/etc)

Thanks that's my plan. Just waiting for my terrestrial tuner to arrive.

I have mine set up the sames way, and also have a 2nd dish pointed at 19.2.
    There's lots of FTA stuff there also, eg German with dual channel audio on movies etc.

I used to use that a lot more in the past before streaming became a thing however

Advertisement