Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From ecommerce to bricks and mortar?

Options
  • 17-07-2020 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

I have been running an ecommerce store from home for a few years now and all is going well. My main problem at this point is that if I want to grow the business further I need more space for stock. I have given it a lot of thought and feel like a retail store rather than storage space would suit the business best given what I sell. The main problem is I have no idea what I'm doing.

The e-commerce store started from a hobby and grew wings, I know what I am doing there at this stage but I don't know the first thing about an actual shop. There is a place for rent locally that looks like it will fit the bill nicely so I called to enquire about it and instead of giving me info over the phone they have insisted I go view the place in person and presumably give me a sales spiel, so that is what I am doing this weekend. Are there specific things I should be asking about, specific things they will expect from me? Is there some kind of guide to setting up a shop in Ireland 101 somewhere on the internet that I haven't found? I feel way out of my depth. I don't know the first thing about commercial lets and have no friends of family in the retail business that can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Go for a unit in a business park that can have a retail showroom - this gives you space and retail sales without the need for retail rents.

Retail units can have high rate costs even if the rent is low.

What area of the country are you in and I'll give you an example

I see you are probably in Galway, so here's an example https://www.daft.ie/galway/commercial-property-for-rent/industrial-unit-for-rent/unit-31-kilkerrin-park-liosban-industrial-estate-tuam-road-galway-207117/

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roots2branches

Another option might be to outsource your fulfilment to another company. There's several in Ireland. Basicaly they hold your stock and ship it out to your customers. You pay a fee for storage and a picking fee but you can access cheaper shipping rates as they can negotiate due to their volume.

It would save you a lot of bother with having your own warehouse/shop, unless that's what you would prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Would you benefit from having a retail store in a good location with good footfall for passing trade? Or happy to go with a warehouse to accept clients etc?

You could try negotiate a short lease of a couple of months to dip your toe in the water. I know Dun Laoghire local enterprise have a specific scheme around this type of "pop up shop" - that might not be much use but Im sure some people in Galway with vacant units may be open to this as well.

For a start I would at least try get ballpark figures thinking around these costs:
    - Rent (from the agent/landlord)
    - Rates (can be looked up online)
    - Insurance (public liability), you will need to google or ring around to get quotes
    - Light & Heat, difficult to estimate without knowing the premises
    - Staff costs, if you plan on taking people on. For this ring the Workplace Relations commission, they will put you in contact with somebody to talk to

Finally, regarding not knowing what you are doing, nobody really does when starting out so you are not unique there. I would get in contact with the local LEO office. Its literally their job to help you out with this stuff, they will have dealt with plenty of people in your position in the past and will have some insight. They might recommend a training course which will be either cheap or free. They can also advise you on grants, e.g this one for business expansion which might suit you

Also maybe have a chat with your accountant - they may be able to provide some insight/business advice also

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Would you be working in the shop yourself? It takes a surprising amount of time just to run the shop well if you plan on doing both. I run online and my wife runs the day to day of the b&m shop no way one person could do both. Also just because something works well online doesn't always mean it works well on the high st we are always amazed at how different the sales are.

Advertisement