Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a defective report, i.e proving no misuse

Options
  • 17-07-2020 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm having a battle with Anker to replace/repair a faulty wireless phone charger pad bought 18 months ago. Their response is;

To apply the Ireland's six-year statutory rights, please provide us with a defective report confirming that the fault did not arise as a result of misuse.

It's a phone charging pad, how could it be misused, anyways I really want to see this through. How official does this report have to be? Could I mock something up with a company letterhead or where could I get such a report?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Did you buy this device from Anker? If not then it is the retailer you need to take the matter up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Power surge,
    Leaving it plugged in for long periods
    General misuse

It's for you to prove that a fault occurred that was due to the manufacture of the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Hello,

I'm having a battle with Anker to replace/repair a faulty wireless phone charger pad bought 18 months ago. Their response is;

To apply the Ireland's six-year statutory rights, please provide us with a defective report confirming that the fault did not arise as a result of misuse.

It's a phone charging pad, how could it be misused, anyways I really want to see this through. <B>How official does this report have to be? Could I mock something up with a company letterhead or where could I get such a report?</b>

Are you seriously saying you are willing to risk getting charged with fraud for the sake of the amount this wireless charger costs.

If you were to "mock" an engineer's report you would be taking a serious risk.

What is the fault with the charger and when did it start ? Logic says if a product is working for some time and then stops it's more than likely an error caused by use and not a manufacturing defect, unless there are multiple users with the same issue, this would indicate a possible manufacturers issue.

In essence you need to prove that the issue is a common one and the manufacturer needs to accept that a batch may have been defective.

Financially how much are you fighting over €100 ? (I honestly don't know the price on a wireless charger) .... It sounds like you either have to dig your heels in and spend a lot more money on engineers reports and research etc than it would be to just buy a replacement.

The company have asked you for proof it wasn't misused, so prove it to them, if necessary seek an engineer's report , which could cost anywhere between €200-2000 (numbers completely made up)
    engineer will give you a better idea of cost of report, but if the engineer says he/she can't see any manufacturing defect, the company may still not pay out and you might have to find another way to prove it wasn't misused.

Was it in your possession solely since purchase? Is there any chance another house member or guest may have damaged it and didn't tell you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Just saw that wireless chargers are about €20

Op - move on, buy a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Will reluctantly move on considering the advise posted. Just annoying as I only intermittently used it and I’m certain it was never misused. Seems the burden of proof required for your 6 year rights are practically impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Will reluctantly move on considering the advise posted. Just annoying as I only intermittently used it and I’m certain it was never misused. Seems the burden of proof required for your 6 year rights are practically impossible.

Electronics are disposable, the 6yr rights or “reasonable expectation of life” is there for people who purchase laptops that cost €2k or more, mobile phones that cost over a thousand, items which can and will struggle after about 24months, I had almost 6yrs on a 3k laptop and battery was replaced free of charge (battery would have cost me €800) - so it would have been a tough call between replace battery or buy a new machine after that length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They're within their rights to ask for a report:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2003/si/11/made/en/print

Advertisement