Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Boiler

• 17-07-2020 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I need a new gas boiler to replace my 16 year old fireplace Baxi boiler inset. The gasman told me they do not make this type anymore and so I need a wall mounted boiler which will mean relocating the new boiler to front or back wall. Surely, a bit of extra materials like piping will not be too much of an extra cost. I have been quoted 4000 from SJM Plumbing and Heating. Dublin plumbing and gas 25050. Swift Energy 2399(boiler only) As my house was built in the 1960s I may be entitled to a grant. It is worth applying for this?
    Would anyone care to recommend a particular brand of boiler or company to supply and fit in the west Dublin area. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Make sure when your comparing quotes that what they are quoting are comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

You’re all over the place op. Are some companies fitting heating controls? Once your house was built pre 2006 Then you’re entitled to the same grant Regardless of the year, but you’re only entitled to the grant if you’re getting new heating controls. There is no grant for boiler only change. If you want the job done properly then you should should be quoted on

New boiler with at least 5 year warranty.
    Power flush (not chemical flush) of heating system
    Magnetic filter fitted to new boiler
    This usually costs (for a straight swap) around 2,00 - 2,400 depending on the system size and boiler used.

The fact you’re moving boiler position and more than likely increasing gas pipe size as it’s unlikely 3/4” gas pipe was ran to an old back boiler then I’d say add anything up to Another 2,000 on that original price. Now, I could be a mile off the mark as jobs like these can vary hugely.

If you’re putting in heating controls to the job I’d say add another 1,500. From this you’ll be entitled to 700 back.

So normally speaking, including heating controls, you’d be looking at 4 - 6k.
    If anyone is quoting you between 2-3k for the job then they’re a cowboy cutting corners

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Cantonahuges

Totally agree . Boiler change. heating controls . Upgrade gas pipework and bonding . Flush system very important when changing from a back boiler. 6k all day long done properly. My advice go as local as you can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Be carefull of cheap prices and companies who sub contract the work out.

A post worth reading would be “mains fed combi disaster”
    A good example of a cheap installation which is now a mess and could have been easily avoided.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Op. Be sure the read the PM from sleeper12. I am awaiting permission to approve his post where he highlights the need to research your installer.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
Advertisement