Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel - can I send package to myself

Options
  • 17-07-2020 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭

I sometimes buy stuff online and PM is often the most cost effective way to ship items. The sellers don't want to go through the hassle of setting up an account to generate the labels.

Can I pay for the shipment myself, generate a shipping label and send it to the seller? They would then go to the nearest parcel motel to have it shipped, so it is delivered to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

grogi wrote: »
    I sometimes buy stuff online and PM is often the most cost effective way to ship items. The sellers don't want to go through the hassle of setting up an account to generate the labels.

Can I pay for the shipment myself, generate a shipping label and send it to the seller? They would then go to the nearest parcel motel to have it shipped, so it is delivered to me?

Confused... Why aren't they just sending via regular post to your parcel motel address? They don't need a parcel motel account

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've done this but used the wife's account and moved her to 'cavan' or 'leitrim' temporarily!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The sellers don't want to go through the hassle of setting up an account to generate the labels.

There's no labels involved and the seller doesn't need to establish a B2B relationship with PM. You supply the seller with the address of the PM depot in NI and they ship the goods there using their usual carrier, the same as if they were delivering to a private house.

They don't need to treat PM as a shipping company, it's simply a delivery address.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Confused... Why aren't they just sending via regular post to your parcel motel address? They don't need a parcel motel account

If they send it via AnPost to Parcel Motel, they can send it directly to my door for the same money. But it is not what I am after.

Using parcel motel can be significantly cheaper: let's say 4 kg parcel...

Scenario 1: Vendor gets to the motel, stores the parcel, parcel teleports to my motel, I collect parcel. Cost - €6.50.
    Scenario 2: If vendor sends it to Parcel Motel in Dublin - let's say with AnPost fee of €11.00, then the parcel gets to my motel and I collect it. Fee: €3.95. Total €14.95.

That's significantly cheaper, don't you think? Get's even better for >5kg packages... :]
    coylemj wrote: »
    They don't need to treat PM as a shipping company, it's simply a delivery address.

But if you do treat PM as a shipping company, you'll save a small fortune...
    sweetie wrote: »
    I've done this but used the wife's account and moved her to 'cavan' or 'leitrim' temporarily!

I think that's what I am going to do... I'll move myself wherever and have stuff shipped to the Mrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

They would then go to the nearest parcel motel to have it shipped, so it is delivered to me?
    If they send it via AnPost to Parcel Motel, they can send it directly to my door for the same money. But it is not what I am after.

I see what you are doing, the Seller would us their local parcel motel point to send a parcel to you, and yes it would be cheaper, until you factor in the sellers time and effort to go to to thier local parcel motel and put the parcel in, if they are sending multiple parcels per day, they could spend an hour there, so much easier for the sellers to drop off a few parcels at a post offfice, or have UPS all to collect them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Using parcel motel can be significantly cheaper: let's say 4 kg parcel...

Scenario 1: Vendor gets to the motel, stores the parcel, parcel teleports to my motel, I collect parcel. Cost - €6.50.
    Scenario 2: If vendor sends it to Parcel Motel in Dublin - let's say with AnPost fee of €11.00, then the parcel gets to my motel and I collect it. Fee: €3.95. Total €14.95.

That's significantly cheaper, don't you think? Get's even better for >5kg packages... :]

But if you do treat PM as a shipping company, you'll save a small fortune...

I think that's what I am going to do... I'll move myself wherever and have stuff shipped to the Mrs.

Isn't this a lot of hassle for the seller though, having to process your order differently to everyone else and having to drop it off somewhere especially?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

miezekatze wrote: »
    Isn't this a lot of hassle for the seller though, having to process your order differently to everyone else and having to drop it off somewhere especially?

Well, if they have 10 orders a day - yes. If they have one per month - not so much...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Well, if they have 10 orders a day - yes. If they have one per month - not so much...

Even one order a month, they save you €10 a pop, but spend 30/40 minutes on the trip to parcel motel, you would want to be a very good/profitable customer for them to do this.

Advertisement