Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting of old kitchen dresser

• 17-07-2020 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I want to paint an old kitchen dresser (see photo). Top of dresser is being replaced with worktop, so that does not matter.

I assume I will need to sand first with fine sandpaper.

My question is regarding how to paint for best finish. I will be using a matt finish, not gloss.

Should I use a brush or a roller, and if a roller, what type e.g. sponge.

Thanks,
    Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Micro fibre or mohair roller. You will need shellac to stop any knots bleeding through. Be prepared for those doors to swell and stick after. You may well have some planing to do. ( happened me with every door on a 40 door kitchen this week. Bloody mare!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I want to paint an old kitchen dresser (see photo). Top of dresser is being replaced with worktop, so that does not matter.

My question is regarding how to paint for best finish. I will be using a matt finish, not gloss.

Thanks,
    Tommy

Did our kitchen this year, get yourself a tin of Bin Primer, if you want to paint it a different colour. It'll seal all the knots and help the paint stick, you dont have to do as much sanding either, only a light rub.

2-3 coats of satinwood for a nice finish .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I did similar to a pine wardrobe this month. The unit originally had a waxed finish so I did my best to strip back the wax finish before priming the lot with Zinnser BIN, undercoating with an oil-based undercoat and finished with 2 coats of Colortrend (water-based) eggshell; it turned out great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Callan

I used rollers similar to the below when painting kitchen cabinets. It left a very smooth finish with satin paint.
    https://stillorgandecor.ie/product/2pk-fleetwood-4-penguin-flocked-foam-roller-sleeves/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thanks,
    Tommy

As it happens, I just, completed mine recently, I used ronseal Garden paint as it comes in a range of colors. I thoutaghly sanded down the dresser first, no primers needed but two coats advisable, I think it looks OK, I'll try attach pic. I choose not to paint entire unit but could if necessary. Ronseal garden paint does require fine brush.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

This how my wardrobe paint job turned out:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This how my wardrobe paint job turned out:

Nice job

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement