Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car accident

• 18-07-2020 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

About 4 weeks ago my partner accidentally crashed her car into the front of our house / neighbours house (automatic - brake/accelerator mishap).
    I phoned the guards and was told that as it was on private property it was just between the insurance company and ourselves. My partner was fairly shook up and had a couple of whiskeys to calm herself but in the meantime my neighbour rang the guards again and demanded they called to the house. When they did (an hour and a half later I might add), they assumed she'd been dui and took her to the station for a blood test - we received the results from the testing facility last week saying she was over the limit.
    We're worried that our insurance policy states it won't cover if alcohol or drugs are involved.
    We will definitely fight it in court if it comes to that but does anyone know what our options are with the insurance company? We've rang them but they just say they won't pay for the repairs until they hear from the guards.
    How long would a summons normally take?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds credible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I hope it was good whiskey

Feck, a pig just flew by my window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Hipflask defence has been used successfully before ... But my memory is that person was related to a Garda (the courts take the word of a Garda over the word of an ordinary Joe soap because they are trained in giving evidence)

Get yourself a good legal.

Edit: if your version of the truth is accepted insurance company will pay out but you are looking at approximately 12months until court date.

Advertisement