Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soil disposal

Options
  • 18-07-2020 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im redoing the lawn (eventually laying new sods) and I've a turf cutter hired for the weekend.
    Is the main way to dispose using a skip hire? I don't have space to make a compost heap. Will cost around 275e from my research.

Ive about 75m2 and planning to dig out around 10cm. Is that enough if im adding topsoil and rolled sods later?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That's a lot of soil. Why are you talking so much off? Is it very poor soil?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

That's a lot of soil. Why are you talking so much off? Is it very poor soil?

The top layer isn't great (lots of stones, very weedy) but in general its probably decent silty kind of soil.

What depth would you recommend?

Johnny86 wrote: »
    The top layer isn't great (lots of stones, very weedy) but in general its probably decent silty kind of soil.

What depth would you recommend?

Actually, i think the turf cutter is only taking off 20mm anyway. So that would be 75m2 x 0.02 = 1.5m3 of soil for disposal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Obvious question is where are you. I'd take it away if you were anyway close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

I would take it off you too

• Advertisement

Im in Portmarnock. I've attached a photo of what I'm digging out.
    Happy to give it away...could pile it into the babyskip 1ton bags for now if you wanted to collect?

Too far away from me but you would definitely get lads to take it off you for free

JJJackal wrote: »
    Too far away from me but you would definitely get lads to take it off you for free

Cheers. What the main use? Just as compost or for raised beds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

If you stack it up like a wall (say 4ft high max) and cover it then it will break down into a really good fiberous loamy compost. The base for traditional John Innes type composts.

But if I was close enough to pick it up (I'm not) then I'd just use it to infill where beds were a bit low on soil and I wanted to bring the ground up a bit (big garden so I could easily use tens of cubic meters).

I actually just have a hole in the garden that I need to fill in :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement