Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eir FTTC / VDSL 3rd Party Router Settings (ANSWER)

Options
  • 18-07-2020 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've set-up many 3rd party routers with the above, and different routers have different (more / less) options. Installed a Draytek 2892 the other day and took a bit of trial and error to get all the settings lined up.

Just putting the below incase anyone else finds themselves with a Draytek which they need to get online, hopefully it will help others in future. Using the below settings allows you to plug the RJ11 directly into the Draytek, meaning you don't use the eir provided router at all. I've also had success with FTTH using the Drayteks by plugging the CAT5/6 from the ONT directly into the Draytek (although these settings will be different).

Router Configuration – DSL

=> WAN => General Setup => WAN1
    DSL Mode: VDSL2 Only
    DSL Modem Code: Default
    Active Mode: Always on

VLAN TAG
    VDSL2 - Service (TPID 0x8100)
    ENABLE
    TAG Value: 10
    Priority: 0
    (Disable any other VLAN Tags)

=> WAN => Internet Access
    Access Mode: PPPoE / PPPoA
    Multi-PVC channel: Channel 1
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Encapsulating Type: LLC/SNAP
    Protocol: PPPoE
    Modulation: Multimode
    Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Pass: broadband1
    MTU: 1492
    PPP Authentication: PAP or CHAP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jq2468

Hi @JohnCleary! Do you know if the eir FTTH setup would work with the ASUS AC3000 Tri-band Whole-Home Mesh WiFi System?

I'm currently using that off a Virgin Media router and am keen to know if I'd have any issues if I switch over to eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bart877

Howdy,

thanks for this, I have managed to swap my EIR router to WIFI 6E enabled one got it from Amazon Mercusys AX3000.

At first I spent a solid hour, trying different options, but nothing worked. Then decided to search the net and taddaam.
    I think the PPPoE and username with password was critical. Didn't change the MTU yet, but will play around later on tonight to find out, what is the max it can take.

So I am on Eir Fibre 500mb, with Eir router I was getting low signal in the attic and speeds were dropping on my pc.

After swapping the router, I have like full coverage and almost max speed of the line, but on wifi.

I am very impressed and since 7:10am not a single drop or instability. All devices (14) connected, (since kids back from school, me and wife are on the remote work, Mother in Law minding kids(watching soaps on phone) So real benchmark was performed.

3 on Wi-Fi 6, Tablet, Smartphone, Gaming Rig.

3 on Wi-Fi 5, Laptop, TV stream and Nintendo
    8 on Wi-Fi 2.4 (inc IoT, doorbells, nests, heating and 2 laptops)

Very happy and thank you for the guide. Much, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

If you're on fibre and don't have a static IP, you'd be better off just using DHCP rather than PPPoE, it should give you a slight speed boost. DHCP only works on Eir though, maybe also Pure in areas where they resell Eir.

Advertisement