Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courgette trouble

Options
  • 18-07-2020 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm growing courgettes this year for the first time and having trouble with the plants aborting the fruit. They flower fine, I can see the immature fruits, then the flower dies, falls off and the fruit follows suit shortly afterwards. I know they need to be pollinated but the trouble is that there never seems to be male and female flowers in bloom at the same time, I get a crop of female flowers, which all die after a day or two, then a few days after that, a bunch of male flowers which die before the next round of females. Repeat ad nauseum! It's very frustrating.

Anyone any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭daheff

Having similar problems. All flower no fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

There is also a rogue batch of seeds this year that result in poisonous courgettes. Sister in Uk affected....produced by Fothergills. They taste bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

I'm getting all female fruit with no male flowers. All fruit consequently being aborted. If you get male flowers my advice is pick them and put them in the fridge. Then use a cotton bud to pollinate the female from them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lack of sun maybe?, I have three plants close to each other and the two that are not partially blocked by the garden shed have from more fruit than the one in the shade most of the day. I also find feeding them with tomato feed once a week seems to increase production.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

If anyone has an abundance of male flowers around d18 I'll happily take some to pollinate my female ones

• Advertisement
Advertisement