Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding the history on a house

Options
  • 18-07-2020 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I have a bid in on an old cottage that used to be a farmhouse. The estate agent said the original building is over 100 years old. Is there a way to find the history of the cottage even to see when it was built etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it's leasehold there could be a stack of paper with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Find it on osi.ie and use the historic maps overlays.

Depending on how big the townland, you might identify the house on the 1911 census.
    You can look for the townland in newspapers and possibly get some information.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Salanky

Its on land direct as a freehold. Ill try the os map and the census. It doesnt make a huge difference just would be nice to know its history if it is that old.

Found it on the maps and there is a structure in the spot on the maps from 1837-1842 so its a bit older than the 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Salanky wrote: »
    Found it on the maps and there is a structure in the spot on the maps from 1837-1842 so its a bit older than the 100 years.

It might not necessarily be the same structure, and could be significantly modified over the years even if there are some original bits remaining, but it's still cool to know someone was living there at least that far back!

You might want to take a peek at the NIAH Historic Environment Viewer to see if your house might be in their inventory. Probably won't be in there (only a relatively small portion of all of the post-1700 buildings in the country have been inventoried), but if it is, there might be some more details about the property.

• Advertisement

I thought this info was always on the deeds (memorial?) or land reg data? When I bought my house I could see all the owners going back to the 19th century.

Pretty fun to look them up in the census and find out their story, but that's an aside.

dennyk wrote: »
    It might not necessarily be the same structure, and could be significantly modified over the years even if there are some original bits remaining, but it's still cool to know someone was living there at least that far back!

You might want to take a peek at the NIAH Historic Environment Viewer to see if your house might be in their inventory. Probably won't be in there (only a relatively small portion of all of the post-1700 buildings in the country have been inventoried), but if it is, there might be some more details about the property.

They said it was a farmhouse and the extensions either side used to be sheds for animals. Its not on that map but there's a few bits around in which is interesting in itself.

I thought this info was always on the deeds (memorial?) or land reg data? When I bought my house I could see all the owners going back to the 19th century.

Pretty fun to look them up in the census and find out their story, but that's an aside.

Haven't seen the deeds yet as still waiting on the estate agent to get back to say the offer is accepted which should be Monday. I just thought it would be interesting to see what I could find on it given how old he said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

If the property is registry of deeds so you can’t get a a folio, your solicitor should have more details in the deeds. But it’s not necessary to have every deed since house was constructed so it may not cover the full timeline. Your solicitor could get searches carried out or possibly you could contact the valuation office. It would incur additional outlay.

Ill see what comes up once the offer is accepted. I dont mind if I cant find anything, I just thought it would be nice to know the history of the house seeing as it is so old.

• Advertisement
Advertisement