Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever fallen asleep at work, school/college, anywhere strange?

• 18-07-2020 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just thinking about our TD’s falling asleep during the week.
    I used fall asleep during religion in 2nd and 3rd year in secondary school. It used drive the teacher mad. I used also sit near the door and if somebody knocked I had to open it. So, I dozed off. Everybody would be trying to wake me if somebody knocked at the door.
    I feel asleep in a hospital toilet around the time my grandmother died for a few minutes.
    I’ve also fallen asleep at the Cinema.

Have you ever fallen asleep at work, school/college, anywhere strange?

Comments

I fell asleep in the canteen at work this very morning.. for maybe about fifteen minutes..to be rudely awoken by one of the lads telling me I'd to go back in as my supervisor was looking at me funny..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

No. I have not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

When I was 30 weeks pregnant with twins I was in a really long online meeting with plant geneticists ( not my field and lots of jargon) I couldn’t sit upright for long periods of time so brought laptop to my bed so I could recline and support bump. Guess what happened next.... I think I slept for about a hour but didn’t miss my bit so Twas ok I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

No. I have not.

Ah go on, you can tell us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I was so wrecked tired during studying for my LC that once I fell asleep sitting on the toilet at home.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

I used to fall asleep in quarterly communications meetings in work all the time. So much so that some of the lads would be predicting how long it would take me to nod off before the meeting started.

Jonybgud wrote: »
    Ah go on, you can tell us!

Really I have not. Nor have i ever said let them eat salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Fell asleep on the 66 bus to Maynooth years ago. Heading in for an early lecture one morning. The driver let me at it, probably for the laugh! Woke upon the way back into town, just last Palmerstown.

Missed the lecture...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

Back in the day, I was on a 4 or 5 day bender after Meath won an All-Ireland. Woke up one morning, starting looking around and felt completely lost confused and scared. After about 10 minutes I realised I was in my own bed.

Now I drink about 10 pints a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I can't sleep during the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Once fell asleep in a dentist's chair. She was working on my teeth at the time too.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Once fell asleep in a dentist's chair. She was working on my teeth at the time too.
    I wish i could do that! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I was so wrecked tired during studying for my LC that once I fell asleep sitting on the toilet at home.

Had something similar happen when I was at a house party once. I wasn’t intending on falling asleep, I just went in to use the bathroom. A couple of hours later I was woken up by some of the other people there, but only after they’d already taken photos which I only found out about when they were emailed around the office on the Monday morning :o

Other times yep, fallen asleep in work, in school, at home when I was waiting for a friend to arrive to collect me so we could go to the cinema (they said afterwards they were knocking on the door for about half an hour!).

Honestly I think the whole Eamonn Ryan thing is making a meal out of nothing. I don’t have any great time for him other than I think his “we’ll have our salads ready to go” speech was far more inspired than anything Leo had plagiarised from the movies, but falling asleep in work, and especially in the Dail? I’m only surprised many more people don’t fall asleep tbh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

I fell asleep once during, ahm, intimate relations.

My friends always get a good laugh out of bringing it up. I was out with my sister and her friends and was fairly scuttered when I bumped into a guy I used sleep with, giddily went back to his because I was bored third wheeling, but once I got even near the bed I could feel the waves of tiredness hitting me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Alberto Long Underdog

when i went to house parties, in my teens i fell asleep twice in a shower/bath which led to my nickname "Shower" - the host's parents found me in there and woke me up by turning the shower on me

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Fell asleep on the job a few year's ago....she wasn't too impressed

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

when i went to house parties, in my teens i fell asleep twice in a shower/bath which led to my nickname "Shower" - the host's parents found me in there and woke me up by turning the shower on me

Your lucky you didn't fall asleep at my house your nickname would be " Golden Shower " :-$

Work during my break I will catch 30 minutes most days. Not very comfortable but I make it work

In college one of the lecture halls was always got and stuffy. I would be trying to keep my eyes open using my fingers. The lecturer used to give up and tell us all to take 5 minutes outside when it was obvious no one was listening.

When they released the latest star wars, the odeon did a marathon starting at 7pm and the new release at 00.01. I caught a nap about tennish until I was nudged awake. I'm a terrible snorer.

Would have a nap on the beach if I can as well.

Also in college I worked Friday and Saturday nights in a takeaway that was 24 hours. Constantly fell asleep on the bus and ended up in fecking howth summit at 8am. Once I did it again and ended up back in town. I was wrecked finally getting to bed but by God for that pillow and cold sheets felt good.

There was also the time I arrived home blind drunk and snuggled up in the front garden only to be woken and sent packing by my father on his way out to work.

Oh and yes, during a period where my attention was supposed to be on someone else. Seems to be a common one so I don't feel so bad now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Whilst riding a motorbike many years ago ... didn't end well.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

How anyone falls asleep not in their own bed, with complete silence and darkness is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

At the hairdressers when they were washing my hair!

In my defense I was sitting in one of those comfy chairs where you can put your legs up and the back massager on. Very relaxing, highly recommended. They let me snooze for a while before waking me asking if I had a long day at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Fell asleep on a minibus in Monivea, Co. Galway. Woke up 15 miles outside of Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

mike_ie wrote: »
    Fell asleep on a minibus in Monivea, Co. Galway. Woke up 15 miles outside of Paris.

Stags don't count :D

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Fell asleep in work at a meeting.

Fell asleep when I was in the MRI. I get them regularly due to a medical issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

I got dragged to a very boring movie and fell asleep, complete with snoring apparently. Can't remember what it was. I think I erased it from my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Bus shelter near Houston after a big Leinster match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

I was an electrician in a past life. 1st year apprentice and had been hard on the sauce over the weekend. Anyway, I was working with another sparks to pull cables in over a false ceiling. The internal walls didn't go right up to the concrete slab ceiling above so I was about 6ft up a ladder and kind of draped over it. Waiting for the other lad for what felt like an age, next thing I hear is "will you come on to fûck!". I had dozed off on top of the ladder :/

Another time I was working with another sparks and he was connecting up a socket, aul lad about 65. Asked me to stand over him with a torch. Stood over him and put my head against the wall... Dozed off until he let a roar asking if I knew how to use a "fûcking torch" :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

dozed off at a funeral once, had sat up for wake the night before, not well received

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

dozed off at a funeral once, had sat up for wake the night before, not well received

Poor Grimey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Fell asleep on top of an air duct on a job in NY on a Sunday job. Woke up to the sound of big bosses talking below me . I stayed very quiet and they walked on to look at another room. So I recommenced noisy work and they come in to talk to me. I was on my lunch says I.
    Except to walk back to that room I would of have to walk by them. One guy seemed to cop that but what could he say ?
    Oh yeah the bosses moved the 6' ladder I used to get up meaning I had to dangle and drop :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Fell asleep in work at a meeting.

Fell asleep when I was in the MRI. I get them regularly due to a medical issue.

Nearly did that myself. Something about the noise in a MRI that makes me sleepy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,499 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

At the hairdressers when they were washing my hair!

In my defense I was sitting in one of those comfy chairs where you can put your legs up and the back massager on. Very relaxing, highly recommended. They let me snooze for a while before walking me asking if I had a long day at work.

I've done the same. I find when they are massaging the shampoo into your hair to be so relaxing and it doesn't help that everything is blurry as I have to take my glasses off. I have to fight with myself to stay awake every bloody time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Once during an mri

Another time i pulled up in tipp town at the traffic lights when i used drive a truck, only woke when the blowing started behind me, i pulled in behind supermacs down the road and jumped into bed for a couple of hours, i was late with my drop but it was better than putting the whole lot in over the wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Feel asleep during a training on my first ever day in an office job. Fell asleep getting a manicure. Fallen asleep in countless trains, planes, buses, and taxis.

I used to sleep for 40 mins on a 45 min daily commute (in a bus - not driving!) but strangely I never missed my stop. Maybe some kind person poked me awake every day for about three years.

Fell asleep in the cinema, often during movies at home, and sometimes standing up in the shower. Once I fell asleep in a cardboard box.

I just love sleep!!!

*Except when it’s late and I actually should be asleep. Maybe there’s some correlation there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I can basically switch off and go to sleep anywhere which means I am nearly always very well rested with a few exceptions (above), never fell asleep at work,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yes I did fall asleep at work and the ensuing trip to A&E brought a medical diagnosis with life altering results, not all bad but a hell of a change in hours

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Fell asleep during a work meeting once.

I was hungover as hell from a night out for my leaving the company, and it was my second last day in the job, so not that many fecks were given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Any training session for any job, especially if it includes power point presentations, they're my kryptonite for sleeping. Even if I'm genuinely interested in the subject, even if it's baltic cold or surface of the sun hot, I will fall asleep. Just hate classroom situations in general, and 99% of those situations the presenter makes them as boring as they sound.

I've also fell asleep in the doorway of a TSB in Limerick after an evening of drinking wine (I can't drink wine). I was smart enough to fall asleep under a CCTV camera while I waited for the mother to collect me (missed the bus). Still stupid enough to fall asleep on a street in Limerick City.

Slept in a bath too, quite comfortable but I'm short so could fit comfortably.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Gael23 wrote: »
    Yes I did fall asleep at work and the ensuing trip to A&E brought a medical diagnosis with life altering results, not all bad but a hell of a change in hours

Pilot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've often said that if I could make money from sleeping I'd be a millionaire. It's my favourite activity. I can sleep at will, which is handy for shift work.

I once slept for 36 hours straight. Came home from three nights away, got dropped at college, home that night and into the bed. Woke up next day, back into college and it was about lunchtime before I discovered it was Thursday, not Wednesday. It completely wrecked my head! Couldn't do it any more though, my back hurts if I spend too long in the bed :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Pilot?

No, was diagnosed with a condition that has brought about quite a few changes in my life

I fell asleep in secondary school every single day for years. Every day, without fail

ETA: I feel I should qualify this by mentioning it was a boarding school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yes, so many times. Nearly every day in college lectures and on the bus.I even fell asleep in the RDS during one of my final year degree exams. Thankfully I was finished and just reading back over the answers.

Once, while stood up in a clean room on night shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I ain't slept since the 90s

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wouldn't get though the day at work without a 30 minute siesta. I'll try and have a nap every day around lunchtime pretty much wherever I am. Been doing that for the past 6 years (since suffering a serious head injury)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

In a coffee shop, sitting on a sofa by the window. I was reading a book, when I woke up I was still holding it.
    I know it was only a couple of minutes but I laugh any time I think of how many people passed by and saw me.

At least no one stole my stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

One that sticks out for me at the moment is during the Laughlin River run in Nevada.I remember partying hard at the Iron Horse.I woke up at a park in Arizona.Still no idea how but good times nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

In District Court in Massachusetts. I was the plaintiff in a motion to dismiss action.

I'm not a morning person and I'm a bit insomniac when I have something stressful to do the next day. The court officer woke me up with a tap on the shoulder and asked if I was okay. I think it was the loud snoring that attracted attention.

I pulled myself together before my case came up and got it dismissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

At an antiques auction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement