Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city pubs

Options

Comments

In this case daddy C will ensure there's no problem I suppose.

Cases on the rise and this is how a city centre pub/nightclub masquerading as a restaurant carrys on.... Total fooking joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What will probably happen is that the rest of the pubs that don't serve food won't be allowed to open on the 10th, while the pubs that are flouting the rules will get to carry on as they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Friend was in the oliver plunkett few weeks ago had the food but no pressure to move after time limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What will probably happen is that the rest of the pubs that don't serve food won't be allowed to open on the 10th, while the pubs that are flouting the rules will get to carry on as they were.

The whole thing is ridiculous though. Pubs are been painted as the bad guys out there. Never have I seen an industry get so much **** thrown at it. Every other country opened their bars and restaurants without this time limit and restrictions. Why is Ireland so special?

We spent 3.5 months locked in our homes, what's the problem with people wanting to go out and sit at a table drinking and chatting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

rob316 wrote: »
    The whole thing is ridiculous though. Pubs are been painted as the bad guys out there. Never have I seen an industry get so much **** thrown at it. Every other country opened their bars and restaurants without this time limit and restrictions. Why is Ireland so special?

We spent 3.5 months locked in our homes, what's the problem with people wanting to go out and sit at a table drinking and chatting?

And every other country has seen spikes when pubs reopen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Pen Rua wrote: »
    And every other country has seen spikes when pubs reopen.

Sorry but most of these “restaurants” in Cork aren’t operating as such. Secret Garden was operating last night like it was Monday Club or something didn’t see food anywhere !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

The whole thing is ridiculous though. Pubs are been painted as the bad guys out there. Never have I seen an industry get so much **** thrown at it. Every other country opened their bars and restaurants without this time limit and restrictions. Why is Ireland so special

Yes, a lot of cities reopened their bars and clubs. Barcelona, Melbourne, Hong Kong, and Miami to name a few completely at random.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Sorry but most of these “restaurants” in Cork aren’t operating as such. Secret Garden was operating last night like it was Monday Club or something didn’t see food anywhere !

And they should be penalised insofar as the present legislation/orders/regulations permit.

There's nothing ridiculous about it.... As restrictions have eased cases have risen. The likes of yourself in a pub for 5 hours is what's ridiculous TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Augeo wrote: »
    There's nothing ridiculous about it.... As restrictions have eased cases have risen. The likes of yourself in a pub for 5 hours is what's ridiculous TBH.

Every pub outside of the city centre is like that.

• Advertisement

Well Michael of Donovan of the Castle Inn and Chair of the VFI in Cork was on Prendeville there. He said there was a rule change on July 5th that any pub could allow people past the 105 min limit provided they bought food earlier and kept to the 2m distance between tables.

Its the first I heard of it but if thats what he is informing his members of, there isn't any rule been broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Agree with this. Secret garden is an absolute disgrace. I don't know how many Instagram stories I've seen of people in there all over each other, DJ playing until the small hours. Nightclub with chairs.

Well Michael of Donovan of the Castle Inn and Chair of the VFI in Cork was on Prendeville there. He said there was a rule change on July 5th that any pub could allow people past the 105 min limit provided they bought food earlier and kept to the 2m distance between tables.

........... except that some folk weren't buying any food .
    wally1990 wrote: »
    4 of the wife's friends went to the brog(voodoo upstairs) and there was absolutely no food order taken and no time limit enforced last night

They were in Clancys before that having their food and moved on after the time limit to the brog and they said nothing at all was enforced
    ........... there isn't any rule been broken.
    That's presuming what you post is correct and I'm not so sure it is ...... ......... no mention of it here

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/public_health_measures_for_covid19.html

Pubs: Pubs (serving food) can reopen from 29 June and should follow Fáilte Ireland’s operational guidelines for re-opening pubs (pdf). Measure include:

Seating time will be 105 minutes with an extra 15 minutes between bookings for cleaning (2 hours in total).
    Contact information of a lead guest should be collected for the purposes of contract tracing.
    1 metre physical distancing can be implemented where 2 metre physical distancing is not possible. However, businesses will have to implement extra measures, including additional signage to ask customers not to enter if they have symptoms.
    Procedures to manage restroom usage, entry points, function rooms, smoking areas, kitchen cleaning and disinfection and deliveries.

I suspect that Michael O Donovan of THe Castle Inn is talking out his arse!

From my experience of a private outdoor event with about 100 people, social distancing and alcohol are incompatible. People who you'd expect to know better were up close and personal with other people, hugging and shaking hands after a few drinks - one of these people was a microbiologist, ffs! Not young people, not foreigners, not any group that people like to point fingers at - normal, educated, middle aged people who can't maintain social distancing after a few drinks. While I enjoyed this event, I wouldn't go to something like that again.

I came away from that completely sure that reopening the pubs is not possible to do safely.

I'm absolutely gagging for the pubs to open - I miss my local bars terribly - but I don't think it's going to happen.

I came away from that completely sure that reopening the pubs is not possible to do safely.

I'm absolutely gagging for the pubs to open - I miss my local bars terribly - but I don't think it's going to happen.

Indeed, once a few drinks are consumed social distancing etc will be a huge challenge for folk to maintain.

And publicians/vintners want folk to be able to drink at the bar, table seating and table service only is crucial to have any hope of disaster avoidance.

I'm heading to a wedding in a few days and am interested to see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭septictank

Indeed, once a few drinks are consumed social distancing etc will be a huge challenge for folk to maintain.

And publicians/vintners want folk to be able to drink at the bar, table seating and table service only is crucial to have any hope of disaster avoidance.

I'm heading to a wedding in a few days and am interested to see how it pans out.

Was at 1 over the weekend, small do about 50.
    The hotel had us well scattered out between tables for the meal, 4/5 to a table, once the meal was over, mixing started and by 9pm there were 2 tables, the rest dancing.
    Most there knew each other as the couple had been going out for ages. No masks, all hugs and kisses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

For someone who doesn't know Cork at all, is there any of those pubs that you'd recommend for food? Just good honest pub grub.

septictank wrote: »
    Was at 1 over the weekend, small do about 50.
    The hotel had us well scattered out between tables for the meal, 4/5 to a table, once the meal was over, mixing started and by 9pm there were 2 tables, the rest dancing.
    Most there knew each other as the couple had been going out for ages. No masks, all hugs and kisses.

Mmmm, as I expect really, meal sounds ok ish ........ from 9pm sounds a disaster really.

Mmmm, as I expect really, meal sounds ok ish ........ from 9pm sounds a disaster really.

Looking back I feel a bit guilty as am a mask wearer when others didn't.

It was all of the 2 families, mostly over 40's, so most knew each other and what they worked at etc.

1 of the tables had 4 brothers and 3 sisters + partners who all live around each other any way. Not your average wedding.

Hay, where would you recommend as a nice place a few young girls would eat or drink later, never been to Cork before, they will only be there a few days SOON!!

Where to go mid week, with a bit of life.

Should have asked, maybe 1 or 2 to stay away from, I know it's hard to say, Price wise or bad rep.

Hay, where would you recommend as a nice place a few young girls would eat or drink later, never been to Cork before, they will only be there a few days SOON!!

Should have asked, maybe 1 or 2 to stay away from, I know it's hard to say, Price wise or bad rep.

While I wouldn't recommend the food, Luigi Malones seems to be very popular with the younger folk, probably for the jugs of cocktails!

Son of A Bun and CoqBull are also very popular with the younger people.

• Advertisement

If you want pub grub, Gallagher's would be my choice. Food is good in Dwyer's and Clancy's too

Market Lane would be my choice for food and they've a decent drinks menu iirc.

While I wouldn't recommend the food, Luigi Malones seems to be very popular with the younger folk, probably for the jugs of cocktails!

Son of A Bun and CoqBull are also very popular with the younger people.

Seen Son of a Bun on the map and thought it was a chipper, but no, that and Coqbull could be good mid day lunch spots, cheers.

Bunsen in Dublin used to be a haunt, I see there's one in Cork too but something new is nice.

Seen Son of a Bun on the map and thought it was a chipper, but no, that and Coqbull could be good mid day lunch spots, cheers.

Bunsen in Dublin used to be a haunt, I see there's one in Cork too but something new is nice.

For my money, none come close to Bunsen but the ones I mentioned are popular, none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Slightly off topic but heading out Sunday evening for food and drink but hoping to catch the united game at 8pm,has anyone been out for sports post lockdown and can recommend a venue for same with decent screen etc. Was kinda thinking of clancy's or rising sons at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but heading out Sunday evening for food and drink but hoping to catch the united game at 8pm,has anyone been out for sports post lockdown and can recommend a venue for same with decent screen etc. Was kinda thinking of clancy's or rising sons at the moment

If you want to stay out longer than 90mins then don't go to Clancy's. I've been to a fair amount of pubs in the city and Clancy's appears to be one of few that are operating more of a restaurant than a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Can anyone recommend where one could go after having an early lunch so would be talking around 4pm, where u could order something very light food wise to be served Alcohol? Don’t really want to go home at 4pm.

Anyone know what the story is with the bodega? I passed by one day and there wasn’t food on any of the tables outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Cotts72 wrote: »

Booked a table opposite the bar in Dwyers for a United game about a month ago (Big screen behind the bar so had a perfect view)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Cotts72

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Booked a table opposite the bar in Dwyers for a United game about a month ago (Big screen behind the bar so had a perfect view)

Ended up booking the rising sons, was always a decent spot for a game previous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The Oval and Goldbergs opening soon

Advertisement