Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Buying] Apartment in Limerick

Options
  • 18-07-2020 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

Considering buying an apartment in Limerick, looking to get a mortgage as a single applicant and exploring my options, would anyone have any advice on what areas or apartment blocks to avoid in my search? What can i expect management fees to be like?

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

zemerin wrote: »
    Hi all,

Considering buying an apartment in Limerick, looking to get a mortgage as a single applicant and exploring my options, would anyone have any advice on what areas or apartment blocks to avoid in my search? What can i expect management fees to be like?

Thanks a million

The only ones I'd probably avoid are those on the dock road as it seems to have density of apartments there.

Management fee can generally range anything from 800 to 1600 .

Make sure there is a good professional management company in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Dock Road, Mount Kennett Place and the development on Upper William St/lower Mulgrave At are all areas I'd avoid purchasing personally.

Poor locations, old apartment stock and quite close to becoming ghettoised at this stage unfortunately.

Niallers is right regarding management fees and in particular the management company.

If you are looking at 2 bed apartments, you may do well considering expanding your search to include houses too.
    What's the draw to an apartment in the city centre?
    Versus a 2 bed terrace in the same area? Or something further out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

zemerin wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks a million

budget amount ?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Are you working in the city centre, or outside the city centre?

Limerick public transport can be dire at times, so best bit of advice would be to buy in an area you like but that also makes your commute easier. Similarly if access to the M7 or the tunnel is important then that could open up more areas of interest.

No point buying somewhere if it means a toll each way to work or two buses with a long layover in a Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 zemerin

banie01 wrote: »
    Dock Road, Mount Kennett Place and the development on Upper William St/lower Mulgrave At are all areas I'd avoid purchasing personally.

Poor locations, old apartment stock and quite close to becoming ghettoised at this stage unfortunately.

Niallers is right regarding management fees and in particular the management company.

If you are looking at 2 bed apartments, you may do well considering expanding your search to include houses too.
    What's the draw to an apartment in the city centre?
    Versus a 2 bed terrace in the same area? Or something further out?

Would that be why alot of those locations are going in cheap on daft right now? Was looking at houses around as well but didn't see anything in budget at the minute and wanted to be close to town. I have the ability to work from home now going forward post-pandemic which is why I'm considering Limerick and have always been drawn to city life but Dublin is just out of the question. So ideally would like something relatively close if that makes sense.

Budget is 120k single applicant. Dunno if I'm being enthusiastic or not but figured I'd ask

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Limerick is a beautiful place.. Don't listen to any clowns who says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

you might be better buy a cottage around the likes of rosbrien , old houses there for that kind of money

Advertisement