Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living Part time in France - A2 License

Options
  • 19-07-2020 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I moved to France in 2010 but have been coming back and forth since then a good bit. These days, I am mostly in France, however. I never got around to exchanging my Irish license for a French one.

I am really keen on getting my A2 license. They have intensive courses here in France at dedicated schools where you take a full time 7-day course that covers the theory and practice. You then sit the exam at the end and walk away with your license - ideally.

However, the rub is that I need to have a French car license to do this as you can't hold two licenses. Exchanging your license in France is a SLOW process and you have to hand in your license to do it. You get back a document that is valid for a year and entitles you to drive in France - but this won't be recognised outside of France and would mean I couldn't hire a car abroad or drive in Ireland. With Brexit I believe there is a big influx of exchange applications from Brits living here whose licenses may not be valid after the transition period - so the exchange might be even slower than normal.

I guess the alternative is I sit my test in Ireland, in which case I suppose I would need to take lessons there too to prepare me for the specifics of the Irish test. The difficult thing I guess is that I would have no idea when the test would be. Can anyone give me an indication of what the test waiting times are at the moment in Dublin/Wicklow?

I guess there are other things, like sitting the theory test? So I guess that could be two trips to Ireland. One to sit the theory test and get lessons. And a second to get some refresher lessons and take the test? If I go with a good driving school - I should have a 90% chance that this works, right?

I would be grateful for your thoughts!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Not sure what the waiting times are, however you must wait 6 months between when you get your learner permit/ibt and do your test.

Seems like no matter which way you do it, it will take some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Also do your A test rather than A2, as you will need to do the test again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks @colm_c - I didn't think about the learner permit and the 6 month interval - looks like I'm better off trying to do it here...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

di11on wrote: »
    Thanks @colm_c - I didn't think about the learner permit and the 6 month interval - looks like I'm better off trying to do it here...

IIRC the 6 months only applies to your first licence and when you got it. Check with the RSA to see if you need to wait 6 months.

The list here is going to be long regardless as they have a 4 month backlog to clear along with the normal tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

di11on wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I moved to France in 2010 but have been coming back and forth since then a good bit. These days, I am mostly in France, however. I never got around to exchanging my Irish license for a French one.

I am really keen on getting my A2 license. They have intensive courses here in France at dedicated schools where you take a full time 7-day course that covers the theory and practice. You then sit the exam at the end and walk away with your license - ideally.

However, the rub is that I need to have a French car license to do this as you can't hold two licenses. Exchanging your license in France is a SLOW process and you have to hand in your license to do it. You get back a document that is valid for a year and entitles you to drive in France - but this won't be recognised outside of France and would mean I couldn't hire a car abroad or drive in Ireland. With Brexit I believe there is a big influx of exchange applications from Brits living here whose licenses may not be valid after the transition period - so the exchange might be even slower than normal.

I guess the alternative is I sit my test in Ireland, in which case I suppose I would need to take lessons there too to prepare me for the specifics of the Irish test. The difficult thing I guess is that I would have no idea when the test would be. Can anyone give me an indication of what the test waiting times are at the moment in Dublin/Wicklow?

I guess there are other things, like sitting the theory test? So I guess that could be two trips to Ireland. One to sit the theory test and get lessons. And a second to get some refresher lessons and take the test? If I go with a good driving school - I should have a 90% chance that this works, right?

I would be grateful for your thoughts!

Thanks in advance

Hold on: you need a car licence in order to hold a bike licence??? That can't be right...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

galwaytt wrote: »
    Hold on: you need a car licence in order to hold a bike licence??? That can't be right...

No, you're only supposed to have one "driving licence" with different categories of vehicles you are permitted to drive or ride.

In order to add a category when resident in a member state other than that of issue of the licence, an exchange needs to be made. A test is taken in the country of residence - OP is from all accounts resident in France and should take a test in France. OP is also probably in France long enough that Irish licence has expired/close to expiry and is required to be exchanged anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

macplaxton wrote: »
    No, you're only supposed to have one "driving licence" with different categories of vehicles you are permitted to drive or ride.

In order to add a category when resident in a member state other than that of issue of the licence, an exchange needs to be made. A test is taken in the country of residence - OP is from all accounts resident in France and should take a test in France. OP is also probably in France long enough that Irish licence has expired/close to expiry and is required to be exchanged anyway.

Pretty much on the mark :-)

Actually, if you're part time living in France, then you must be domiciled in Ireland - yes ? In which case you'll have to get an Irish bike licence.

The only time you need to surrender your licence is if you spend most of your time in France - that is, become domiciled there.............in which case you'll a French licence anyway.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

galwaytt wrote: »
    Actually, if you're part time living in France

There's part-time and there's part-time. ;) The OP will know the answer to that.

The question comes round to "can you wing it?". Probably, possibly, maybe. Is it worth doing? Well the backwards and forwards would be a bit of hassle on its own. You'd be out of pocket if the RSA cancelled the test - you wouldn't want to use the argument "but I've come a long way" so to speak.

I can see the attraction of whizzing past French speed cameras whilst living there hanging onto an Irish Licence. However anything big happening and it might all unravel rather expensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's part-time and there's part-time. ;) The OP will know the answer to that.

The question comes round to "can you wing it?". Probably, possibly, maybe. Is it worth doing? Well the backwards and forwards would be a bit of hassle on its own. You'd be out of pocket if the RSA cancelled the test - you wouldn't want to use the argument "but I've come a long way" so to speak.

I can see the attraction of whizzing past French speed cameras whilst living there hanging onto an Irish Licence. However anything big happening and it might all unravel rather expensively.

You can keep your EU licence if you move to another EU country till it expires if you move country. The OP needs to determine where they live, what counties tax they pay is usually their country of residence, and then figure out what licence they need, either renew their Irish one or convert to French.

Most French cameras are forward facing so it doesn't matter what licence you have on a bike.

• Advertisement

... you wouldn't want to use the argument "but I've come a long way" so to speak..

...indeed: and I wouldn't enlighten them about that far away either: technically speaking if your not resident here you're not allowed hold an Irish licence anyway....

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement