Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo collections?

Options
  • 19-07-2020 10:06am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I wonder what people's collections of Nintendo hardware and games look like?
    I can't be the only fan who has a few bits about the place, at this stage.
    And what is your favourite game or hardware, what is the most precious?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here's my bits and pieces,
    Gameboy
    Gameboy Pocket
    Gameboy Lite
    Gameboy Color
    GBA
    GBA:SP
    GBA:SP ags101
    GB Micro
    DS
    DS Lite
    DSi
    DSi XL
    3DS
    3DS XL
    2DS
    N2DS
    N3DS

Color TV Game Block Kuzushi
    Famicom
    Famicom Twin
    NES
    SNES
    N64
    Virtual Boy
    GC+GC Player
    Wii
    WiiU
    Switch

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hatch8harry

Christ that's impressive!

I've been a Nintendo fan since I got a NES with TMNT and Super Mario Bros for Xmas in 1990. I've had all Nintendo consoles/handhelds (except Wii U) since, mainly just the one iteration per system. I still have them all but they're in varying degrees of condition. Only managed to keep hold of a handful of NES games (does include a boxed Super Mario 3 though). Similar story with my SNES games, but my N64 game collection is in great nick, got about 10 games boxed with instruction manuals, all in excellent condition considering the cardboard packaging was fairly flimsy at the time. I dont own any particular rare game as I generally just bought the big first party games for each system. If I could somehow talk to my younger self!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Mine is purely functional really, so I've gotten rid of a number of consoles over the years (NES, SNES, N64, GC, GB and original GBA, 3DS).

Currently own:
    Wii (as it plays GC as well it's the ideal keeper)
    Wii U
    GBA SP
    2DS (my 3DS broke so I just got the easier to find option)
    NES Mini
    SNES Mini

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Mine is purely functional really, so I've gotten rid of a number of consoles over the years (NES, SNES, N64, GC, GB and original GBA, 3DS).

Currently own:
    Wii (as it plays GC as well it's the ideal keeper)
    Wii U
    GBA SP
    2DS (my 3DS broke so I just got the easier to find option)
    NES Mini
    SNES Mini

The Wii really is an essential part of anyone's Nintendo collection, given its versatility in playing so much content.
    It cuts the mustard, as you say, in playing GC and Wii titles, but with the application of a simple software modification, it can play almost anything up to that point, either as a side-loaded into the Virtual Console or as a emulator.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm not really a collector when it comes to hardware, so my current selection is:

Switch
    Wii
    DS

I have previously owned a GC, N64, SNES and Gameboy, but largely ended up selling or giving away the older hardware as newer platforms took over. I still have a handful of my GC games playable on the Wii, and another handful of older games on Virtual console or emulators.

It'd be nice to fully virtualise my Wii via NAND dump and disc dumps, but not sure if that's feasible yet. (It stil gets daily use as myself and the OH both ended up building Wii Fit Plus into our daily routines).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

N64
    Gamecube
    Wii
    Wii U
    Switch

DS lite
    New 3DS

SNES mini

I'm considering starting a collection. Currently watching a boxed super famicom on ebay for €100. Was also looking at a Satellavision last night (god knows why??).
    Was also looking at the super famicom mini. There's one on adverts nearby but not sure on price.

These are all to collect coz I know I won't have the time to play anything but a few levels of super Mario world once September comes (new baby) so I'd be effectively buying them to store in the attic in the hope they'd either go up in value in a few years, or I'd get time to stick them into an arcade cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Wii really is an essential part of anyone's Nintendo collection, given its versatility in playing so much content.
    It cuts the mustard, as you say, in playing GC and Wii titles, but with the application of a simple software modification, it can play almost anything up to that point, either as a side-loaded into the Virtual Console or as a emulator.

I ended up just modding the NES and SNES to fill out the two libraries out (even though bricking them would more expensive than bricking some second hand Wii).

Most N64 games I wanted were on the virtual console anyway so was happy enough with that (and I was lucky to have bought the expensive GC games early on in the consoles run and am now just picking up any cheap curiosities left off CEX or eBay like Lord of the Rings or Enter the Matrix).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Off the top of my head:

Famicom (AV modded)
    Super Famicom (Region modded)
    Fully Boxed NES
    Snes (50/60hz and Region modded)
    Gamecube PAL
    Gamecube NTSC (region switch mod)
    Jap N64 (Region modded. RGB out mod)
    Jap n64 DD
    Wii X4 (softmodded)
    WiiU
    Switch

Gameboy DMG Grey
    Gameboy DMG Black (chiptune modded)
    Gameboy Pocket Red
    Gameboy Color
    GBA
    GBA SP
    GBA SP AGS101
    DS X 5
    3DS
    New 3DS

Probably about 500-600 games at a guess across all Nintendo systems? hard to know really as they're all stored away at the mo.

Very jealous of the 64DD...
    Also, I still haven't forgiven myself for missing the top loader NES and the Super Famicom Jr. I missed in the A&R Marketplace!
    Might have to pick them up, from the much more expensive eBay and Amazon!
    But, do I really need another way to play Famicom games??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Famicom AV Modded
    Famicom RGB Modded
    NES 101 (Soon to be modded with Nintendo Multi out, RGB and power LED)
    PAL NES
    Gameboy Biverted
    5 Super Famicoms, 1 mint, the rest in assorted restoration states
    US SNES, yellowed but beloved
    US Nintendo 64 RGB Modded
    2 Switched Japanese GCs, one in mid repair
    GBA SP in Blue
    DS Phat
    DS Lite
    US 3DS
    US Wii
    PAL Wii U
    Nintendo Switch

Other stuff:

Analogue SuperNT, SD2SNES, Everdrive N8 Pro, Everdrive 64.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Wii
    DS
    2DS XL
    Switch

Had a Wii U up to a year ago when it broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Collection has naturally built up from owning the systems when they were current.

Have a NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, DS and 3DS. Only thing I'm really missing along the way was a GBA.

Due to being a complete idiot as a child, I only have the boxes for 2 NES games and 0 Gameboy games but everything afterwards has boxes and instructions with 95% of the games.

Well over 200 games across the lot with Switch and Wii probably having most.

Nothing really stands out as being massively rare in the collection though.

Prized possessions of mine has to be my original Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid, as well as the Famicom Twin.
    I think my favourite time with a Nintendo was playing through Super Metroid and Super Mario World, just incredible games.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Very jealous of the 64DD...
    Also, I still haven't forgiven myself for missing the top loader NES and the Super Famicom Jr. I missed in the A&R Marketplace!
    Might have to pick them up, from the much more expensive eBay and Amazon!
    But, do I really need another way to play Famicom games??

Yeah I'd have been all over those if I'd seen them first, snooze you lose and all that! :D

I really do want a solution to get RGB out of a NES or Famicom. It's the only console I currently can't play on my big 20 inch BVM as composite on it is 50hz only.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah I'd have been all over those if I'd seen them first, snooze you lose and all that! :D

I really do want a solution to get RGB out of a NES or Famicom. It's the only console I currently can't play on my big 20 inch BVM as composite on it is 50hz only.

That's mad, I get composite from my Famicom to the little 9" bvm and it's as clear as crystal

Master of the Universe

Yeah it's mad, it's a pretty old BVM monitor with expansion ports on the back which hold different video boards. Stock, the PAL model only came with a PAL composite board, no NTSC composite board. Imagine paying 10,000 of your finest Irish punts circa 1990 for one and not being able to display NTSC :D

Came with an RGB board too though so everything else displays on it grand, just the damn Famicom that I'm still stuck with composite only!

Ive a few other CRTs which do NTSC composite, so not all is lost, just annoying not being able to pop it up on my big monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Was also looking at the super famicom mini. There's one on adverts nearby but not sure on price.

I've one listed on Adverts (possibly mine you're talking about?) & I've priced it just under the "sold items" average price of them on eBay. Surprised it hasn't sold tbh, given its practically brand new.

As for my own collection, I've sold off chunks of it over the years...it spent the vast majority of its time packed away in storage....with no hope in sight of ever emerging to be played :( Funnily enough, the Nintendo consoles are the ones I've kept, and have put on display.

NES (US NTSC Version)
    Super NES
    N64 (US NTSC Version)
    GameCube
    Wii
    Wii U

GameBoy
    GameBoy Colour
    GameBoy Advance
    GameBoy Advance SP
    DS
    DSi XL

The problem now is I am aware of gaps in my collection and now, am compelled, to go out and buy more Nintendo hardware...
    Feck...

The NES Toploader

NES-101-Console-Set_grande.jpg

or

The Famicom equivalent?

300px-Nintendo-AV-Famicom-Console-FL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

What even is that? Is it a Japanese NES or what? Or is it the equivalent of the MegaDrive II?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I have over the years:
    Snoopy Tennis game & Watch
    Tetris, Zelda game watches.
    NES Action pack
    SNES
    N64
    GameCube
    Wii
    Wii U
    Switch
    GBA later sold to get SP
    DS Lite
    3DS black Zelda edition
    New 3DS XL Majora edition
    Mini NES
    Mini SNES

• Advertisement

The_B_Man wrote: »
    What even is that? Is it a Japanese NES or what? Or is it the equivalent of the MegaDrive II?

They are the redesigned Famicom and NES, released following the launch of the Super Famicom/ Super Nintendo.
    They even came with a nifty controller too.
    And now I want them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The Japanese version's got a multi out, the US version is RF only, so it you want to RGB mod the latter, you'll need to either butcher the case to add a new port, or use something like this: https://store.retrofixes.com/collections/upgrade-diy-kits/products/nes-toploader-custom-multiport

I'm currently waiting on that part to come back into stock...

I might splurge on the Japanese version, though I'm awaiting the Analogue Pocket preorder to open and might be cleared out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Currently:

Switch 2nd Gen

SNES Mini
    N64x2
    Gamecube

DSi
    DS Lite
    Game Boy Advance
    Game Boy Advance SP
    Game Boy Color
    Game Boy Pocket
    Game Boy DMG

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My humble collection:

SNES (Region modded)
    Gamecube
    Wii
    Wii U
    Switch
    SNES Mini

Gameboy Micro
    DS Lite
    New 3DS

Must see if I can dig out the N64, which is possibly somewhere in the attic in the parents house...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭narmst

Where to start ..

NES
    SNES
    Virtual Boy (100% working)
    N64 pokemon Ed
    N64 black with multi game cart
    GameCube purple
    GameCube shop display
    Wii white
    Wii Black (mod with games)
    Wii US
    Wii Red 25th Mario edition with full DKong
    WiiU Black
    WiiU zelda edition
    Switch Animal crossing
    Switch lite blue
    Switch lite pokemon edition BNIB

Gameboy
    Gameboy pocket
    Gameboy color blue
    Gameboy Advance purple 2
    Gameboy Advance Black New
    Gameboy SP gold zelda
    Gameboy AGS-101 with transparent case
    Gameboy micro famicon edition
    Gameboy micro pink
    Gameboy micro blue
    DS original silver
    DS original red Mario kart edition
    DS lite x1 lite blue x1 pink
    DSi x 2 white x1 black x1 dark Blue
    DS XL Mario 25th edition
    3DS 2xAqua (ambassador)
    3DS black zelda edition
    3DS Xl monster Hunter edition
    3DS Xl Animal crossing edition
    New 3DS Xl Samus edition BNIB
    New 3DS Xl Samus edition modded with all games
    New 3DS Xl Gold Hyrule Edition
    New 3DS white Ambassador early release edition
    2DS red white
    2DS xl blue

NES mini /SNES mini / plush / telephone / controllers.

First for figures Bowser, Luigi's mansion, majora’s mask, samus, Kirby.

Similar collection of Gameboy > DS > 3DS titles.
    Similar collection of GameCube > Switch titles. Plenty of special editions etc.

Haven’t really got a lot of NES and SNES or Game & Watch as you have to stop somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭narmst

... and amiibo

Master of the Universe

Loving that Gamecube kiosk!

Advertisement