Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadcasting from home

• 19-07-2020 1:31pm

I heard an advert this morning for the Sunday Indo,which said it had an interview with Pat Kenny,and he telling why he is still happy to broadcast from home..I wonder how many are still doing it...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

a presenter's twitter account will give you a good idea.
    Lots of presenters on the Dublin stations are.
    John Kelly on Lyric FM still is??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

I know some of the Nova presenters are still at home, Lucy, Marty & Dee, Q102 the same I heard Martin King today & Aidan Cooney during the week all coming from home.

I know some of the Nova presenters are still at home, Lucy, Marty & Dee, Q102 the same I heard Martin King today & Aidan Cooney during the week all coming from home.

I remember at the start hearing Brian Dobson from home,and thinking his microphone doesnt sound so good..I wonder do they have to get their own equipment,or would the station have to provide broadcast standard equipment.Handy though..You wouldnt have to dress to go to work..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It doesn't take a lot. A half decent mic, sound card a mixer, and a good laptop is the guts of what you need, along with a streaming software to allow you to get the audio out and a good broadband or ISDN connection. A DJ playout software negates needing a mixer though your sound card set up would need to be a little more capable to deal with a mic in and audio out.

By and large the mic set up will be the downside here. Broadcast standard ribbon or condenser mics cost a lot of money and are not available readily available in the likes of DJ Box (Hi Mark ;) ) while home studios won't have mic processing kits to hand as a rule. Oh and professional soundproofed studios cost a fortune as well.

I know that many stations can play ads and tracks from home without needing them to be even stored locally on their computer, with a view to lessen the need for live shows on site. Certainly I know of at least one FM 104 DJ who's done some of their shows from home for over a decade now.

It doesn't take a lot. A half decent mic, sound card a mixer, and a good laptop is the guts of what you need, along with a streaming software to allow you to get the audio out and a good broadband or ISDN connection. A DJ playout software negates needing a mixer though your sound card set up would need to be a little more capable to deal with a mic in and audio out.

By and large the mic set up will be the downside here. Broadcast standard ribbon or condenser mics cost a lot of money and are not available readily available in the likes of DJ Box (Hi Mark ;) ) while home studios won't have mic processing kits to hand as a rule. Oh and professional soundproofed studios cost a fortune as well.

I know that many stations can play ads and tracks from home without needing them to be even stored locally on their computer, with a view to lessen the need for live shows on site. Certainly I know of at least one FM 104 DJ who's done some of their shows from home for over a decade now.

At the start of all this I watched a Radio Nova video on youtube..The different presenters at home..I thought the microphone Dee was using looked like a Rode procaster...Just a guess..Its interesting to see what is used.

• Advertisement

I remember at the start hearing Brian Dobson from home,and thinking his microphone doesnt sound so good..I wonder do they have to get their own equipment,or would the station have to provide broadcast standard equipment.Handy though..You wouldnt have to dress to go to work..
    This is all the equipment he seems to use, apart from a laptop.

https://twitter.com/BryanMIreland/status/1254837443783798784?s=19

Thanks for that...

Dobson is back in RTE now, as you can see him there on RTE News Now on TV.
    Gavin Jennings is likely to be still at home, unless he is in another RTE studio for Morning Ireland.

Ian Dempsey was broadcasting from home, not sure if he still is..

Keith walsh and Michael Cahill on RTE Gold were / are at home also.

Also Ciara King on 2FM

So was Tom Dunne and Ciara Kelly Newstalk

Dobson is back in RTE now, as you can see him there on RTE News Now on TV.
    Gavin Jennings is likely to be still at home, unless he is in another RTE studio for Morning Ireland.

Ian Dempsey was broadcasting from home, not sure if he still is..

Keith walsh and Michael Cahill on RTE Gold were / are at home also.

Also Ciara King on 2FM

So was Tom Dunne and Ciara Kelly Newstalk

I was listening to Ciara Kelly at the start of the virus being in the country,saying she was broadcasting from her hotpress...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

€3k for that bit of kit. Most stations would have one for doing OB's or sports reporting.

Voice only down the phone line.

The poor mans version is the TieLine app on the phone connected by lightning to usb receiver to a USB mice like the the Rode NT-USB. A lot of stations use that and at the start of lockdown they sold out. When they came back, they were €40 more expensive. Great mics!!!!

Music presenters can control music through Zetta2Go or Any Desk depending on the playout system that stations use.

• Advertisement

The 2 daytime presenters Niall Carroll and Liz Nolan on Lyric FM seem to be doing their shows from home.

These shows were already voicetracked (not live) during 'normal' times I think.

Ruth Scott covering on Nova earlier today broadcasting from home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Ray Foley has been broadcasting the Red FM (Cork) breakfast show from his home in Dublin for quite a few months now

The various community and voluntary online radio stations have been broadcasting from home for years.

You wouldn't know it based on the sound quality.

My understanding is that this thread is about the topic of presenters broadcasting from home since mid March??

Lucy Kennedy was/is broadcasting from home because of covid 19..Like a lot of others..The Tipp FM breakfast show was a hime broadcast..I think the presenter is back in the studio now..Some of the news readers also broadcast from home..I am sure most stations had thevsame setup..

Ruth Scott covering on Nova earlier today broadcasting from home

I had a look at her twitter page..She had a pic of an SE Electronics microphone,and SE acoustic screen..She was in her attic...Ok..I am now a stalker 😅😅

My understanding is that this thread is about the topic of presenters broadcasting from home since mid March??

Yes, but I mean it's surprising it took Broadcast till now to work from home when Online and Internet have been doing it for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Yes, but I mean it's surprising it took Broadcast till now to work from home when Online and Internet have been doing it for years.

Online and internet do not have the same requirements are mainstream commercial radio. This is no comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I’ve been broadcasting and doing commercial production duties from home myself for months now.

My setup is: a decent spec PC (with SSD storage not HDD for quietness) running 2 screens, a Microsoft surface tablet with remote control software for the studio desk in the station (so I don’t need anyone to do desk op for me), an old Gemini PS-626 mixer (upgrading this soon) with a couple of ground loop isolators, a Comrex Access portable device for sending audio from that mixer back to the studio, a sennheiser e825s cardioid mic with telescopic arm and pop shield, an amazon echo dot (for monitoring/listening back), a MacBook Air with a wireless midi keyboard (for ‘instruments’.. my ‘in-studio drum kit’ mainly), some pretty decent Presonus speakers, a headphone amplifier and Sennheiser headphones... all gear that was collected over the years (the comrex and the MS tablet belong to the station) ... and all currently neatly set up in the spare room in my in-laws’ house!

It was a novelty mentioning “coming from my home” initially but I don’t tend to do it any more as the vast majority of listeners genuinely don’t care... and why should they??

• Advertisement

Bard wrote: »

It was a novelty mentioning “coming from my home” initially but I don’t tend to do it any more as the vast majority of listeners genuinely don’t care... and why should they??
    Maybe it's the slight, but real, possibility of disaster. What if the fire alarm went off when Ciara Kelly was in the hot press? What if someone were relentlessly ringing Pat Kenny's doorbell, or if Claire Byrne's kids had invaded her shed? Excitement, that's what we want.

Bard wrote: »
    I’ve been broadcasting and doing commercial production duties from home myself for months now.

My setup is: a decent spec PC (with SSD storage not HDD for quietness) running 2 screens, a Microsoft surface tablet with remote control software for the studio desk in the station (so I don’t need anyone to do desk op for me), an old Gemini PS-626 mixer (upgrading this soon) with a couple of ground loop isolators, a Comrex Access portable device for sending audio from that mixer back to the studio, a sennheiser e825s cardioid mic with telescopic arm and pop shield, an amazon echo dot (for monitoring/listening back), a MacBook Air with a wireless midi keyboard (for ‘instruments’.. my ‘in-studio drum kit’ mainly), some pretty decent Presonus speakers, a headphone amplifier and Sennheiser headphones... all gear that was collected over the years (the comrex and the MS tablet belong to the station) ... and all currently neatly set up in the spare room in my in-laws’ house!

You are well set up there..Do you find it it harder to broadcast from home,as you wouldnt have the same atmosphere as the radio station studio?

You are well set up there..Do you find it it harder to broadcast from home,as you wouldnt have the same atmosphere as the radio station studio?

It was a little weird and slightly distracting at first .. but got past that pretty quickly. I don’t have kids mind you — that’d make a big difference I’m sure !

Maybe it's the slight, but real, possibility of disaster. What if the fire alarm went off when Ciara Kelly was in the hot press? What if someone were relentlessly ringing Pat Kenny's doorbell, or if Claire Byrne's kids had invaded her shed? Excitement, that's what we want.

Maybe... but I think the listeners half don't care if you're coming from home (as the tech is there for it to sound just as good anyway so unless you've a real good reason for them to know it, what's the point?... as my PD said to me - "keep the illusion alive that you're 'among' them!") and half kinda expect that you might be, under the current circumstances!... so relentlessly referring to it is a bit redundant.

I do occasionally refer to it indirectly but referring to it is now the exception rather than the norm (mentioned the other day that while I played my first song of the hour, I popped to the kitchen to grab a bottle of water and my mother-in-law asked 'how can you be here and on air at the same time???' .. had to explain about the delay as she was listening to me on the app...). ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Headset looks to be a Beyerdynamic
    https://www.thomann.de/ie/beyerdynamic_dt109m200h50b.htm
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Glensound still sell (was going to say 'make' but I wouldn't be surprised if its just NOS now) a barely changed version of that!

What used to be a core part of their business is now just under "More..." on their product list

https://www.glensound.co.uk/product-details/gs-gc5g/

Advertisement