Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad odour - soiled multiwick

• 19-07-2020 6:16pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We had a problem a few years back in the en suite with a bad odour coming from the toilet.

Got a plumber out to look at it and it turned out the multi-wick was soiled and needed replacing.

Now we have the same problem again and I'm thinking of doing it myself but I haven't replaced a multi-wick before and I'm wondering what's involved.

Supposing the multi-wick isn't the problem can I just put it back in place?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

This is what I'm looking at...

520453.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

Is no one going to tell me how to change a multi-wick. :(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

I’ve no idea but I’d look up YouTube amazing the things you can find on there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭jbv

It can be removed and put back very easy if nothing is wrong with it.
    Check for cracks or worn gaskets.
    Replace with a new one if needed.

screamer wrote: »
    I’ve no idea but I’d look up YouTube amazing the things you can find on there

I've searched YouTube and not found what I was looking for.
    Lots of stuff about fitting toilets but they all gloss over the bit about the multi-wick.
    That's why I posted here.
    jbv wrote: »
    It can be removed and put back very easy if nothing is wrong with it.
    Check for cracks or worn gaskets.
    Replace with a new one if needed.
    Thanks jbv - this is helpful.

Do I have to apply a fit of silicone when refitting or are they self-sealing?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Hermy wrote: »

Do I have to apply a fit of silicone when refitting or are they self-sealing?

Clean and dry the rubber gasket/ seals, also the (female) socket of the discharge pipe and (male) outlet on the wc pan first. Then rub a small bit of silicone pipe lubricant (Wavin pipe lubricant or similar) around the seals before refitting. When finished a few flushes with clean water should confirm a leak free connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Hermy wrote: »
    Is no one going to tell me how to change a multi-wick. :(

Pull it off the toilet and pull it up from below

Make sure the multiwick is sitting into a piece of 4inch pipe and not just sitting into a 4inch fitting.

Advertisement