Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aris's Walrus: The Reveal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

In 17th place, submitted by
    fixXxer
    , Death in Vegas-Aisha

This was a bit weirdly "loud" (almost chaotic) at times and under other circumstances it would have seriously flirted with the bottom 3. What pushed it up is Iggy Pop: I like this type of spoken word that he does. He did years ago in duets with Kate Pierson and Ofra Haza and the older he gets it suits him even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I very nearly went for Aisha too!
    It is an odd one but I love it. The Contino Sessions is a brilliant album

ShaneU wrote: »
    Look at you putting in the effort of googling band member's names. Hope people don't get too acquainted with that level of commitment :pac:

hehe, this is obviously a personal thing. I reckon I liked 80% of the songs that were submitted and I want to investigate many artists further so I am looking at guests vocalists, complete discographies, the whole thing.

If I find time in the future, I am considering going through older walruses to listen to more music.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    If I find time in the future, I am considering going through older walruses to listen to more music.
    It was short lived, but for a time there was a Walrus Playlist thread

(I have it bookmarked!)

In 5th place, submitted by
    Deleted User
    , Goldfrapp-Annabel

I like Goldfrapp and how their sound keeps changing, from trip-hop to synthpop to ambient to indie/folk-tronica. The whole Tales Of Us album showcases the vocal range of Alison, she sounds absolutely amazing and Will Gregory’s lush string arrangements give a cinematic atmosphere to the record. A great song from a great album.

• Advertisement

In 18th place, submitted by
    Necro
    , The Police-Roxanne

Nothing particularly wrong with this song, other than my general indifference to Police. The guitar riff is quite nice and if I could warm up to Sting’s voice a bit more this could make my playlist. Another song that got a bit unlucky with so many good songs in this category and pushed it down a few places.

Yay, after the last round I'm glad to be in the top half again. :) There's an official video for Annabel which is quite nice, very cinematic and moving. It goes on for three minutes before the music starts though, which is why I linked an audio only version when submitting my choices.

Quite like that Death in Vegas one, strange song but an interesting choice. Iggy Pop is someone I've been getting into more recently, having not paid enough attention to him before. Hopefully I'll get to see him live before he dies!

Also - I can't believe you didn't recognise Iris! It's been played so often on radio and TV shows. I've never seen the film it's from but know all the words off by heart just from being exposed to it so much! (It is actually quite a nice song, but being played to death did kind of spoil it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I very nearly went for Aisha too!
    It is an odd one but I love it. The Contino Sessions is a brilliant album

It really is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I knew this selection wouldn't do well after Round 1.

My fave drinking song though so no regrets!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In 18th place, submitted by
    Necro
    , The Police-Roxanne

Nothing particularly wrong with this song, other than my general indifference to Police. The guitar riff is quite nice and if I could warm up to Sting’s voice a bit more this could make my playlist. Another song that got a bit unlucky with so many good songs in this category and pushed it down a few places.
    Class tune :cool:

• Advertisement

In 4th place, submitted by
    Electric Nitwit
    , Holy ****-Lovely Allen

The best discovery of this category is from a band that I knew of but have never heard any of their music and now I wonder why. An excellent instrumental, where synthesizers, guitars and violins are combined perfectly in an energetic, fun way. The brief interlude at around 2:15 works very well and creates room to build the song back up all the way to the great outro soundscape.

The best discovery of this category is from a band that I knew of but have never heard any of their music and now I wonder why
    Whoo-hoo :D
    That's the biggest praise I could receive

They're an amazing band, especially live. They play anything as an instrument

That video is fan made, a recut of The Snowman and it just fits so well

I was getting nervous too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Necro wrote: »
    I knew this selection wouldn't do well after Round 1.

My fave drinking song though so no regrets!! :D

I absolutely love the Roxanne drinking game!

I also love this song because of its repeated use in one of the greatest episodes of Community.

Actually I nearly nominated this one myself... Still to be seen whether the song I did go for will perform better or not...

6 people left in this reveal - in alphabetical order as always:
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Gru
    JohnGreenFan
    lassykk
    Mustang Shelly
    osh

The bottom 3 here was the easier. Unfortunately these were the only 3 songs that I didn't particularly like and the were firmly in the last 3 places from the beginning :o

In 19th place, submitted by
    JohnGreenFan
    , Joe Dolan-Ciara

I have heard of the play The Night Joe Dolan’s Car Broke Down but never realised that Joe Dolan was an actual person. It probably makes sense as he passed away before I moved to Ireland and this isn’t the type of music that I would normally listen to. This was stuck in the last place for quite a while, but after a few listens I liked the orchestration of the song with the brass and percussion so I moved it up two spots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

In 4th place, submitted by
    Electric Nitwit
    , Holy ****-Lovely Allen

The best discovery of this category is from a band that I knew of but have never heard any of their music and now I wonder why. An excellent instrumental, where synthesizers, guitars and violins are combined perfectly in an energetic, fun way. The brief interlude at around 2:15 works very well and creates room to build the song back up all the way to the great outro soundscape.
    God I absolutely loved that!!! I can't wait for the top three if that was pushed back from the medal categories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

A wild Joe Dolan appears! :D

s1ippy wrote: »
    God I absolutely loved that!!!
    tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Gru

Gru
    JohnGreenFan
    lassykk
    Mustang Shelly
    osh

The bottom 3 here was the easier. Unfortunately these were the only 3 songs that I didn't particularly like and the were firmly in the last 3 places from the beginning :o

Why can you not put me out of my misery and in the middle numbers?!?!? :eek:

the stress!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,474 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Gru
    JohnGreenFan
    lassykk
    Mustang Shelly
    osh

Oh boy!

Whoo-hoo :D
    That's the biggest praise I could receive

They're an amazing band, especially live. They play anything as an instrument

That video is fan made, a recut of The Snowman and it just fits so well

I was getting nervous too!
    I loved seeing the snowman video, it always puts me in a Christmassy mood. Even in late July :)

I absolutely love the Roxanne drinking game!

I also love this song because of its repeated use in one of the greatest episodes of Community.

Actually I nearly nominated this one myself... Still to be seen whether the song I did go for will perform better or not...

an inspired decision indeed!!

In 3rd place, submitted by
    , Kate Bush-Babooshka

Kate Bush is someone that I admire and love in equal measures. I know that it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but for me she is an artist that through her eccentricities, she has written so many great songs. Babooshka is one of them, a song that tells a love story gone wrong. I normally wouldn’t be one to focus on lyrics, but Kate Bush tells so many interesting stories so I make an exception. A song that took a while to grow on me, but throughout the years is a Kate Bush song that I would always go back to when I want to listen to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

In 19th place, submitted by
    JohnGreenFan
    , Joe Dolan-Ciara

I have heard of the play The Night Joe Dolan’s Car Broke Down but never realised that Joe Dolan was an actual person. It probably makes sense as he passed away before I moved to Ireland and this isn’t the type of music that I would normally listen to. This was stuck in the last place for quite a while, but after a few listens I liked the orchestration of the song with the brass and percussion so I moved it up two spots.

Absolutely expected this to be last so pleasantly surprised it isn't :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

How is Babooshka a name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Gru

How is Babooshka a name?

i think its a name given to Russian grandmothers!?!?

I have heard of the play The Night Joe Dolan’s Car Broke Down but never realised that Joe Dolan was an actual person.

Sorry but this made me laugh! :D

Grandmothers up and down the country will tell you that "there's no show like a Joe show!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

F**k Yeah!

Been waiting for the perfect category and the right host to submit Babooshka for a Walrus. One of my all-time favourite songs.

giphy.gif

How is Babooshka a name?

I asked myself the same, so I googled the meaning of the song. Babooshka in this case is the female character of the song.

• Advertisement

How is Babooshka a name?

Listen to the song... Babooshka is the name she uses to sign the love letters!

giphy.gif

Advertisement