Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aris's Walrus: The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

I'm in an intense battle for the wooden spoon in this competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I have finished the rankings for the next category (although I haven't checked yet who submitted what and haven't updated the leaderboard), so I plan to do another reveal tomorrow evening at our usual time :)
    I presume the points scale with the number of different body parts mentioned in the song? ;)

Chest, genitals, arms... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Will have to catch-up the replay of tomorrow's reveal later on, but I'm sure you'll be giving me 1st place in my absence, so thanks in advance for that... :D

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Some songs i expected to pop up there but didn't like Lola, Rosalie, Rhiannon, Hey Joe, Whole Lotta Rosie etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I presume the points scale with the number of different body parts mentioned in the song? ;)

• Advertisement

Interestingly enough there was a big variety of body parts mentioned in the titles, the most popular appears in 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I win :D

The kneebone's connected to the.....something,
    The something's connected to the.....red thing,
    The red thing's connected to my wristwatch....

this thread has become very entertaining!!!!

• Advertisement

this thread has become very entertaining!!!!

But more importantly, educational.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ShaneU wrote: »
    Just thought of this one, an Irish classic!

That is an absolute classic. I had Songs for the Tempted on cassette years ago, but I happened across it in Tower or somewhere a couple of years ago and bought it. Still sounds great, some really good songs on it.

You submitted Jolene by Dolly Parton, didn't you? :D
    Can't believe no one did!

Can't believe no one did!

the funny thing is that though I'm not a fan of country I have a soft spot Dolly Parton and the song would have done well in this list.

the funny thing is that though I'm not a fan of country I have a soft spot Dolly Parton and the song would have done well in this list.
    I'm not a country fan and would never have liked Dolly really, but my wife dragged me to see her at Glastonbury and she was phenomenal! I've got a soft spot for Dolly now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,710 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In 2nd place, submitted by
    Mustang Shelly
    , Blondie-Maria

One of the best Blondie songs ever. And what a comeback after a 17-year break. Debbie Harry looks better than ever and her voice sounds so amazing, I don’t think I have ever heard her hitting these low notes so great before – at least as part of Blondie anyway. Another song that I haven’t listen to a lot lately, and plan to reintroduce in my playlist.

What a great tune, very underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 86,710 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No one picked Jack and Diane by John Mellencamp

Also Miley Cyrus does a decent version of Jolene (Dolly is her godmother)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Sorry I missed this but happy with my middle of the road placing.

Some tracks Ive never heard of, pmus ones I had forgotten about. Luca is a great, nostalgic track. Good vibes.

Stan does scream Necro right..... them so did Iris. Sorry big man.

I also had Laura by the Scissor Sisters as my second choice but went with Jacko. A great toe tapping hit, wonder if it would have placed higher.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    No one picked Jack and Diane by John Mellencamp

Also Miley Cyrus does a decent version of Jolene (Dolly is her godmother)
    The White Stripes do a good verion and all. And there is this slowed down version which weirdly works too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The White Stripes do a good verion and all. And there is this slowed down version which weirdly works too

Would you believe I heard the Whote Stripes version first before Dolly..... I inow right

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Sorry I missed this but happy with my middle of the road placing.

Some tracks Ive never heard of, pmus ones I had forgotten about. Luca is a great, nostalgic track. Good vibes.

Stan does scream Necro right..... them so did Iris. Sorry big man.

I also had Laura by the Scissor Sisters as my second choice but went with Jacko. A great toe tapping hit, wonder if it would have placed higher.

Ah, I love the Scissor Sisters, them and Hurts are my 2 most favourite bands of the last 15 years. Laura is a great song, I reckon it would have placed really high!! :)

In 17th place, submitted by
    fixXxer
    , Death in Vegas-Aisha

This was a bit weirdly "loud" (almost chaotic) at times and under other circumstances it would have seriously flirted with the bottom 3. What pushed it up is Iggy Pop: I like this type of spoken word that he does. He did years ago in duets with Kate Pierson and Ofra Haza and the older he gets it suits him even more.
    Iggy's radio show is on BBC6 music tonight at 7:00.

It is 50 years since he released Funhouse with the Stooges!

Iggy's radio show is on BBC6 music tonight at 7:00.

It is 50 years since he released Funhouse with the Stooges!

Cool, same time as my next reveal :D

We will do the Body of Evidence category tonight, another category that I expect some controversy. This was another very strong set of songs, so some of them ended up lower than what I have liked.

If anyone has opted for Sinead O'Connor, they would have won the category, one of my favourites of her:

this is one I have been listening to a lot lately:

This is another one from the past that stuck with me throughout the years although I don't listen to hard rock as much anymore:

And for the more adventurous, an EBM classic:

see you all in a bit :)

ok, all set, let's go!!

giphy.gif

In 11th place, submitted by
    the purple tin
    , Bar-Kays-Soul Finger

I have never heard this song or the band. This is proper funk. It reminded me of the Stax Records sound and then I read that they were part of the label, which makes sense. A great piece of soul funk, one that you can’t possibly not get up and dance to. I was actually a it disappointed that it finished so quickly, I would love for it to go on and on and on.

ok, all set, let's go!!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I have no idea what song I picked for this round

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I don't think my song will go down too well.

• Advertisement

I don't think my song will go down too well.

You and me both Shelly :D

Advertisement