Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aris's Walrus: The Reveal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Irish Aris wrote: »
    In 2nd place, submitted by
    Gru
    , Jay Z & Linkin Park-Numb/Encore

This is one of the most amazing collaborations ever. I went through a rock phase during the mid and late noughties and Linkin Park were one of the bands that listened to a lot – and was fortunate enough to see live. Collision Course is a great EP, it made me appreciate Jay Z as well (though not enough to search his discography in detail) and also Mike Shinoda (I think this EP has some of his best vocals, as he can also be a bit hit and miss). An excellent choice, another song that I haven’t heard in a while and will reintroduce in my playlist.

I miss Chester :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Sawduck wrote: »
    That's grand, i always wanted the Wooden Spoon

You can have it for this round :pac:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I miss Chester :(

Me too, I was really shocked when I heard the news of his passing. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Mike Shinoda (I think this EP has some of his best vocals, as he can also be a bit hit and miss)

The only other song I genuinely considered for this round aside from Shakira & Rihanna was Mike Shinoda & K.Flay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

In 1st place, submitted by
    phatkev
    , Nick Cave & Kylie Minogue-Where The Wild Roses Grow.

Where Sawduck got unlucky with his selection, phatkev hit the jackpot with his. Where The Wild Roses Grow is linked to an important personal moment in my life and it’s a song that I hold very close to my heart. A song that showcased that Kylie Minogue can actually sing (I saw her live years later and was very impressed by her voice) and one of the many great songs that Nick Cave wrote throughout his career.

Woohoo! This song popped into my head as soon as I read the category, glad I stuck with it:)

• Advertisement

beakerjoe increases his lead a bit but things are still very tight. Something tells me that I need to start thinking how to do the reveal for the final categoryas I expect a derby until the end.

Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7 Total Points
    beakerjoe 15 21 17 53
    s1ippy 16 19 10 45
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 14 20 11 45
    JP Liz V1 12 17 16 45
    phatkev 18 6 21 45
    Zaph 19 9 14 42
    Gru 17 5 20 42
    Necro 21 12 5 38
    fixXxer 4 18 15 37
    Homer J. Fong 20 10 6 36
    Osh 9 8 19 36
    Shane U 11 11 9 31
    the purple tin 10 2 18 30
    Kolido 5 15 8 28
    Green&Red 13 7 7 27
    Sawduck 7 16 1 24
    Electric Nitwit 8 3 12 23
    Mustang Shelly 6 4 13 23
    lassykk 1 14 4 19
    JohnGreenFan 2 13 3 18
    RasTa 3 1 2 6

And the youtube playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUaRXycpvvkGkW36pJ-ldQwETtkjHHG1l

I will continue with the reveal in the next few days.
    Kolido starts his greatest 80s movie star tomorrow - his competitions are always both well organised and fun so I urge you all to follow the action here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058099375 and vote for your favourite 80s actors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Well that top three was practically perfect, well played guys :D

...just missing Crystal Castles and Robert Smith ;)

Edit: I presume someone picked David Bowie and Queen, that's the definitive answer here isn't it?
    :p

The only other song I genuinely considered for this round aside from Shakira & Rihanna was Mike Shinoda & K.Flay...

nice song too.
    You probably are already aware, if not, you may want to give a listen to Shinoda's other side project, Fort Minor. Some great songs there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

In 20th place, submitted by
    RasTa
    , Run The Jewels feat. Greg Nice & DJ Premier-Ooh La La

I disliked this from the first Ooh La La. This is the kind of hip-hop that rubs me the wrong way and I can’t listen to it for long. After the first couple of listens I was tempted to skip it, but had to be fair and give it a chance. . .though it never really had one.
    Daycent song, I seriously object :o

That said, I think RTJ are complete visionaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

In 2nd place, submitted by
    Gru
    , Jay Z & Linkin Park-Numb/Encore

This is one of the most amazing collaborations ever. I went through a rock phase during the mid and late noughties and Linkin Park were one of the bands that listened to a lot – and was fortunate enough to see live. Collision Course is a great EP, it made me appreciate Jay Z as well (though not enough to search his discography in detail) and also Mike Shinoda (I think this EP has some of his best vocals, as he can also be a bit hit and miss). An excellent choice, another song that I haven’t heard in a while and will reintroduce in my playlist.

Whats impressive about this duet is that its takes 2 great songs and makes one great track.

Also your love of Mike Shinoda may bode well for me later

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Whats impressive about this duet is that its takes 2 great songs and makes one great track

I saw them do this song together in Milton Keynes years back. Big open air arena but it still took the roof off :pac:

Edit: just looked and it was twelve years ago, I feel so old :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The category with the names proves very difficult to rank. Lots of great songs in it - some great favourites and many that I discover now and really like.

I think I have the top 5 and bottom 3 sorted, but every other place in between is up for grabs. I'm getting really creative with the excuses of moving songs up or down.

Fair play to all of yous, you have made this really interesting. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

"That guy looked at me funny!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

s1ippy wrote: »
    "That guy looked at me funny!"
    Who did? Aris :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

We getting a reveal this eve?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just read my entries as I had forgotten them.

Thinking back to previous rounds...

tenor.gif?itemid=3625953

Green&Red wrote: »
    We getting a reveal this eve?

Sorry, I only finished now for the day.

I have a long day tomorrow - orthodontist appointment in the morning, so I will have to work until late.

So next reveal will be on Thursday - and if nothing else comes up in between I will do another category on Friday.

In the meantime, there are plenty to keep yourselves busy.

Kolido's greatest 80s actor is in full swing. Round 1 is almost done, make sure to follow the action here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058099375

Kolido also has his Surlaw open with some really great songs for you yo listen and vote for:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058096789

ShaneU has started his Walrus and currently accept nominations for some very interesting categories. Read more about it here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058097832

Necro's PEEHS inspired by the Olympic Games is also open for you to submit your answers:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058099778

And Reberetta accepts nominations for 2 competitions:
    The best song by a black music act:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058099785
    and the Greatest Music Album of All Time:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058053641

• Advertisement

OK folks, we are good for another reveal tonight - the category with the names.
    We'll start at 7. Kolido's competition is in the round of 16, so if needed we will make short breaks so people can follow the action there (myself included).

There are quite a few songs that had in mind when selecting this category.
    There are 2 Marlenes that I am particularly fond of:

We also have Kenneth with his frequency:

David Sylvian and Robert Fripp introduces to a birdman:

This wouldn't qualify for the category although it name checks many girls:

And this is where I stole the title of the category:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I very nearly went for What's The Frequency Kenneth - was on my shortlist for this round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I considered The Ting Tings i forgot that song existed until recently, i'm not to confident about this category or the body part category, but both songs are sang by legends imo

I considered The Ting Tings i forgot that song existed until recently, i'm not to confident about this category or the body part category, but both songs are sang by legends imo

So are mine

Not necessarily good legends, admittedly :pac::pac:

Necro wrote: »
    So are mine

Not necessarily good legends, admittedly :pac::pac:
    You submitted Jolene by Dolly Parton, didn't you? :D

You submitted Jolene by Dolly Parton, didn't you? :D

200.gif

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I thought about The Ting Tings as well, but decided it might be a bit obvious. That said, I've really no idea how I'm going to do in this round. It wouldn't surprise me if I completely crashed and burned. I'm a lot more confident about the body part round though.

Apologies for the delay folks, lost track of time. Let's start then.

In 11th place, submitted by
    Zaph
    , Lone Justice-Sweet Jane

I think Show me Heaven is the only Maria McKee song I know. I don’t think I have ever heard of Lone Justice. Also I didn’t know that Sweet Jane is a Velvet Underground song, as I never went passed their eponymous debut album. I liked this one, McKee’s voice sounds so fresh and there is great energy in the song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Can't remember what I sent but most likely will be one of the first names called out :pac:

• Advertisement

In 12th place, submitted by
    beakerjoe
    , Michael Jackson-Dirty Diana

Bad was one of the first cassettes I bought at the age of 15, so I’m very familiar with all songs, not just the singles. This song was a departure from his usual sound, and Quincy Jones’ production made it work well. Not my favourite MJ song and I used that as an excuse to send it a few places down when I had to start nitpicking.

Advertisement