Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me your shortbread secrets

Options
  • 19-07-2020 9:00pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How in god's name is one supposed to make round shortbreads? roll them up, get pissed off with the clingfilm, leave in the fridge, pre heat the oven, then slicing time and you have crumbles.

Other secrets welcome, but starting with "circles" would be good (round on one side and smooshed on the other...)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Shortbread is a crumbly nightmare! I haven't made it in years - I used to roll the dough thinly, cut circles and when they were cooked I sandwiched them together with jam and smeared a load of chocolate on top :)

I probably handled the dough too much so it was easier to roll. I can't imagine being able to handle it if it's been in the fridge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A good too I read is to use a mixture of plain flour and corn flour, using 40-50% cornflour. Using all plain flour makes mine far too crumbly.

You could try cutting out the round shapes with a cutter, rather than slicing the dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Rice flour - the Guardian "How to make the perfect..." recipe and a scone cutter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Think the last time I did them it was about 10 % cornflower , then roll into a large circle ,place on the tray (also a circle ) trim and cut into triangles , less waste and less reworking the dough ... But I'd do that with scones to for much the same reason ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If your really stuck try rolling it out between sheets of clingfilm, slide it onto a tray ,remove the top cling film and then flip it on to your prepared baking sheet ,remove the (formerly) bottom sheet ,prick it and bake ...
    I'm gonna have to do the guardian reciepe now after seeing it ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭tscul32

I use rice flour in mine too and it's delicious, has a lovely snap, buttery taste and easy enough to cut - I roll it out and cut out rounds or Christmas shapes depending on the season.
    Will post the recipe tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

tscul32 wrote: »
    I use rice flour in mine too and it's delicious, has a lovely snap, buttery taste and easy enough to cut - I roll it out and cut out rounds or Christmas shapes depending on the season.
    Will post the recipe tomorrow...

Yes, the rice flour makes a difference to the texture, it helps to give it that dense sandiness, I substitute about 20% of the ordinary flour with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Springwell wrote: »
    Rice flour - the Guardian "How to make the perfect..." recipe and a scone cutter

I find those "How to make the perfect" articles really good, they look at every option to get the best results.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Just checking the recipe that I've used a number of times, as I've never had any issues with crumbling. I actually don't put the ball of dough in the fridge. Instead I roll and cut the freshly made dough and then chill the cut pieces in the fridge for about 20mins before baking.

I'll probably be told I'm doing it wrong, but I swear it turns out great every time! [Well, except that one time around Halloween that I got distracted by face paint while they were oven and they burned...]

And it's the most basic of basic recipes. Just butter, caster sugar and plain flour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

woodchuck wrote: »
    Just checking the recipe that I've used a number of times, as I've never had any issues with crumbling. I actually don't put the ball of dough in the fridge. Instead I roll and cut the freshly made dough and then chill the cut pieces in the fridge for about 20mins before baking.

And it's the most basic of basic recipes. Just butter, caster sugar and plain flour.

Could we have your recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭tscul32

Recipe with rice flour

200g butter
    110g caster sugar
    Beat together for 10 mins

125g plain flour
    25g rice flour
    25g ground almonds
    Add and mix for another couple of mins

125g plain flour
    Mix to clear

Perfect shortbread every time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

foodaholic wrote: »
    Could we have your recipe?

Yeah no problem. Sorry I don't have a link and can't remember where I originally got it from, but from my handwritten recipe book:

Ingredients:
    125g butter (salted, room temp)
    55g caster sugar (and extra for "dusting")
    180g plain flour (sieved)

Method:
    1. Leave butter out to get to room temperature.
    2. Preheat oven to 190C fan (or gas mark 5).
    3. Beat the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon until smooth.
    4. Sieve the flour and stir into the creamed butter and sugar to make a smooth paste / dough.
    5. Turn onto a clean work surface and roll out to a thickness of ~1cm.
    6. Cut into fingers* and prick with a fork for design.
    7. Put on a baking tray, sprinkle with caster sugar and chill in the fridge for ~20mins.
    8. Bake for ~15mins**, turning half way through, until pale golden brown. When ready, cool on a wire rack.

*Or whatever shape you like. I've done bats at Halloween :P
    **Take this baking time with a large pinch of salt, as I'm known to open my oven to check them multiple times! It's probably closer to half this baking time if you leave the oven closed the whole time, but I'd still turn them half way depending on your oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Seamai wrote: »
    I find those "How to make the perfect" articles really good, they look at every option to get the best results.

Love them - they basically do all the work for you!

Advertisement