Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After 4 days on hunger strike Maajid Nawaz secures debate about Uyghar Muslims

Options
  • 19-07-2020 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Fair play to him. Someone at least is highlighting this topic. He's been on hunger strike for the last 4 days and now his petition has hit the target of over 100,000 signatures.

Long live non-violent resistance.
    His goal is to secure a debate in the UK Parliament on the imposition of Maginsky Act style sanctions on individuals who are responsible for gross human rights violations, and is promoting the following petitions:
    • Non- UK Citizens sign the petition by clicking HERE
    • UK Citizens sign the petition by clicking HERE
    The world seems to have turned a blind eye to this abuse. We appear to care more about globalised supply chains, cheap labour and greed than fairness and respect for fundamental human rights. As a result, civil society and our political establishment is at risk of being politically, morally and economically compromised by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).

Quilliam Foundation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

the Chinese ambassador to the UK was asked about it on the Andrew Marr show this morning

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-53463242/china-s-ambassador-challenged-on-treatment-of-uighurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

If any of you are interested: here's an article on china's concentration camps.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/China_hidden_camps

horrible imperialist country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is the country that's going to take over as American hegemony subsides.

Bad times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This is the country that's going to take over as American hegemony subsides.

Bad times ahead.

I'm not so sure about that. They seem to be pissing off their neighbours and most of the civilised world. Their power comes from brutal repression of their own citizens and economic outlooks are not that good. Even population projections would be a worry for them. I'd say China is abit of a tinderbox these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

the Chinese ambassador to the UK was asked about it on the Andrew Marr show this morning

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-53463242/china-s-ambassador-challenged-on-treatment-of-uighurs

Could you imagine Irish government/RTE, Today FM or Newstalk doing anything like this ?

Selling Irish beef to China is more important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

statesaver wrote: »
    Could you imagine Irish government/RTE, Today FM or Newstalk doing anything like this ?

Selling Irish beef to China is more important
    This is very true.

Thanks for the thread OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I'm not so sure about that. They seem to be pissing off their neighbours and most of the civilised world. Their power comes from brutal repression of their own citizens and economic outlooks are not that good. Even population projections would be a worry for them. I'd say China is abit of a tinderbox these days.

Their power far extends beyond that these days, from Australian Universities to Hollywood they've been buying influence for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

China does what China wants and nobody will tell them otherwise you would think after Tiananmen Square they would have had a watershed moment , but no they got more and more powerful on the worlds stage to the point many countries are afraid to speak out for fear of facing some kind of action against them ,the efforts they have gone through to isolate Taiwan is crazy , along with Hong Kong and the Uyghurs which they want wiped out ,10+ million Uyghurs living in China yet no one stands up and says this is wrong ,
    Along with the 99 - line claims to the whole south China sea

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

china is more embedded in the irish govt than most of you think. right up the food chain to minister cown being removed to govt bonds and laundering 1bln on ppe.... you dont think ireland gets into bed with china without getting Fked do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

China has displaced Russia as a greater threat, the ccp are are north korea leaders on steroids europe will have to be ready to impose sanctions on this vile leadership.
    Anyone who questions them outside about hong kong can be arrested they should be put out from g7, UN or any other international affiliation they are a poison state threatening all around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

China has displaced Russia as a greater threat, the ccp are are north korea leaders on steroids europe will have to be ready to impose sanctions on this vile leadership.
    Anyone who questions them outside about hong kong can be arrested they should be put out from g7, UN or any other international affiliation they are a poison state threatening all around them.

What are they like as a bunch of lads though?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

the germans are ccp bootlickers too, selling bmw and audi are more important than human rights. I guess BMW helped with the gas chambers and Hugo Boss made a very beautiful nazi uniform. The ccp say XingJang is a beautiful scenery when asked about the drone footage of thousands of blindfolded, shaved muslims being put on nazi style trains

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,923 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

My boss is Chinese and she's lovely. Obviously, I don't talk to her about the concentration camps her homeland is running and the authoritarian dystopian dictatorship it has become though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

My boss is Chinese and she's lovely. Obviously, I don't talk to her about the concentration camps her homeland is running and the authoritarian dystopian dictatorship it has become though.

totes awks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,923 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

totes awks

Not during a pandemic where only one of us can be in the lab at a time.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

On a person to person level - The chinese are the same as any other people - some are good, some are bad etc.

The problem is with single party politics you cannot stick your head above the parapet without it getting chopped off. The CCP is the problem , there is no room for debate , the most powerful voice rules with an iron fist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Saw a piece about this on euro news one night and they were talking about forced abortions and sterilisations of the women in this group. Awful stuff. We really in the west need to take a look at ourselves and think do we want to keep pouring trade and money into China???? I know I am purposely trying to avoid anything made in China since the lockdown. I will spend extra on not from China stuff and I know I am only one person, but at least it makes me feel like I am not contributing to enriching China any longer

Individually, most Chinese are really nice. You get the odd tool, but considering the size of the population, most Chinese I've met have been pretty good. The problem is more to do with culture. There's a "culture of silence" that goes back long before the CCP was created, so you won't often find Chinese people expressing their genuine opinions on subjects. Posters here like to believe that China is controlled completely by the government, but that's just ignorance. No nation the size of China could be. Instead, it's more to do with their cultural history. History being important here.

There's 56 ish (I can never remember exactly) ethnic groups in China with the Han having the clear majority, with perhaps the Manchu coming second. There's a strong attitude that Han are the true Chinese, and it shows throughout their cultural norms. Minority cultures are generally protected, because they are minorities, and pose no threat to the status quo. There's a zero tolerance of cultural groups who refuse to integrate, with assimilation following quickly after. People can keep their traditions but they need to conform to mainstream Han cultural norms, especially in behavior. Which is why Xinjiang gets so much attention, because they've tried to keep their own culture/religion. Inner Mongolia is also a good example with the Chinese engaging in ethnic cleansing of the population, luring the young away with promises of riches so that they become properly "Chinese".

With regards to China being a danger as a nation... definitely yes, they are. They have a massive inferiority complex due to history. Before the western powers arrived they were essentially the worlds superpower, and the richest nation in the world. From the moment, the colonial powers (and the US) arrived, their power has declined considerably, along with their territory. The loss of face and life due to WW2 and the lack of recognition from the Allies regarding Chinese/Japanese territory, compounds this inferiority complex. They have something to prove... and they will seek to prove themselves superior as a culture.

Personally, I've loved living in China for the last decade, but that time has ended. It's swung to a much more nationalistic attitude, with less tolerance for foreign opinion, and a more aggressive attitude towards westernization within China.. there's a massive push to return to traditional values, even while corruption is rampant. So.. we're likely to see China reverting to something closer to what they were like before 1978. A harsher China with less interest in Diplomacy, and greater expression of militancy. But then, the common attitude is that they have little choice, considering the growth of US/Allied military bases surrounding them. There has been a considerable buildup of military all around China's borders, supplied by the US.. so.. it's a combination of factors.

The Chinese people are a great people. It's just really complicated due to it's size. There's massive disparities in education, and awareness of what is beyond the boundaries of their local areas. Few Chinese pay attention to anything that doesn't directly involve them, and affects their lives directly.. It's not about fear. It's the pragmatic/practical aspect of their culture after 2000 years of development. Keep your head down, and avoid any attention.

All the same, I wouldn't want a militant, nationalistic, and "outraged" China. The Chinese are a very emotional people, with a liking for mob mentality, and bursts of violence. Should they feel slighted, they'll line up in their hundreds of millions to fight for their country... You'll quickly see the online debates dry up, and people becoming very loyal.. It's just a core part of their cultural norm.

As for Uyghar Muslims, the world doesn't care. Just as most Chinese people don't care. Oh.. this has come at the right time, because the West is looking for excuses to be pissed at China.. but the plight of the Uyghar Muslims, Tibetans, Mongolians, etc has been going on for decades, and few people really cared... and it's highly doubtful that China will be forced into doing anything about them. Instead, China will be punished, and this **** will continue..

screamer wrote: »
    Saw a piece about this on euro news one night and they were talking about forced abortions and sterilisations of the women in this group. Awful stuff. We really in the west need to take a look at ourselves and think do we want to keep pouring trade and money into China???? I know I am purposely trying to avoid anything made in China since the lockdown. I will spend extra on not from China stuff and I know I am only one person, but at least it makes me feel like I am not contributing to enriching China any longer

Non Chinese products are better as well. Buy for life, not for a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I wonder if on chinese equivalent of boards whether Islamaphobia (fear rather than hate of Muslims) is prevalent. I think this policy against the Uyghars may not just be a government policy against muslims but is also silently supported by the non-muslim Chinese population. I suspect that this also the case in Burma.
    Weird that both the "Right" and "left" supporters here hold the same opinion on supporting Muslims in a far away country that is currently very unpopular in the West.

• Advertisement

I wonder if on chinese equivalent of boards whether Islamaphobia (fear rather than hate of Muslims) is prevalent. I think this policy against the Uyghars may not just be a government policy against muslims but is also silently supported by the non-muslim Chinese population. I suspect that this also the case in Burma.
    Weird that both the "Right" and "left" supporters here hold the same opinion on supporting Muslims in a far away country that is currently very unpopular in the West.

The CCP hates religion because it holds authority outside of their control. Back in their history, Buddhism spread and was encouraged as long as it only served the people... but the moment that monks entered politics (and got rich), their temples were attacked/destroyed. The same happened for the Daoists. When Christianity started spreading, it was tolerated as long as it remained nonpolitical, but that didn't last.

Later, when the CCP took control, they exercised the same attitude towards religion. If you kept it low key, and didn't make waves, you could worship whatever way you wanted. Churches sprung up, as did cemeteries (even though cremation was the traditional way), but then the RCC started getting political and involving itself with abortion issues... so the CCP started destroying churches, and hunting priests.

There are many enclaves of Muslims throughout China. Xi'an, the city where I lived, has a sizable population of Muslims, with (to my knowledge) over 12 different places of worship, some of which are rather impressive. Their culture, especially food is celebrated, and you'll often encounter Muslims in their particular fashions on their prayer days. They're mostly accepted... as long as they keep their heads down, and conform to mainstream behavioral norms. The same is true for the Christians, although the churches are monitored, and their congregations are ID'd.

It's not about belief... it's about the CCP's paranoia about any authority that might challenge it's control over the people. It's the peoples revolution that created the CCP, so they're very wary about influence affecting "the peasant" populations. The uneducated masses. There are, after all, more Christians in China than in all of Europe... People having their religion is common, although, most Chinese don't advertise their faiths. The rise of various cults in the 60s/70s also challenged the CCP and furthered their distrust of religions with leaderships. Buddhism does well now in China because there is no central authority, and it avoids politics completely.

The problem for the Uyghar Muslims, is less about being Muslim, and more about culture. They're targeted because they want to keep their identity separate from the Chinese. The CCP won't tolerate that from anyone within their borders.

As for online stuff... don't believe most of what you read. Chinese people will speak online all manner of things, but in RL will behave as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

this lads youtube channel is interesting. he recently left china

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FYc7lOiAsU

Good speech Attorny General, WIlliam Barr

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Great place for dystopian surveillance state.
    Not great for dissidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Not the right type of communism, obviously.

The ccp (Chinese government) is a criminal regime for many reasons, their tentacles affect everyone without knowing, some directly feel it, like this Irish guy just doing his job, cannot exit china now and stuck is a craphole prison eating mouldy rice and vegetables, likely laced with cancer or forced sterilization. Maybe they will sell his liver, heart, kidneys over time, or cut all his hair off and make wigs. This. is. literally. what. they. are. doing. to. the. muslims in Xingjang

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/he-doesnt-know-if-hell-ever-see-us-again-family-of-irish-businessman-barred-from-leaving-china-for-past-16-months-in-despair-39377039.html

The wife of an Irish businessman who has been barred from leaving China 16 months ago said that she doesn’t know when he will come home again.

Senior Irish aviation leasing executive Richard O'Halloran, who lived with his wife Tara and four children in Foxrock in Dublin, was given an exit ban 16 months ago after due to his involvement in a court case.

Mr O'Halloran, a director of Dublin-registered China International Aviation Leasing Service Ltd (CALS), arrived in China last year, has become involved in a court case in relation to the chairman and owner of CALS, Chinese businessman Min Jiedong.

Mr O'Halloran's case was first reported in the Sunday Independent in February and now his wife maintains that he is “completely innocent” and has been unable to leave the country, mostly staying in his hotel in Shanghai for fear of contracting the coronavirus as he has an underlying lung condition.

“He’s 100pc innocent, he’s done nothing wrong,” said Mrs O’Halloran.

“It’s about 500 days now that he’s been gone.

“He’s been interrogated by the police, it’s been horrific.”

Mrs O’Halloran has said that the ordeal has caused the family a lot of stress and Mr O’Halloran was not able to travel home when her mother passed away in January.

“My mother died in January and Richard wasn’t here, he couldn’t say goodbye to her.

“She adored my husband. It was just so unfair that he wasn’t allowed to come and attend her funeral or be with us.

“Our children are aged six, eight, 11 and 13 and it’s very hard for the younger ones to understand why he’s not coming back or if he’s ever coming back.”

“We were strongly advised not to travel to China to see him because there’s a risk that I could get detained,” she explained.

While the previous Tánaiste Simon Coveney held a meeting with Mrs O’Halloran, she said that they have been left “completely in the dark” by the Irish government.

“We’ve been in contact with the embassies but they don’t push at a government level.

“We’re really calling out for somebody to help us.

“He’s now saying that he doesn’t know if he’ll ever see us again,” she added.

She has started an online petition, which has garnered over 5,000 signatures.

“We don’t know where to turn next, we’re at our wits end.”

The department of foreign affairs said that it is aware of the case, is providing consular assistance and “it is policy not to comment on individual cases”.

When contacted by Independent.ie, the Chinese embassy in Dublin said that Mr O’Halloran is restricted from leaving the country “but his personal freedom within China and every legal rights are fully guaranteed”.

In a statement, the embassy alleged that Mr O’Halloran is an “operator” of CIALS and alleged that he has “control over the company’s operating revenue”.

“It is hoped that Mr. O’Halloran cooperates positively with Shanghai police to bring this case to a successful conclusion at an early date.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The CCP hates religion because it holds authority outside of their control. Back in their history, Buddhism spread and was encouraged as long as it only served the people... but the moment that monks entered politics (and got rich), their temples were attacked/destroyed. The same happened for the Daoists. When Christianity started spreading, it was tolerated as long as it remained nonpolitical, but that didn't last.

Later, when the CCP took control, they exercised the same attitude towards religion. If you kept it low key, and didn't make waves, you could worship whatever way you wanted. Churches sprung up, as did cemeteries (even though cremation was the traditional way), but then the RCC started getting political and involving itself with abortion issues... so the CCP started destroying churches, and hunting priests.

There are many enclaves of Muslims throughout China. Xi'an, the city where I lived, has a sizable population of Muslims, with (to my knowledge) over 12 different places of worship, some of which are rather impressive. Their culture, especially food is celebrated, and you'll often encounter Muslims in their particular fashions on their prayer days. They're mostly accepted... as long as they keep their heads down, and conform to mainstream behavioral norms. The same is true for the Christians, although the churches are monitored, and their congregations are ID'd.

It's not about belief... it's about the CCP's paranoia about any authority that might challenge it's control over the people. It's the peoples revolution that created the CCP, so they're very wary about influence affecting "the peasant" populations. The uneducated masses. There are, after all, more Christians in China than in all of Europe... People having their religion is common, although, most Chinese don't advertise their faiths. The rise of various cults in the 60s/70s also challenged the CCP and furthered their distrust of religions with leaderships. Buddhism does well now in China because there is no central authority, and it avoids politics completely.

The problem for the Uyghar Muslims, is less about being Muslim, and more about culture. They're targeted because they want to keep their identity separate from the Chinese. The CCP won't tolerate that from anyone within their borders.

As for online stuff... don't believe most of what you read. Chinese people will speak online all manner of things, but in RL will behave as expected.
    When it comes to the western powers the CCP and the general Chinese population would be on the same page in that it ranges from mild hostility to outright hatred. A lot of people in the west don't know but the western powers record in China, particularly the British, was less than stellar during the 19 century and they have not been forgotten or forgiven. For example, the sacking of the Summer Palace (western equivalent would be like the Chinese burning down the Vatican or Versailles) is still an open sore there today.

So with the Chinese new found might, they are in no mood to pay heed to the likes of what the UK might think.

The Uighur issue is indeed cultural. They tend to look west rather than east and have more in common with central Asian states than Beijing. Beijing fears this might lead to requests for further autonomy and eventually secession.

When it comes to the western powers the CCP and the general Chinese population would be on the same page in that it ranges from mild hostility to outright hatred. A lot of people in the west don't know but the western powers record in China, particularly the British, was less than stellar during the 19 century and they have not been forgotten or forgiven. For example, the sacking of the Summer Palace (western equivalent would be like the Chinese burning down the Vatican or Versailles) is still an open sore there today.

Most Westerners don't appreciate the sheers size and the population of China. Few Chinese people ever have a decent conversation with a westerner beyond talking about hobbies or the weather. Some students have time with western teachers, but still, the actual content of conversations is extremely limited. As such, for most Chinese people, they rely on traditional stereotypes, and/or representations of foreign behavior in western movies. We don't exactly show the best sides of western culture in our movies.

Most normal Chinese people find western culture to be full of hypocrisy. One rule for westerners, and a different rule for others. High standards are expected for other countries like China, but western nations often fail to meet the same standards. They're generally bemused by the western media, and understands that western politics is corrupt. And IMHO they're not far wrong... Western culture is full of hypocrisy and double standards while expecting others to be "better", and then punishing those who don't conform.

There is little actual hatred of westerners though. It's certainly there with some people, but mostly, Chinese people find westerners confusing, and there is a lot of contempt towards us. At the same time though, there's jealousy for our economic success and standards of living... So, jealousy and contempt intermixed.

Still, every historical slight or insult is remembered...
    So with the Chinese new found might, they are in no mood to pay heed to the likes of what the UK might think.

Why should they? They feel that they've eclipsed the UK in every way...
    The Uighur issue is indeed cultural. They tend to look west rather than east and have more in common with central Asian states than Beijing. Beijing fears this might lead to requests for further autonomy and eventually secession.

Kinda... it's more to do with the spread of fundamental Islamic teachings, which has swept the Muslim world, and Beijing is afraid of links forming with other Islamic groups, namely Iran. China already has a mostly dormant Muslim population and doesn't want them influenced by what's been happening in the M.East. But yes, the fear of requests for further autonomy and eventually secession, are a very real worry... mostly because they will deny them, and then, they'll have to face suicide bombers going off in their very populated centers. In a way, it's a reasonable fear. All the same though, their need to assimilate cultures is at the core of all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Not the right type of communism, obviously.

The CCP is state capitalism fyi.
    There's nothing communist about it other than the name.

• Advertisement

sweet_trip wrote: »
    The CCP is state capitalism fyi.
    There's nothing communist about it other than the name.

For the most part, yes, although on a local level, some provinces/districts still hold on to their communist past. It's rare though. There was a change in the 70s to put communism behind them, and embrace something different. State Capitalism with superficial overtones of communism.

Advertisement