Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the Leaving Cert

• 19-07-2020 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Well folks here goes -

After much thought, I’ve come to the decision that I need to repeat the leaving. I want do to law, which mean I’ll need at least 480(ish) with the HEAR in tow. I’ve just wrapped up third year of college (yeah, I know).

I’m not leaving anything to chance, so I’m not doing the exams next june, but in 2022. My plan at the moment is to use the upcoming academic year as a “fifth year”, studying at home and getting Fifth year grinds. I want my own “fifth year” to be as strong as possible to really hit the ground running next September.

SO, how would I go about doing the work from home (I’m going to start this week). I’ve still got my old books and revision books, and will be getting some more updated versions. I’m not really sure how to go about actually starting which thing and where. I’ll also be starting German from scratch. (Not a light load, to say the least!)

My subjects are:
    History
    Geog
    Business
    German
    - in addition to the compulsory ones.

I’d really appreciate some advice! (First did the exams back in 2017, so it’s been a while!)

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What are you currently doing in college? Does it overlap with any LC subjects? Have you considered finishing the degree and going into law through a postgrad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Also if your German is rusty, if you passed it the first time, you can use it for entry requirements from your original LC, but do a different subject for points this time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Denners124 wrote: »
    Well folks here goes -

After much thought, I’ve come to the decision that I need to repeat the leaving. I want do to law, which mean I’ll need at least 480(ish) with the HEAR in tow. I’ve just wrapped up third year of college (yeah, I know).

I’m not leaving anything to chance, so I’m not doing the exams next june, but in 2022. My plan at the moment is to use the upcoming academic year as a “fifth year”, studying at home and getting Fifth year grinds. I want my own “fifth year” to be as strong as possible to really hit the ground running next September.

SO, how would I go about doing the work from home (I’m going to start this week). I’ve still got my old books and revision books, and will be getting some more updated versions. I’m not really sure how to go about actually starting which thing and where. I’ll also be starting German from scratch. (Not a light load, to say the least!)

My subjects are:
    History
    Geog
    Business
    German

I’d really appreciate some advice! (First did the exams back in 2017, so it’s been a while!)

Thanks folks!

What are your plans after the law degree? Do you know that you don't need a Law undergrad degree to actually become a solicitor or barrister? You might be an awful lot closer than going back to the very beginning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unless you are particularly stuck on German, there is an option to take Russian (or Japanese), which is a two year course, rather than the culmination of a 5 year course like German (and French, Italian and Spanish).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lawintern20

Hey!

I’m 22, have a BA law and politics degree, and work in human rights at the UN. I have also received a training contract for one of the big commercial law firms in Dublin and internships from two other leading commercial firms.

I don’t think you should repeat the LC. If you want a qualifying law degree to become a barrister, it would be cheaper for you to graduate from whatever your current degree is and do a postgrad LLB in two years in NUIG. This will cost about 7000 per year, and you will get an equivalent qualification to a 3/4 year undergrad degree.

If you choose to start college all over again, you’ll pay astronomical fees. At present, you probably pay about 3000 per year, because the government covers the rest of the costs for Irish students (around 11k per year, depending on your course.) You won’t be eligible for this funding if you do a second undergrad degree, so you’ll be paying about 11k per year for 3-4 years.

If you want to become a solicitor, you don’t need a law degree. You can get any degree and then sit the FE1s.

If you want to go into academia in law, you don’t necessarily need an undergrad law degree. Several LLM (masters in law) programmes will accept you with a ‘relevant degree’, which could include politics, international relations, English, sociology, languages, etc.

If you send me a message and let me know why you want to do a law degree/ what your plans are, hopefully I can help you look for a slightly shorter and cheaper path! 😊
    Denners124 wrote: »
    Well folks here goes -

My subjects are:
    History
    Geog
    Business
    German

Thanks folks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement