Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warranty for importing a car from outside the EU

• 20-07-2020 7:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭

I know that if one imports a car from the UK, the manufacturer's warranty still carries over, but is that the case for cars imports from the likes of Japan or Australia?

Would it be up to the individual's dealership or manufacture?

Getting information on this is not that easy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For the likes of say a Toyota/Lexus Hybrid battery pack or Nissan LEAF battery I could see the warranty period being global as the parent company will likely cover the replacement but can't see any other components being covered across different regions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Each manufacturer has an EU wide distributor which is then broken down by country or country group, i.e. United Kingdom/Ireland. I could not see them wanting anything to do with honoring the warranty of a car from Japan or Australian that was never intended to be sold in Europe. They would not be bound by EU law to honor it either as EU originally sold cars have to meet different requirements to Japan or Australian sold cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Williewell

Did you manage to find a warranty that transfers back to Europe? I'm thinking ot bringing home a VW from Australia but would want the warranty cover to come across too. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No, I didnt.

I am guessing that it wont, but haven't tested it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Williewell

VW Australia said a warranty covers internationally for 2 years from date of purchase (new car only).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

Short answer - No

Warranty is not transferrable on any vehicle purchased outside the EU + UK, even a brand new one. European distributors sell their products in Europe and do not / will not honour a warranty on a car they didn't sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Even within EU it's not always that straightforward.

I purchased a brand new Suzuki S-Cross in 2021 from a dealer in Poland, and as I was taking it to Ireland for couple of months in 2022, I enquired about warranty abroad (in case something happens) at my dealers. They directed me to ask Suzuki Motor Poland (which is main Suzuki distributor body and coordinates all dealers in Poland) and their answer was non-specific, but in general they said that depending on a EU country in which I might want to repair my car under warranty, in some countries it might be like at home, but in some I might be required to pay for repairs, obtain adequate invoices and proofs of repair, and apply for refund to Suzuki Motor Poland. They were not able to answer my direct question whether I'd need to pay for repairs in Ireland or not - they just said to contact them if I need to use warranty there. Luckily I didn't, so never found out.

Advertisement