Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky for a year just to get the satellite

• 20-07-2020 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Is it worth getting Sky subscription for a year to get the satellite installed?

Or is there another option in Dublin? Independant installed satellite and Freesat/Saorsat box?

I'm very new to all of this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

thesto wrote: »

Or is there another option in Dublin? Independant installed satellite and Freesat/Saorsat box?

I'm very new to all of this

I would imagine someone like this crowd would be a better bet than getting a year long sky sub:

https://www.billfreetv.ie/

Also, going the DIY route is not that difficult, if you (or someone close to you) are up for it. I'm not very competent with DIY but still managed it.

I bought all my gear from this crowd:

https://www.freetv.ie/

No affiliation with any of the above. I assume alternates are available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

No, a waste of money if you do not require Sky subscription content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

No, a waste of money if you do not require Sky subscription content.

Used to be worth it maybe a while back, sky obviously got fed up with it and now SkyQ is the default installation, so at the very least you’ll need to change the LNB at the end of the year

If you could manage to change the LNB, you could put the dish up yourself. Also got my gear from FreeTV and the videos they have on their site were a great help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I did that years back. You will loose the RTE channels despite being told by SKY they would stay after the year sub ended. That was so long ago I've no clue what it cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Wouldn't it be ballpark the same cost

Not in my view.
    Contract: 12 x 30  =  €360
    Sky Q 1TB box:          30

At end of contract the LNB will have to be changed and an aerial will need to be fitted to receive Saorview channels, which will mean a call out of a suitably qualified fitter.

A replacement combi receiver will need to be bought as the Sky Q box must be returned.

So essentially the sub pays only for the satellite dish and running two coax cables in a standard fitting.

Add in the hassle of re-doing it after 12 months and it is really a waste, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭thesto

Much obliged, that clearly outlines the holes in my thinking. Wasn't aware of the LNB etc...

Will research the DIY route - better not fall off the ladder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Much obliged, that clearly outlines the holes in my thinking. Wasn't aware of the LNB etc...

Will research the DIY route - better not fall off the ladder!

The dish doesn't have to be up high. I have mounted several dishes on the ground in order to avoid heights. It just needs a clear line of sight to the satellite position.

I once set up a dish for my elderly neighbour that was mounted on to a solid building block and placed out so that it was hidden from direct view by a bush in the garden. :)

I also put one on an apartment balcony, mounted on an old microphone stand and positioned behind and just below the balcony wall, so it could not be seen. The angle of incidence was so critical in that location that it once lost signal when a level of snowfall rose two inches on top of the balcony wall - creating a gap in the slight snow buildup allowed the signal through again. It was only clearing the wall by the two inches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Satellite dish can be gotten for €40 if your willing to try installing yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I signed up to Sky for this reason a few years ago, I also got a free telly (for the bedroom) at the time. This was before Sky Q and the LNB was fine for me. In that situation I think it was worth it (as my telly in the sitting room will take the satellite cable).

The LNB makes this a non runner now in my book. Plenty of satellite installers who'll sort you out if you're nervous about it.

Sky are the worst crowd to deal with. Somehow they set me up with 2 accounts to the same address.

2 install lads
    2 accounts
    No matter how many times I called to cancel I kept getting bills.

Then took forever to get a refund. They wouldn't even offer anything as a sorry.

Definitely don't go with them for a Yr.

• Advertisement
Advertisement