Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a 250sqm house for 250k. Possible? Already have land.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's not quite true as affording a mortgage and getting a mortgage are two very different things. The 3.5 times salary is an issue for many which is different to being able to afford.
    We’re speaking in generalities here. But the further you go above 3.5x service, the harder it will be to service a mortgage. And the harder it is to service. The harder it would be to put away an additional 1k or so per month to complete a build.

Yes there are benefits as can bail out some months when you are tight. But there there’s also the huge plus if living in a finished house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Astro127

Hi what size would I be looking at for 300 - 350k

Astro127 wrote: »
    Hi what size would I be looking at for 300 - 350k

As mentioned in the thread already the build cost can easily a lot depending on many factors with going contractor vs self project managed direct labour probably being the biggest variable. Part of the country you are in will also make a difference with prices less in the west than the east etc.

I can go by west of Ireland contractor pricing which I have seen the numbers on with best price being about 155 euro sq ft meaning 350k would get you about 2300 sq ft. Rough rule of thumb would be knock about 20% to 25% off for direct labour (being pessimistic lets say 20%) which would give about 125 euro sq foot meaning a house size of 2800 sq ft. But you need to be willing to do a lot of management work and realistically would want to know at least some of the trades people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

As mentioned in the thread already the build cost can easily a lot depending on many factors with going contractor vs self project managed direct labour probably being the biggest variable. Part of the country you are in will also make a difference with prices less in the west than the east etc.

I can go by west of Ireland contractor pricing which I have seen the numbers on with best price being about 155 euro sq ft meaning 350k would get you about 2300 sq ft. Rough rule of thumb would be knock about 20% to 25% off for direct labour (being pessimistic lets say 20%) which would give about 125 euro sq foot meaning a house size of 2800 sq ft. But you need to be willing to do a lot of management work and realistically would want to know at least some of the trades people.

I'm in the west and built by direct labour ten years ago, 180k for 220msq. Ufh, mhrv etc. Prices must have gone up a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

We just built a 250sqm house. Cost was circa 350K all in to finish. Hired a builder and was completed in 9 months.

• Advertisement

The problem with saying a house was built x years ago for x cost is that things can change so fast it gives very unrealistic expectations. And very few people factor in their own time or their friends, especially if they are already in the trade.

Build costs have significantly increased due to labour shortages and materials cost increases(thanks brexit). Building standards have also significantly increased in the last two decades, in enough small steps that the increased build price is deceptive.

Fair enough. What's the cumulative inflation on building costs over a 10-year period though? I wouldn't have thought it was grossly significant.

Can we put a number on it?

Fair enough. What's the cumulative inflation on building costs over a 10-year period though? I wouldn't have thought it was grossly significant.

Can we put a number on it?

Could be 50% more expensive now as a rough estimate. Even if you look at some of the figures in this thread it would point towards that.

Direct labout build costs were around the 70 to 80 euro a sq ft then and are likley 120 to 130 a sq foot now. Take a 2000 sq ft house as an example you could be looking at around 100k more expensive to built today and 10 years ago.

Buiding your own home is not cheap and if you don't get the site from free its even more so but you will build a far better and bigger house exactly how you want it for the price of a mediocre 3/4 bed in a (good) city suburb estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

The design of a house can impact price more then size. I recall when building my house being advised on roof shapes as some more complex would cost lot more to build. Corner windows require steel which costly. Keeping toilets ect to one side so less pipes. I'm not even considering finishes for this conversation.
    Could build a big house that costs lot less than one half size.
    We went direct labour route each trade gave a list what neededc so could shop around. I don't think that option as easy anymore if borrowing from Bank one person (main contractor or engineer must be paid)
    I would advise you to start with drawings of what you want ask local engineer if planning would be possible, get a few build quotes and redesign to suit costs.
    I expect you will get numbers closer to 500 if bring that picture to most contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Could be 50% more expensive now as a rough estimate. Even if you look at some of the figures in this thread it would point towards that.

Direct labout build costs were around the 70 to 80 euro a sq ft then and are likley 120 to 130 a sq foot now. Take a 2000 sq ft house as an example you could be looking at around 100k more expensive to built today and 10 years ago.

Buiding your own home is not cheap and if you don't get the site from free its even more so but you will build a far better and bigger house exactly how you want it for the price of a mediocre 3/4 bed in a (good) city suburb estate.

It’ll be bigger anyway :D

Cyrus wrote: »
    It’ll be bigger anyway :D

and better, generic estate houses are terribly designed as they are trying to do them cheap and fit them all together. Small rooms, poor layouts, no ethrnet, not half enough power sockets, my pet hate is chimney breasts in the middle of the main living room wall like it was the 1950 and then having to tuck a tv in the corner and you can't even face the couches correctly - put the fire in the corner ffs (though going forward this wont be as big an issue as houses won't have chimneys).

I could write an essay on poorly designed and laid out carbon copy estate houses (and people building their own too, I have tried to advise friends on things when building but not everyone listens).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

and better, generic estate houses are terribly designed as they are trying to do them cheap and fit them all together. Small rooms, poor layouts, no ethrnet, not half enough power sockets, my pet hate is chimney breasts in the middle of the main living room wall like it was the 1950 and then having to tuck a tv in the corner and you can't even face the couches correctly - put the fire in the corner ffs (though going forward this wont be as big an issue as houses won't have chimneys).

I could write an essay on poorly designed and laid out carbon copy estate houses (and people building their own too, I have tried to advise friends on things when building but not everyone listens).

Sure and there are plenty of one offs built the same, but it seems like you have a bit of flair so look forward to hearing about your self build when it’s done

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

arctictree wrote: »
    We just built a 250sqm house. Cost was circa 350K all in to finish. Hired a builder and was completed in 9 months.

Any pics? 👍😎

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hackersphorr

arctictree wrote: »

When you say finish, what do you mean? Floors/Doors/Kitchen/Tiling?

Driveway/lawn/kerbing?

What part of country are you in?

Also, what style? Bungalow? 2 Story?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Aguce

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

New estate houses have plenty of flaws but they tend to have ethernet. Room size is a product of house size.

Advertisement