Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housing development Coonagh

• 20-07-2020 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Seen on a jobs website there are 43 houses and apartments for Coonagh, anyone know more details on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭AnonZen

The figure tallies with this one from an article last Oct. (Sorry, new poster so I can't include links).
    Construction is to begin on the latest social housing development in Limerick in Clonmacken. Forty-three new homes are being built in Clonmacken after contracts were signed with Glenman Corporation.

The contract signing followed a competitive tendering process for the contract to build the 43 new homes comprising of three one-bedroom, 16 two-bedroom, and 24 three-bedroom homes.

The cost of the overall development of the site is in the region of €7.5 million and the timeframe for delivery is around 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

AnonZen wrote: »
    The figure tallies with this one from an article last Oct. (Sorry, new poster so I can't include links).

I thought construction had begun there at this site, i remember a few months ago passing and some footings were in place already. is there much planned from this as in multiple phases etc?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There are 43 social housing units currently under construction on the river side of the Condell Rd out near the Clonmacken Roundabout. It's the project that AnonZen had quoted above.
    https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/construction-begin-new-social-housing-development
    http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/188008/0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Passed by there yesterday. It really seems an odd location for a development of that type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

thats one of 3 housing sites on Clondell Road with plans in place. 43 houses there at the site already commenced. 110 units almost directly across the road from there. More housing units at the site behind Na Piarsaigh just before the Tesco roundabout. A further site just went on sale this week of 6+22 acres at the Clonmacken roundabout - some of this is zoned residential and more is open space. Lots of changes here in the coming years.

• Advertisement

thats one of 3 housing sites on Clondell Road with plans in place. 43 houses there at the site already commenced. 110 units almost directly across the road from there. More housing units at the site behind Na Piarsaigh just before the Tesco roundabout. A further site just went on sale this week of 6+22 acres at the Clonmacken roundabout - some of this is zoned residential and more is open space. Lots of changes here in the coming years.

The application behind Na Piarsaigh has been appealed to ABP. The 110 houses across the road IIRC has had permission for nearly 10 years, but there's still no movement.

Theres been some work there this last few days

edited to add : permission granted in May2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Wouldn't the area be a flood risk?

Theres been some work there this last few days

edited to add : permission granted in May2017

I think thats related to enabling works for the social housing development across the road. I haven't seen any commencement notice for that site which was placed on the market by NAMA last summer for €3.5m.

I think thats related to enabling works for the social housing development across the road. I haven't seen any commencement notice for that site which was placed on the market by NAMA last summer for €3.5m.

Well, well, well. A commencement notice has just gone up for the following.

Demolition of dwelling house & construction of residential units consisting of 35 no. dwelling houses (inclusive of a mix of house design types) and all associated infrastructure including new vehicular access & signalised junction on the Condell Road and all ancillary site development works under Phase 1

Not 110, but it does say it Phase 1, so it could be this development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They've now broken ground on the North Circular side of the Condell road I saw earlier. Opposite the existing site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

this means more traffic lights along the condelll road - boo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Well, well, well. A commencement notice has just gone up for the following.

Demolition of dwelling house & construction of residential units consisting of 35 no. dwelling houses (inclusive of a mix of house design types) and all associated infrastructure including new vehicular access & signalised junction on the Condell Road and all ancillary site development works under Phase 1

Not 110, but it does say it Phase 1, so it could be this development.

Would I be right in saying that should the existing flood defenses fail (as they did last year) these developments on the Condell road would be flooded?- or are they somewhat elevated?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that should the existing flood defenses fail (as they did last year) these developments on the Condell road would be flooded?- or are they somewhat elevated?

From what I've seen in my years of cycling that road, the section being developed at the moment wouldn't be prone to flooding.

From the road it looks like the council site has had the ground level raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Important to differentiate that the flood defense did not fail due to unusually high tides or storm or some other act of god weather event.

The flood was due to failed OPW works badly managed - failing in attempt to repair a sluice gate during highest tide of the month,
    and then leaving the riverbank (defense) in a compromised state.

See article from the time - OPW acknowledged in a statement that temporary measures put in place to try to repair a damaged sluice flood defence at Coonagh had failed, leading to the flooding.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/opw-to-accept-full-liability-after-failed-river-defences-flooded-homes-and-gaa-club-38465219.html

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Picture of compromised riverbank.

rok wrote: »
    Important to differentiate that the flood defense did not fail due to unusually high tides or storm or some other act of god weather event.

The flood was due to failed OPW works badly managed - failing in attempt to repair a sluice gate during highest tide of the month,
    and then leaving the riverbank (defense) in a compromised state.

See article from the time - OPW acknowledged in a statement that temporary measures put in place to try to repair a damaged sluice flood defence at Coonagh had failed, leading to the flooding.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/opw-to-accept-full-liability-after-failed-river-defences-flooded-homes-and-gaa-club-38465219.html

Despite OPW acknowledging that they were responsible for the floods, couldn't it be argued that if they hadn't started the repair, or seen that it needed repair work, that the land would have flooded anyway.

Going back years and years, the lands behind Ashbrook and the end of Clareview, back of Na Piarsaigh were always marshy ground and rivers & streams have been diverted over the years to allow for housing. Coonagh lands historically always flooded, they were flood plains of the Shannon River. Evidence also showed lands there were reclaimed from the river around the early 1800s.

Are sluice gates are just holding back the water from what should be their natural course anyway ?

Advertisement