Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone got fitter since the lockdown?

Options
  • 20-07-2020 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got fitter since the lockdown? I joined Flyefit in Sep 2018 and I had periods where I was in good shape, but I was never consistent. Going to a gym after work wasn't fun, and taking 3 hours out of my weekend to go wasn't exacting great sounding.

We have a set of dumbells at home, so since lockdown I've been lifting 5 days a week using dumbells, furniture, and body weight. I've lost about 1 stone since, and I'm probably in the best shape of my life.

WFH has helped massively, as I have so much time. Covid has been amazing for me fitness wise. Anyone else?

I've cancelled my gym membership, as I won't be near it for the rest of the year, but as long as working out at home is showing results I'm not going back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Nope. No childcare and work meant I was permanently exhausted. I ate my stress and hadn’t the energy to work out.

Finally getting it together this last week but have a lot of work to get back to where I was

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Only in the last three weeks since the gyms reopened!

My dad: What time is it?
    Me: Looks at watch, "Its 7.65. No wait, thats how many steps I did today".

Short answer. No. Not been for a swim or lifted anything heavier than a pint bottle since February. Only put on 1 pound so far, but there is no way I got fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Wouldn't say I'm any fitter, but I've lost over a stone by cutting back on the beer, so that's nice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

Definitely. Enjoy running, but lockdown has given me consistency to get out 5 or 6 times a week. Am now the fastest and fittest that I have been (certainly if my times are anything to go by).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

is_that_so wrote: »
    Only in the last three weeks since the gyms reopened!

Wow, lockdown was wasted on you, you do know you can cancel the direct debit?
    Did you not use the time as an opportunity to think outside the box?

Wow, lockdown was wasted on you, you do know you can cancel the direct debit?
    Did you not use the time as an opportunity to think outside the box?
    On an annual plan and they paused it so no boxes needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

is_that_so wrote: »
    On an annual plan and they paused it so no boxes needed.

Would have thought gyms would be the last place people would want to go at a time like this.

Couldn't you just set up a load of mirrors in the garden if you are that keen to look at yourself working up a sweat?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,827 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Playing more golf but eating more rubbish, so the answer is No.
    Is there any way you can eat yourself fitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

No, I used a variety of methods in an attempt to maintain any strength, muscle or fitness... resistance bands (weights were rarer that unobtanium), body weight exercises, walking, tabata, yoga.... and a coupe of others and none worked. My physique was made lifting weights and I simply could not replicate it. I lost weight but it was muscle and in the end gained weight (not much but enough for me to see) in fat on my stomach.... The gym beckons next week, it will be very tough but I'm looking forward to it like its a christmas day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

Yep gave up smoking after 22 years and doing 2 -3 X 8Km walks/ jogs a week
    watching what i eat too with some intermittant fasting and 5kg fell off in 6 weeks !!

Would have thought gyms would be the last place people would want to go at a time like this.

Couldn't you just set up a load of mirrors in the garden if you are that keen to look at yourself working up a sweat?
    Very limited numbers, 60-90m sessions, booking app, windows open, lots of cleaning will do it.
    Nah, not part of the Insta body cohort, most people aren't. Mirrors are for form only otherwise best avoided!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Kamu

Cardiovascularly I've gotten fitter, as I took up running and was running two 5k's and one 10k a week. However I am not particularly fond of running.

Also, I must have been eating a hell of a lot more as I gained a stone during the lockdown.

Strength wise, I lost about 40% I say. Though I am recovering that steadily.

I've been back everyday at the gym the week they opened. I missed it as weightlifting is definitely my exercise of choice.

I know the importance of cardio though, and I have been swimming, running or cycling on my off days.

I tried home workouts, but I have no equipment and not a lot of space, so it is a non-runner for me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I did not have a nervous breakdown, it was quite a work-out dodging that!
    I’ll get right on to the exercise as soon as I manage 2 decent nights’ sleep in a row...

No, I used a variety of methods in an attempt to maintain any strength, muscle or fitness... resistance bands (weights were rarer that unobtanium), body weight exercises, walking, tabata, yoga.... and a coupe of others and none worked. My physique was made lifting weights and I simply could not replicate it. I lost weight but it was muscle and in the end gained weight (not much but enough for me to see) in fat on my stomach.... The gym beckons next week, it will be very tough but I'm looking forward to it like its a christmas day.
    It really is like that the first day!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Bought a bike, cycle with the kids in the evening, lost a stone, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Nope. I put on a whole stone, and it was wonderful.

Back at work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nope. Lost it considerably. Previously I'd be in the gym or out for a run four days out of five - during lunchtime. Now working from home, I can't justify just popping out for a run in the middle of the day leaving my wife to mind the kids. Even getting up early to go out is a no-go because I stay up late giving the baby the nighttime feed.

But we do have a new baby, so I was expecting to throttle back on exercise for six months or so. Not commuting to work by bike was unexpected, and has been a serious part of my fitness loss. I've gotten so stiff now that I've injured myself a couple of times.

But I'm slowly getting back to it, making time in the week. I'll be WFH indefinitely so I have to rearrange the whole routine. Gym membership will be cancelled. Kids back to school will help a lot though. Much easier to justify a mid-morning run when you're not leaving a partner minding a whole house full of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Definitely,

Lost 12 Kilo's, can now run 10k without losing my ****. Times improving all the time. Set a marker in the sand about 10 week ago that i was just taking the mick with over indulgence. So parked it.

Feeling fitter right now than id say i have felt in 10 years.

Goal is to tighten it up, and then just maintain it that way with regular but not ver bearing exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Yeah. Lost 10lbs and was running (x5 per week) 260km per month. In fact yesterday I had to go clothes shopping for new trousers. Down to 30 inch waist.

Although I was at work every single day (9-5) rather than 'locked down', no traffic, no meetings, no suit, no school runs, wife not working so no restrictions on my running, plenty of time to make propoer healthy lunches, no drinking whatsoever, commute down to 15 mins as opposed to 45 mins.

I had a great lockdown.

On the downside: wife has not cash so I have had to pay for everything including 100% mortgage for the past 4 months.

Plus I have not had a single day off in 2020 for holiday..am self employed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Yip, have a gym my basement. Put the time I would normally travel in and out to work to good use. Changed programs in March as I had more time I could use, put on some good mass since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I defo lost some muscle mass so need to get back strength training.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yup. It also ties into a NY resolution which is not usually my thing but I did put it into a thread here earlier in the year so I have to stick to it. I would also caveat it with stating that not long ago I was in the least fit state of my life - hit 12.5 stone :eek:

Anyway, thanks to lockdown I've been hitting my little makeshift gym in the garage almost every lunchtime. That's all fine but the best bit is that the resolution was to get back on the football field this year (bad injury a few years ago at the age of 34 looked to have taken the retirement decision out of my hands) and now that lockdown has eased, I've been training with the local vets team for the last few weeks. The limbs have been sore after each session but the main thing is that the knee remains solid - I've also made a decent impression on the manager while still being very rusty.

Our first friendly game is on the 22nd of Aug and I have every intention of bossing that midfield like days of yore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

no changes in my wt but don't feel as fit as no gym and hadn't been hiking for a few months.. but loads i know have lost wt - without that being their objective - they have just been walking more and some started running (for something to do and or as a way to deal with stress etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

No. WFH stressing me out with extra workload on a restrictive laptop then snacking more hasn't helped. Then an hour day lost of walking when I would be walking to/from work hasn't helped either. Obviously social distancing doesn't help and the extra football on the TV. Got out for two long walks past two days so there's hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Now at the fittest I have been for over 10 years - bought a road bike - cycling circa 70-80kms 4/5 times a week - delira.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've always cycled a bit, but I've cycled for an hour a day, 5 days a week since April. More than 1800km now. Lost about 3 kilos.

Recently I did one of the climbs I'd done a few times before (but not since April) and was amazed at how much easier it was, and how much faster Strava told me it was.

If I wasn't pouring whiskey down my throat regularly (and right now) I'd be in really great shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I hate doing weights or cardio if it's not part of a class. I wrestle, roll and spar in an MMA gym, that was closed for 5 months so I didn't do a tap of exercise then. All open again and restarting from a very low fitness base and finding it very tough but I'll get there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I have been walking every morning since the end of April. I feel much fitter for it. It sets me up for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I messed up big time.

The day of Leo’s stay at home speech I had hit my weight loss goal of 100lbs. All through walking/running/cycling to work. Ended up WFH and still am. Early days of lockdown effected my anxiety and mental health so didn’t get out exercising much and fell into a routine of working, snacking, baking with kid, and general laziness and put up 22lbs which I’m working off again now. Running is harder again, I’d run 10-12km before and I struggled to hit even 4km last week but I know I just need to work back to it.

The last 3 pounds to get to the 100 goal were excruciatingly difficult, it took weeks.. Can’t believe I just threw them away so quickly, and then some...

But I’ve done it before and will do it again. I’m glad it’s only 22 and not 100 again!

Advertisement