Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone got fitter since the lockdown?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I messed up big time.

The day of Leo’s stay at home speech I had hit my weight loss goal of 100lbs. All through walking/running/cycling to work. Ended up WFH and still am. Early days of lockdown effected my anxiety and mental health so didn’t get out exercising much and fell into a routine of working, snacking, baking with kid, and general laziness and put up 22lbs which I’m working off again now. Running is harder again, I’d run 10-12km before and I struggled to hit even 4km last week but I know I just need to work back to it.

The last 3 pounds to get to the 100 goal were excruciatingly difficult, it took weeks.. Can’t believe I just threw them away so quickly, and then some...

But I’ve done it before and will do it again. I’m glad it’s only 22 and not 100 again!

You've been there before it will be a lot easier this time, once you get over the initial shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Absolutely.
    Was so much easier to get fit during lockdown. Weather was glorious too.

Getting less exercise in now work back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Nope. Children at home all the time , and the work bumpf has ramped up my hours. It's not work from home, it's more like Live At Work.

Had cheese on toast there, very late dinner-substitute and am headed straight to bed. Healthy , nope. I haven't put on weight, but certainly didn't lose any either. Have probably replaced muscle with fat and cardiovascular has no doubt depleted with being so sedentary.

People's talk of their "free time" genuinely irritates me nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fitter for sure... I do miss the gym because i like the variety of equipment and my trainer but I’ve so much time to kill and I enjoy exercising.

I keep an online exercise diary that I send to my trainer at the end of the week...

Todays entry for instance :

5.5km walking.. my pedometer measures distance, steps and calories that I’d have burned, I went for a 2.2km walk to the park and once around it and did 3.3 kms just walking round the house.

6 kms on my exercise bike... resistance 12... time...22 minutes.

I’m not obsessed with beating it or going better as I once was at the beginning. Enough is good enough.

My mother is doing the same, well minus a bike and she’s kicking ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No fitter but the lack of a 2/3 hour commute every day and late home means I am eating and sleeping better rather than late evening snacking or takeaways because I was too tired to make something better.

Have definitely lost weight too.

• Advertisement

didn't train since March........ first night back last night. 20 pull ups, 20 chin ups and dips was a struggle, was able to do weighed ones handy enough up to March.
    Was hoping to get my 5km time down over the time off from the gym but that didn't go to plan either.

didn't gain much weight (maybe 2 pounds) but fitness is bad compared to what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Has anyone got fitter since the lockdown? I joined Flyefit in Sep 2018 and I had periods where I was in good shape, but I was never consistent. Going to a gym after work wasn't fun, and taking 3

I’ve been cycling into work every day on my Brompton and using that almost exclusively for tipping around. I’ve rarely driven over the last few months except at the weekend.
    I’ve lost about another half stone since my gym closed. Gearing up for 100k on a proper road bike by September. Legs and lungs are in great shape so it’s just to get my body used to spending that long on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

No but I did get fatter does that count ? not even joking need to lose about 10lbs 🀪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

I've lost 5 or 6 pounds. I've really cut down on alcohol, have had about 6 cans in 3 or 4 months. I've also started eating a lot healthier, mainly vegetables as doing a lot of gardening although they don't fill me.
    However, I've lost any bit of muscle I had and not as toned as I was when heavier and running times haven't improved. Haven't been doing any weights at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yep

I'm flying to be honest.
    Lockdown kickstarted me. I decided once the building sites closed that I would do some form of excercise daily.
    Now that the sites are open I'm back to my usual 7,000 to 10,000 steps daily before any excercise.
    I take 2 rest evenings a week. Otherwise get in a run/cycle/weights

Running
    My fastest ever 5k, 10k 15k. Did my second ever half marathon

Cycling
    Funnily i'm probably not at my best climbing, but shorter spins or flat spins..flying

Weights - have some at home and a chinup bar
    OK. Hadn't gone to gym in 3 years - now back to a reasonable level in particular on wide chins and pushups

Down about 7kg since Feb, but i was carrying some winter timber, prob 2 lighter than last summer (and doing no weights last year).
    (Say 100kg in Feb)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When the gyms closed I started cutting down on calorie intake so don't think I have gained very much.
    Also outdoor runs and long walks in the woods with the family helps.
    I'm less fit, but not as bad as I had initially feared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

In Feb I went from 78 to 73kg because i'd been weightlifting and was unhappy with belly. However I'd quite a lot of muscle mass for my weight.

I dropped to 71kg in March/April which was purely muscle mass reduction as I'd no machines at home which I'd usually have for muscle building at gym and I was also running.

April/May/June has been the unhealthiest period of my life. I'd abandoned running, started drinking a lot more on weekends and eating sh1te and not preparing meals. Although I'm working from home and have more time and even some newly purchased equipment, I've found the motivation to exercise has gone.

Start of this month, I've kickstarted back into it, slowly but surely. Mainly because I've been getting health problems recently and think immune system is affected by the diet and lack of exercise. I had a go at bench presses and bicep curls last week and only over them now. I think this lockdown is going to last a long long time so by the end of it I'm aiming to be at the fittest stage of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

For the first time in my life I'm consistently exercising everyday. Resistance exercise was a bit less successful as I usually had to be creative with ways of lifting common household objects, they are generally not nearly heavy enough to build muscle so not much progress in that regard but it was more for maintenance of existing muscle than anything else.

But my cardiovascular fitness has really improved, running 5km every single day now almost without exception, and running that distance with relative ease now after so much practice. Absolutely love it, sleep amazing every night after my run, and it really clears my mind of any stressful crap circulating in my head earlier in the day. Very happy with myself and hope I keep it up forever now if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I have lost a stone and I can't remember the last time I weighed this much. In fairness I'd be losing weight slowly over the past three years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Not really. I quite likely had what’s being called Longtail Covid, with a respiratory virus from mid-March to early April and then post-viral inflammation in my chest and around my right lung and esophageal inflammation. I went from being very fit, lean and muscular to not being able to catch my breath on a slow walk to the kitchen for about 14 weeks. I lost a lot of muscle and gained fat.

I’ve been able to exercise without relapse since the start of July. But I still have costochondritis so need to be careful about rebuilding my strength. It’ll probably be the end of August before I’m back to where I was.

On the other hand I have become a little more flexible especially in the upper back as I’ve been working to break the habit I developed of tensing on a deep breath, which has helped me increase my flexibility there more than it has been in decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

No, was in decent shape before. Now I have manboobs and a jiggle in the belly that I never had before.

Did about 15000 steps a day around town before lockdown in a working day which went down to circa average 1500 during lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

My back is f**ked since not being able to keep swimming and sauna up. Hopefully get on top of things again over next 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Have gotten fat, need to stop eating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The early days of the virus emerging in Ireland, I was very worried and I didn't like the news. There was a box of aldi jaffa cakes and I opened the box to have 2 of them. Only I didn't stop at two. I scoffed the whole lot of them. I never did that before, using a whole entire packet of biscuits as a comfort food. Biscuits and ****e used to feature heavily in my diet but never a pack of them in one sitting.

Thankfully I quickly snapped out of that and I cleaned up the diet and started walking more. Thankfully the lockdown coincided with a beautiful spring. I started exercising more too. I have a 2 stone weight loss since March. Unfortunately fell off the wagon over the past 2 weeks. I worked so hard since March but stress is a pack of sh1t.

I'm loving the new way by the way. Of clean eating and exercising. I'm bursting with energy but unfortunately over the past fortnight there is a lot of stress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Yes.
    I was a 8
    Now I’m a 9.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah I'd started working out at home just before last christmas and during the lockdown I really started doing it regularly. Strongest I've been for years now. The only problem I found was the diet side became a lot harder to maintain with so much free time and supermarkets being the only thing open. From Christmas to April I'd been slowly but steadily losing the last few kilos I wanted, but since then it's just plateaued

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well Id stopped eating bread about 18 months ago and haven't had any chocolate or fizzy drinks or crisps in 14 years so my diet was already limited but I've started eating yoghurt again after years of not eating them. In normal times I'd have drank stout which is probably part of the weight I've lost but no way is it all of it.

Actually, just typing that out I never realised when I was in secondary school and college how larger my diet was and how less it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have and I haven't

Starting to get into long distance walking, great for the head and kills time. 8000 steps a day

Advertisement