Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Control board in a Neff American fridge

Options
  • 20-07-2020 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where the control board is usually located in a Neff American Freezer? I've been around most of the fridge at this stage and i expect it's in main the fridge compartment at the top behind the lights.

I've already removed the ice maker (badly needed clean anyway) and back plates where alot of the wiring then goes in between the metal frame and the plastic freezer frame and I don't want to put it all back in if the PCB is somehow located in there.

The reason I'm looking I'd that the fridge has started tripping the rcd since my wife cleaned it at the weekend. I've figured out that it won't trip if I disconnect the defrosting element with online thermostat. The element seems okay though. It's heating away but there's a delayed trip that once goes can't be reset immediately unless I disconnect the element. I'd like to double check upstream from this. Measured something like 50 or 60vac driving the element. Is that typical? Would have expected 230.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Just to update in case anyone was interested. I found the controller, well the de-frost timer and out popped the wiring diagram for the fridge which was sitting in beside it. Happy enough that that the issue is not with the timer so back to looking at the element.

The resistance of the element is 80 Ohms so that seems good. The resistance from the element to the element housing should read MOhms if not open circuit. After forcing it a little I could see that the resistance was actually in the kOhm range. After drying out for the night it was 2 MOhms. I put it back in the fridge this morning and switched it on. The RCD tripped after about an hour. Re-rechecked the resistance and it was back around 20-200 kOhms so I disconnected the element again.

Long story short, a new element ordered. I've no time now to be searching around for a suitable second hand part or a non suitable one that I could make fit. So replacement ordered for € 184 :eek:

I hope it's the right call. The fridge is working away happily as I speak without any trips with the element disconnected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Terminator.

That's the way it should be with equipment

Nothing worse than opening a panel door and the schematic isn't there

Advertisement