Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats in area - does the City Council have an obligation to provide pest control?

Options
  • 20-07-2020 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

TL;DR - two rats in vicinity; not in anyone's property (yet); does Council have obligation to take care of it?

A bit of an odd one.

We've noticed two rats in and around our area. They scurry in and out from undergrowth near us which has grown in an unused path. They have been there for a number of weeks.

It is not on anyone's private property, and therefore none of us would have the obligation to deal with it. Moreover, I doubt our letting agency will deal with it since they are not in the property (yet...!)

My concern is the winter, when they might try make a move inside. Notwithstanding ourselves, we have number of elderly neighbours who I would be concerned about if the rats made their home there.

Does the city council provide pest control for "public" areas? Do they have an obligation to? A Google throws up no answers, so just putting it out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

I don't believe they do. However, it's worth a call to them anyway to let them know.

If you can see two there's at least 5/10 of them .......... might even be multiples of that if there's food source about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

HSE are responsible for them in public areas, on council property the answer is no, even if inside it, there’s been instances on the Northside a bit and only after a long hard battle did the council call in pest control. My car is in a shed on the property and I had 2 rats on top of the engine last week, I was told it’s in the tenancy agreement that it’s the tenants problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I contacted Cork City Council (general queries) and they have made a note that they will escalate it to the Parks Department.

We'll see how it goes.

The rats are coming out of undergrowth so it's not like they're in someone's garden in in someone's property for the owner to take care of...

Do you think there’s a nest in the undergrowth? If there I’d then great, if not it’s only moving the problem somewhere nearby.

• Advertisement

Do you think there’s a nest in the undergrowth? If there I’d then great, if not it’s only moving the problem somewhere nearby.

It's hard to tell, and I'm cautious to get too close to it the undergrowth...! The second rat only showed up over the weekend; up to now we've only seen one.

There are bins further up the laneway, but not where the rats have been. The undergrowth has some illegal dumping but nothing extraordinary.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    It's hard to tell, and I'm cautious to get too close to it the undergrowth...! The second rat only showed up over the weekend; up to now we've only seen one.

There are bins further up the laneway, but not where the rats have been. The undergrowth has some illegal dumping but nothing extraordinary.

What you’d be afraid of is with 2 of them there is how quickly they reproduce. A small problem becomes a major one in a short space of time

What you’d be afraid of is with 2 of them there is how quickly they reproduce. A small problem becomes a major one in a short space of time

My thoughts exactly.

I don't really have the cash to hire Rentoki and it is "public" property. I don't think a DIY job would be sensible (as it could just put a bandaid on the problem only for it to resurface).

I'll give the City Council a couple of days to assess/get back to me before I raise more emails - might be worth trying a Cllr?

My thoughts exactly.

I don't really have the cash to hire Rentoki and it is "public" property. I don't think a DIY job would be sensible (as it could just put a bandaid on the problem only for it to resurface).

I'll give the City Council a couple of days to assess/get back to me before I raise more emails - might be worth trying a Cllr?

Rentokil cost me €200 a few years ago, I can’t remember how many bait boxes I got but they ate the poison and died in the cavities of the house, the smell was there for weeks after.

I wouldn’t hold your breath with the city council, they are useless in every sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I'd be e-mailing and tweeting your councellor, closely followed by the TD...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

When it comes to rats, I think I would actually burn the whole area to the ground. Maybe 5 square kilometres, just to be sure.

I'm joking obviously but I hate the f******s. Best of luck with having it sorted out OP.

It's hard to tell, and I'm cautious to get too close to it the undergrowth...! The second rat only showed up over the weekend; up to now we've only seen one. ..........

How do you know you are seeing the same two all the time? Are you an expert in IDing rats?

Augeo wrote: »
    How do you know you are seeing the same two all the time? Are you an expert in IDing rats?

One is missing an eye for he's fairly distinctive. Granted, the second is only new and has no distinctive features.
    I'd be e-mailing and tweeting your councellor, closely followed by the TD...

Is there any particular Cllr I should go to in the area? Am not from Cork, so am not familiar with the political landscape here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Rats are found everywhere and I would have thought they were just a fact of life, unless they're actually in a council owned building they'd have no interest? Just don't give them a reason to come into your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

[/QUOTE]
    Is there any particular Cllr I should go to in the area? Am not from Cork, so am not familiar with the political landscape here.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to find out https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/councillors-and-democracy/meet-your-councillors/http:// for the councillors.

https://www.whoismytd.com/ To find out who your TD is.

If you've seen the movie Skyfall, there's a solution for dealing with rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

mikeym wrote: »

Disgusting behaviour , going on in Norrie land for years, imagine the poor ordinarily majority of residents having to put up with that ****e year in/ out,all locals dumping despite what some claim that it's outsiders ,this ould plamas keeps being belted out, until the council cop on ,gardai get serious ,and residents take action this crap will continue to go on as has been the case for years, happening everywhere at times but constant north of the river

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Same problem in Orchard Court in Blackpool, the vast majority of residents have wheelie bins, a very small number do not, the council did a survey some months back, asking for proof of refuse collection, and nothing has happened to those who did not provide proof. So every morning going out to work you have to step over nappies and horrible rubbish. Orchard Court is a mixture of private and council houses, and the problem tenants are not in council houses. The people doing the dumping are Irish and not foreign nationals. At times I am ashamed to be Irish.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dan Dare wrote: »
    Same problem in Orchard Court in Blackpool, the vast majority of residents have wheelie bins, a very small number do not, the council did a survey some months back, asking for proof of refuse collection, and nothing has happened to those who did not provide proof. :

I don't think anything can happen to the people who don't provide proof.
    No court will prosecute someone for failing to prove that they did not commit an offence, unless there is evidence that they did, in fact, commit an offence.

We have zero evidence that you did something wrong but we are going to prosecute you unless you can prove that you didn't do something wrong.
    Courts just don't work like that - we have an assumption of innocence until guilt is proven.

I'm not condoning illegal dumping, just pointing out that the above idea makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/news-room/latest-news/waste-segregation-presentation-bye-laws.pdf

Bye-laws are in place to support this and fines exist. They can enforce is quite easily if they want to. Not sure if anyone has been prosecuted yet to test the full legality of it, but it makes sense to be honest and should be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ludo wrote: »
    . Not sure if anyone has been prosecuted yet to test the full legality of it,

This is the crux of what you said.
    Right or wrong, I can't see it holding up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I dunno...I don't see the issue with it myself and it seems similar enough to TV license and they do prosecute for not having that.

One is missing an eye for he's fairly distinctive. Granted, the second is only new and has no distinctive features.

Is there any particular Cllr I should go to in the area? Am not from Cork, so am not familiar with the political landscape here.

FWIW, I have not heard anything further from the Council nor the Councillor I emailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Ludo wrote: »
    https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/news-room/latest-news/waste-segregation-presentation-bye-laws.pdf

Bye-laws are in place to support this and fines exist. They can enforce is quite easily if they want to. Not sure if anyone has been prosecuted yet to test the full legality of it, but it makes sense to be honest and should be enforced.

Why bother to call door to door to sixty plus households asking for proof of refuse collection if no action is going to be taken? Each weekday morning a council truck visits Orchard Court and collects sofas, old TV's and whatever rubbish is dumped there the night before. Then a couple of hours later a solitary council employee arrives to pick up the nappies, crisp packets, and God knows what else. Five days a week. CCTV is probably the answer. Orchard Court could be a lovely place to live, with the River Bride running along side, herons, wagtails and lots of other birds. Instead it is a kip,what a waste of money.

Advertisement