Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCAD Acceptance?

• 20-07-2020 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

Someone out of my class applied for the Moving Image Design/Graphic Design in NCAD and I applied to the same course as her. She got her results and was accepted and I didn't. What's going on there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lumee

Hey there! I could only imagine the disappointment not getting into the graphic design course at NCAD. I am a final year student in this course and applied into the same as you when I heard about it. I got the points with points to spare luckily, they liked my portfolio it seemed so I got the graphic design course.
    There are a couple of possibilites why you didnt get accepted.
    - Not enough developing of ideas, you would need to produce many creative ideas to impress the portfolio judges by using all types of media, mediums and skteches :)
    - No more space on the course, there is only 25 places, it is a competitive college to get into
    - Perhaps you didnt show enough balance of graphic design/ moving image work or didnt make it clear that graphic design was your passion, I sketched out a few typefaces in my notebook, and included graphic design elements throughout to make it clear i had an interest.
    and lastly
    - CAO, you need to put the course at the first choice in your cao and make sure you have met the minimum entry requirements alongside reading the portfolio guideline to get a clear understanding of what they want to see.

Hope this helps, have a nice day, if u need any portfolio advice/ questions about ncad experience, hit me up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mulvis

Hi there, my daughter is in first (common entry) year NCAD. She got accepted into both the common entry and graphic design/moving image streams. Her strong preference was graphic design but her art teacher had advised accepting the common entry offer so she went with that (I’d note that I think the NCAD website is poor and does not explain clearly the merits , or implications, of choosing direct entry vs common entry, especially given that I understand all first year (undergraduate) students have to complete the common entry year). Anyway, she had indicated graphic design as her preference as part of the year 2 streaming process but she found out today that she’s being offered a place in moving image rather than graphic design (which is ultimately what she wanted to do). She doesn’t have any interest in pursuing moving image design and unless she can transfer to graphic design I think it’s likely she’ll leave NCAD at the end of the academic year. She had been offered graphic design in iadt and indeed elsewhere so could I guess reapply but i thought I’d check if anyone had any advice, be it in relation to requesting a transfer to graphic design , or reapplying to say iadt (having previously been offered a place and comfortably exceeding the points threshold).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 squig8

Hey there I’m currently waiting on my ncad results at the moment, the collage wasn’t very clear when in April we can expect to get them would anyone know when I can expect to get my results from mead and from Iadt or even what time they were released last year? Thx!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 catmilk

I also wanna know lol, they originally said march them early April and were kinda last that now and still nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2 squig8

I’m 99% sure there coming out tomorrow!! Got Iadt today and NCAD released results this day last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Deirdre59

With ncad a place is not offered until sept. How do you know if portfolio score is enough to be offered a place. Any idea?

You have to kind of guess, what score did u get in each area? Like harder courses like fashion are gonna require a massive score

650 for fine art or common entry

You should be grand at least for common entry I wouldn’t worry

Thank you hate not knowing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

It would be good for your daughter to communicate with the tutors etc or even go to the design department and find out if there is any way that she can get into the stream she is hoping for.

Hopefully some places will become available, could some people may change and maybe places become available?

It would be a shame for her to have to move college, it could be good to communicate this to the department. There may be a process involved if places become available eg expressing interest , best of luck

Advertisement