Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mattress Query

Options
  • 20-07-2020 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hello.

Just a quick question, we been living in a rented apartment for almost four years now. We had the same mattress and bed set the whole time. Who knows how long it's been there. There lot's a little things wrong with the place but we put up with them as it's a Landlord market.

They put the rent up this year and we just kinda feel like asking for things now. The mattress it pretty beat up. The property agent came today (Our landlord is from Austrila and never been to Ireland), we asked about the mattress.
    She informed me we would have to pay for to get rid of the old one, pay for the new one, if we take the new one with us whenever we go, the cost of the mattress will be taken out of our deposit.

They all seem unfair to me. Other landlords have replaced mattress or allowed me to keep them. I don't think we should have to pay twice for a mattress.

Any one know, legally what the score is? thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

jface187 wrote: »
    Hello.

Just a quick question, we been living in a rented apartment for almost four years now. We had the same mattress and bed set the whole time. Who knows how long it's been there. There lot's a little things wrong with the place but we put up with them as it's a Landlord market.

They put the rent up this year and we just kinda feel like asking for things now. The mattress it pretty beat up. The property agent came today (Our landlord is from Austrila and never been to Ireland), we asked about the mattress.
    She informed me we would have to pay for to get rid of the old one, pay for the new one, if we take the new one with us whenever we go, the cost of the mattress will be taken out of our deposit.

They all seem unfair to me. Other landlords have replaced mattress or allowed me to keep them. I don't think we should have to pay twice for a mattress.

Any one know, legally what the score is? thank you.

We had the same, we were told you can replace them yourself but you have to either store the old ones or replace them. If they’re really sh1te you could get cheap ex student house ones to replace when you’re moving out from done deal and just get rid of what’s there.

If the mattress is rectangular and looks somewhat normal it’s unlikely you have any grounds to dispute it. If it’s heavily soiled etc you could send them pictures and go down the dispute route...

I think it’s a bit many being asked to sleep on a sh1tty lumpy dodgy mattress for thousands of euros a month.... but I don’t think there is much comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Yeah, I might do that. Stick the worst mattress I could get on it when we leave. The place was a bit of mess when we came. Two days after we moved in the bathroom flooded. They put us up in a nearby hotel and told us we would not have to pay the rent for that month. Can you guess what happen? Yeah, we had to pay for the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Mattresses and beds used to be a big bugbear of mine when we rented. Landlords are happy in some cases to stick whatever they can salvage in to their rented properties and leave it there for a decade.

I feel for you op, I don’t think there is much you can do however except go the route suggested, but your own and replace it with a used mattress when leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Buy your own. When leaving check out Done Deal or Free Trade and you will find ones free to take away.
    There is a lot to be said for the German practice where you rent empty apartments and furnish it yourself and leave it empty when leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I got in touch with Threshold. If the mattress is busted they do have to buy a new one. If it's a thing of just wanting a new one, the landlord has to pay for it to be moved and stored at the Landlord cost.

Of course what can I do? If I go back to the Landlord it could cause trouble, last thing I want is to get kick out. I no idea how anyone landlord's don't hold all the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

jface187 wrote: »
    I got in touch with Threshold. If the mattress is busted they do have to buy a new one. If it's a thing of just wanting a new one, the landlord has to pay for it to be moved and stored at the Landlord cost.

Of course what can I do? If I go back to the Landlord it could cause trouble, last thing I want is to get kick out. I no idea how anyone landlord's don't hold all the cards.

If you want a new one the landlord does NOT have to pay for removal and storage of the old one. Once again Threshold are shown to be a fountain of misinformation!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

We bought a new one and shoved the existing one under the bed until we were leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Edgware wrote: »
    Buy your own. When leaving check out Done Deal or Free Trade and you will find ones free to take away.
    There is a lot to be said for the German practice where you rent empty apartments and furnish it yourself and leave it empty when leaving.

Yeah, last house I had in Ireland was unfurnished and it was great to be able to buy your own stuff and not some hodge podge of free stuff found on done deal that a landlord pulled together. Same in the US for the last 5 years I've been there. Such a nicer way to live. Feels more like your own place. Should be the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Buy a new mattress. When you're leaving take it with you.
    It is not difficult to find a free 2nd hand mattress seeing as it costs to get rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yeah, last house I had in Ireland was unfurnished and it was great to be able to buy your own stuff and not some hodge podge of free stuff found on done deal that a landlord pulled together. Same in the US for the last 5 years I've been there. Such a nicer way to live. Feels more like your own place. Should be the standard.

Friend of mine renting in France didn’t even get a kitchen. So got an Ikea one and took it to the next place with him.
    Our rules are stupid. Don’t even allow the option on renting unfurnished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

ted1 wrote: »
    Friend of mine renting in France didn’t even get a kitchen. So got an Ikea one and took it to the next place with him.
    Our rules are stupid. Don’t even allow the option on renting unfurnished

No kitchen is a tad extreme :D

Advertisement